• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2024 General Chat

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Cool idea, but like all things in Rugby, poor execution.

The competition only runs every 4 years??? Fans won't give a crap about it. Just run it every year like football does.
Do the football clubs take it seriously? As a casual observer I don't think I've ever heard about it, unlike say, the UEFA Champions League

Reactions: dru

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Do the football clubs take it seriously? As a casual observer I don't think I've ever heard about it, unlike say, the UEFA Champions League
They do not but that's because realistically the Champions League is the premier competition and the winner of that will almost always win the CWC.

I think this comp would (hopefully) be more analagous to the champs league.

Last edited:

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
They do not but that's because realistically the Champions League is the premier competition and the winner of that will almost always with the CWC.

I think this comp would (hopefully) be more analagous to the champs league.
Doesn't European rugby already have one of those?

Anyway, looking forward to the Reds having a bunch of 1am and 3am games, with the final being played at ridiculous o'clock on a Monday morning, with no-one in Australia watching

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Anyway, looking forward to the Reds having a bunch of 1am and 3am games, with the final being played at ridiculous o'clock on a Monday morning, with no-one in Australia watching
True it does, but I would expect the Kiwi sides to be at the top of that competition regularly should they be involved.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
True it does, but I would expect the Kiwi sides to be at the top of that competition regularly should they be involved.
I think the NH teams will be in for a rude shock from the kiwi sides. Maybe maybe Leinster and Toulouse/La Rochelle will hold their own but the rest are in trouble.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

They’re doing a new format from next year. Even if it’s a Mickey Mouse competition, the money is not;

“The total prize money is around €2.5bn and an initial €2bn will be distributed among the 32 teams that book their plane tickets to the USA. Qualification therefore brings €50m as a minimum, while there will be other results-based bonuses and the winner will receive around €100m.”

Wilson

David Codey (61)
They’re doing a new format from next year. Even if it’s a Mickey Mouse competition, the money is not;

“The total prize money is around €2.5bn and an initial €2bn will be distributed among the 32 teams that book their plane tickets to the USA. Qualification therefore brings €50m as a minimum, while there will be other results-based bonuses and the winner will receive around €100m.”
Raises interesting questions around the funding breakdown for the rugby equivalent. Northern hemisphere teams with their private owners would want individual team funding, but with everything managed by the national unions down here it's likely they'd want to direct funding through RA and NZRU to spread the love a bit. Anything else could end up being pretty destabilising for a comp that is already unbalanced and without a consistent salary cap or levelling measures.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Football money is otherworldly - but I am not convinced that's a good thing. Football at the top echelons is horribly predictable most of the time (across competitions - higher chance of one off upsets).

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Raises interesting questions around the funding breakdown for the rugby equivalent. Northern hemisphere teams with their private owners would want individual team funding, but with everything managed by the national unions down here it's likely they'd want to direct funding through RA and NZRU to spread the love a bit. Anything else could end up being pretty destabilising for a comp that is already unbalanced and without a consistent salary cap or levelling measures.

This is where the IRFU model works; things like prize money/participation fees for the European Championship are pooled by the IRFU and distributed across all the clubs. RA should adopt the same approach.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Football at the top echelons is horribly predictable most of the time (across competitions - higher chance of one off upsets

Sure that’s definitely a worry. At the same time, has Super Rugby thanks to the Crusaders or International rugby thanks to the All Blacks over the last 20 years been any better?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Sure that’s definitely a worry. At the same time, has Super Rugby thanks to the Crusaders or International rugby thanks to the All Blacks over the last 20 years been any better?
I would argue that the gap between the teams has reduced but the ultimate result is still more or less ABs or Springboks win.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)

Not to mention the season here has to start early February that year, nothing like a February game of Rugby Suncorp in 100% humidity and the small issue of the other 6 Super Rugby teams who's business model that year will run for 4 months, with mad Monday in June.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think every 4 years is all we can expect or hope for at this tage, and I will be watching it. The trouble with having it more often is probably how much it buggers up other comps, and WC years and Lions tour years would be pretty difficult.
And in anyway comparing it so soccer doesn't work, Realistically you can play a couple of games a week in soccer, and the complexity of rugby, you need teams to have good traing runs etc for each individual team they paly.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Throw in a potential new NRL team in Christchurch and NZRU will start to feel similar pressure to what the RA have faced for decades.

Might be enough to actually trigger a real decision of overhauling what professional rugby in Oceania looks like

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
It does mirror Australia somewhat, in nz where an independent review showed the board not fit to run a professional sport and needed to be replaced, yet the board has chosen not to implicate that recommendation, RA anyone.

My whole point about Super Rugby compared to the NRL/AFL is those competitions are essentially business models, that model drives growth, improvements, corrects mistakes, they are better business's simple.???

Rugby Union is a sport run by a committee, with varying levels of self interest so unable to adjust or stop the decline in front of it.

Hence the train wreck that is Super Rugby.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It does mirror Australia somewhat, in nz where an independent review showed the board not fit to run a professional sport and needed to be replaced, yet the board has chosen not to implicate that recommendation, RA anyone.

My whole point about Super Rugby compared to the NRL/AFL is those competitions are essentially business models, that model drives growth, improvements, corrects mistakes, they are better business's simple.???

Rugby Union is a sport run by a committee, with varying levels of self interest so unable to adjust or stop the decline in front of it.

Hence the train wreck that is Super Rugby.

I think it's worse than that hoggy. I would hope that at least that self interest met a minimal of management in support of the grass roots, even if at the detriment of the professional game. I'm unconvinced that has been the case.

We find ourselves in a position where survival may, at least in the interim, see all elements pulling together.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Actually the $1.8 mill is not from all provinces etc, it's total that is being scaled down as some were getting extra payments after floods for last couple of years, and NZR are paying $3mill to gov't that PUs got from covid payments. So it's actually more money going out.
But the governance thing has been bubbling along for a while. the report they got done suggested that it should be run by a complete seperate board, and PUs aren't keen on letting go of their say. Nichols from RUPA wants all recommendations taken as written, but obviously the provincial unuions still want some say. I kind of torn betwixt and between who is right, any time it discussed you end up with arguments of who owns the game tc. I leaving it to smarter people than me to work out.
On the reporter that wrote article, I can honestly say I have no idea , as this is first time I have noticed his name, but then again I ignore the Herald as a newspaper, kind of sensationist for me.