• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2022

Super Rugby 2022

• Go Blues

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Go cantabs

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go other NZ team.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go Force

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Go Tahs

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Go Brumbies

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go Reds

Votes: 30 31.9%
  • Go Rebs

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Go new PI teams

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go any team that plays the cantabs

Votes: 12 12.8%

• Total voters

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Obviously you have had your angry pills again & not done your research.

Not a single game clashes with any afl game in melbourne the whole weekend. There is 1 afl game in Ballarat at 1.10 on saturday afternoon & the only other games are at 7.40 on sunday night after the rebels & crusaders game & then on monday essendon v collingwood then its followed by the storm v the warriors.

The victorian govt have paid a lot of money to host the event after loosing 95% of all events they would normally host over the past 2 years & this round was put at this weekend for a reason being to bring ppl to melbourne.

Parking is never an issue at rebels games ever & any person who has lived in the city knows that unless your from glen waverly to doncaster area that public transport the easiest & most efficient way to get to Aami park/MCG/Rod Laver. If you must drive the mcg car park will be open & the Rebels game starts 3 hours before the rich v melb game will giving you ample to to get in & out.
It’s all well and good getting a few blow ins but the weekend will be dominated by the AFL it always is

The original weekend was so so so much better than ANZAC weekend doesn’t clash with people leaving town

You mention time slots but you fail to factor in money and budgets. While it may not directly be in the same time slots a lot of Melbourne families are already committed their money to AFL games that weekend that are big established traditions in Melbourne

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hi
It’s all well and good getting a few blow ins but the weekend will be dominated by the AFL it always is

The original weekend was so so so much better than ANZAC weekend doesn’t clash with people leaving town

You mention time slots but you fail to factor in money and budgets. While it may not directly be in the same time slots a lot of Melbourne families are already committed their money to AFL games that weekend that are big established traditions in Melbourne

I am sure they have done the research including considering how many more out of Towners might get for Anzac Day weekend. Reality is pushed for later time slot was always going to compete against Afl and at least Choosing holiday period where out of towners and others can commit to time to attend. Not their fault covid forced a reachedule.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

You just dont get it, super round is not for afl fans to all of a sudden start following rugby. The vic govt paid for it to get people from syd & bris to get on planes travel down stay in hotel go to pubs go to restaurants & help an economy that has been smashed the last 2 years.

I personally wanted it in townsville or the sunshine coast in june to get the hell out of here during the coldest time of the year down here, but the qld govt paid prob as much as the vic govt to get collingwood to play the gold coast in the school holiday for the exact same reason (get ppl spending money in their economy)

I only bought up the point about clashes/parking because you did & there wont be an issue. I have been to the mcg with 96k at the cricket & 11k basketball fans didn't complain when they played a game at 7pm afterwards across a bridge. I hardly think congestion is going to be an issue with at most 15k at Aami park at 4.30 followed by 80k at 7.40 over at the g. The only issue will be finding a table to dine, maybe having to find a 2nd bar in richmond because the 1st is full or catching what ever the hell variant is around come april.

I just hope I get to go to the shrine for the dawn service the next morning.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep, it obviously not what rugby wanted as original date was to be before AFL and I think NRL had started. But I think they have tried to make best of a bad situation, and I suspect that this is not the end of things that will be changed for Rugby, NRL or NRL over season, Good to see the weekend going ahead anyway.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think it is fab we got Victoria government continuing to want to invest in major rugby events in the state as can only help promote rugby in Victoria.
But it’s a shit house weekend to try and promote the game in Victoria. It’s the biggest weekend for the AFL outside of GF weekend

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
But it’s a shit house weekend to try and promote the game in Victoria. It’s the biggest weekend for the AFL outside of GF weekend

How many times do you have to be told, ITS NOT FOR AFL FANS TO BE CONVERTED ITS TO BRING PEOPLE INTO MELBOURNE! & IT DOESN'T CLASH.

You just wont listen

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
How many times do you have to be told, ITS NOT FOR AFL FANS TO BE CONVERTED ITS TO BRING PEOPLE INTO MELBOURNE! & IT DOESN'T CLASH.

You just wont listen
While in part it is to bring people two Melbourne it is also to support the game in Melbourne and it fails to achieve that on that weekend.

Being a Melbourne lad, I knew a lot of people who were non rugby fans who were keen to get down but won’t bother now

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
While in part it is to bring people two Melbourne it is also to support the game in Melbourne and it fails to achieve that on that weekend.

Being a Melbourne lad, I knew a lot of people who were non rugby fans who were keen to get down but won’t bother now

1st of all are the (lot of ppl you know, who clearly didnt rock up last yr when we were getting 5K to a game) not going the whole weekend because there are afl 3 games in victoria that weekend & only 2 in melbourne or are they not going because the rebels game at 4pm sunday clashes with the suns v lions game? (at a guess I would say neither & your making that up)

2nd of all go on hero tell us what the alternative is? The original weekend would have been great but oh yeah thats right the nz govt still wont let anyone in to nz in feb & are making passport holders quarantine. SRpac have to work around the a-league with 3 male (& some female fixtures) teams currently using Aami park till april with fixtures in place & options to host a grand final as well as the storm fixture who have 1st option of the ground. This is actually a win because the storm play the warriors on the monday at 7pm offering more ppl the option of spending a few days down in melbourne.

3rd point, all you ever do is get on here & complain without ever doing your research or offer a real option to stand your argument. Where is the melbourne's biggest growth area's for rugby? south east & outer west. The only afl team that has a foothold in any of those areas is the outer west & I would put my bottom dollar that a rugby kid from Tarneit would rather go to aami park than go to Ballarat to watch the bulldogs. Theres not even a game in geelong that weekend!

If you really are a rebels man then come next year I would suggest that you vote for the supreme leader dan because if Matthew Guy wins & then decides that a Lions test once every 12 years, an england test every 5 years & a bledisloe every 8 years is not viable you can kiss the franchise good bye. Paul Docherty at brc captial may have deep pockets but I guarantee he ain't bank rolling a club like twiggy is.

Give up pal you have zero idea!

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
1st of all are the (lot of ppl you know, who clearly didnt rock up last yr when we were getting 5K to a game) not going the whole weekend because there are afl 3 games in victoria that weekend & only 2 in melbourne or are they not going because the rebels game at 4pm sunday clashes with the suns v lions game? (at a guess I would say neither & your making that up)

2nd of all go on hero tell us what the alternative is? The original weekend would have been great but oh yeah thats right the nz govt still wont let anyone in to nz in feb & are making passport holders quarantine. SRpac have to work around the a-league with 3 male (& some female fixtures) teams currently using Aami park till april with fixtures in place & options to host a grand final as well as the storm fixture who have 1st option of the ground. This is actually a win because the storm play the warriors on the monday at 7pm offering more ppl the option of spending a few days down in melbourne.

3rd point, all you ever do is get on here & complain without ever doing your research or offer a real option to stand your argument. Where is the melbourne's biggest growth area's for rugby? south east & outer west. The only afl team that has a foothold in any of those areas is the outer west & I would put my bottom dollar that a rugby kid from Tarneit would rather go to aami park than go to Ballarat to watch the bulldogs. Theres not even a game in geelong that weekend!

If you really are a rebels man then come next year I would suggest that you vote for the supreme leader dan because if Matthew Guy wins & then decides that a Lions test once every 12 years, an england test every 5 years & a bledisloe every 8 years is not viable you can kiss the franchise good bye. Paul Docherty at brc captial may have deep pockets but I guarantee he ain't bank rolling a club like twiggy is.

Give up pal you have zero idea!
Speaking of complaining you have a thesis of shit right there.

People won’t go because of when it is. I have two membership and go to most games, I have the second seat because it’s Melbourne and as soon as the footy’s on it hard to get people interested to go to the rugby so give a mate a free seat and they are a bit more interested

Just because notionally there is one side in West Melbourne and one side in the south east Aussie rules still dominates out there. The Mornington Peninsula Football League is one of the strongest in the entire state

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Speaking of complaining you have a thesis of shit right there.

People won’t go because of when it is. I have two membership and go to most games, I have the second seat because it’s Melbourne and as soon as the footy’s on it hard to get people interested to go to the rugby so give a mate a free seat and they are a bit more interested

Just because notionally there is one side in West Melbourne and one side in the south east Aussie rules still dominates out there. The Mornington Peninsula Football League is one of the strongest in the entire state

more dribble complain from your self still avoiding to offer any viable options

Go on enlighten us with you solution, where all waiting

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
more dribble complain from your self still avoiding to offer any viable options

Go on enlighten us with you solution, where all waiting
Just because you have got it badly wrong with your crap about the AFL struggling for a foothold in the south east. You’re just embarrassing yourself champ

As I said any week that’s not ANZAC week as there is increased competition

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Just because you have got it badly wrong with your crap about the AFL struggling for a foothold in the south east. You’re just embarrassing yourself champ

As I said any week that’s not ANZAC week as there is increased competition

You are really making yourself look stupid here, I haven’t been incorrect once at explaining to you why it was moved to Anzac weekend & I have asked you several times when would a better time to do it be but all you do is carry on like a 9yo that doesn’t get his way. Everyone here knows why it’s on that weekend & supports it.

when would be a better weekend to have it???

you either refuse to do any research into the viability of it or worse you have realised your wrong & dance around it by whinging.

Your a Karen jog on & please make sure you never sit near me at a game.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZ has had its first community case of Omicron confirmed. Gov will announce their response at 11am today & I'm thinking it will involve a tightening of restrictions at the border.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Obviously any reaction in NZ has a direct impact on SRP (Super Rugby Pacific). But discussion on the wisdom or otherwise of govt Covid moves should probably go here.

It would be good to avoid multiple actual rugby threads devolving to the very predictable COVID polemics.