• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU 2021 -Rd 4 - Force v Rebels - Fri 12/3

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yes unless the Force have decided a policy to drop their best players for the last game they would have to be both injury related.

Pity as Anstee in particular was a joy to watch and really the game changer that won the Force the game with the set up of one try and strong line out running play for the second....what a talent he looks like to leverage for his 7's skills into the 15 game

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Haha, that's laughable.

Even if they lose this they have 2 bonus points in the 2 hardest fixtures.

They have 2 fixtures vs the Tahs and would have return fixtures at home against the Force, Reds and Brums.

Even if they only pick up a bonus point this week, given the remaining fixture list they would be poised to be the most likely to gather the required wins of teams remaining games to sneak in.

I suspect both the Force and Rebels will both share a win each this year against each other and both teams will beat the Tahs twice. However for the Force to sneak into the finals, they will have to show they can pick up points against the Reds and Brums. Something the Rebels already have done.
We want to have our destiny in our own hands and not rely on results going our way. If we fail to win we put pressure on ourselves to be perfect at home. Not to mention this is an 8 point game as the force is the side we are competing with for a spot in the finals

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Rebels team to face the Western Force:
1. Cabous Eloff
2. James Hanson
3. Pone Fa'amausili
4. Ross Haylett-Petty
5. Trevor Hosea
6. Josh Kemeny
7. Richard Hardwick
8. Michael Wells
9. Joe Powell
10. Matt To'omua (C)
11. Marika Koroibete
12. Reece Hodge
13. Stacey Ili
14. Lachie Anderson
15. Tom Pincus
16. Ed Craig
17. Isaac Aedo Kailea
18. Lucio Sordoni
19. Steve Cummins
20. Rob Leota
21. Tom Nowlan/Brad Wilkin
22. Glen Vaihu
23. Frank Lomani/Carter Gordon

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I wouldn't be at all surprised if this game goes the way of most Rebels v Force games.

Rebels by < 7 points.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Surprised Pone has been picked. After the massive hit to the head he received 6 days prior to this game I am surprised he has/will have passed concussion protocols.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I have to admit I was surprised to see his name. Especially with the big recent focus on accountability and concussions.

Do you reckon it is a ploy, Scooter? Name him in the team and then sub him out in the lead up to the game to throw off Force planning?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Surprised Pone has been picked. After the massive hit to the head he received 6 days prior to this game I am surprised he has/will have passed concussion protocols.
Being a 1st half concussion he could have passed the post game test. Everyone has different reactions, as long as the doctors have done the right thing by him I am happy

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
I have to admit I was surprised to see his name. Especially with the big recent focus on accountability and concussions.

Do you reckon it is a ploy, Scooter? Name him in the team and then sub him out in the lead up to the game to throw off Force planning?

Forcefield we are quite thin on fit props at the moment, possibly named him (2 days before game) hoping he passes protocols / to give him every chance to pass protocols. Maybe wishful thinking.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him withdrawn from the team. In these circumstances I would prefer the Rebels to err on side of caution.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Being a 1st half concussion he could have passed the post game test. Everyone has different reactions, as long as the doctors have done the right thing by him I am happy

KevinO there are protocols for a reason. Teams named 4 days after incident, so he wouldn't have passed all protocols by then. If he has passed them since it is reasonable that he plays.

I am still half expecting that he doesn't.

Red Dave

Frank Row (1)
I'm not a fan of bonus points for finishing close. You either win or lose.

Agree, not sure what the logic for it is - a team that lost 3 close ones is better than a team that lost by 3 big margins? Perhaps, but they weren't playing the same games so it's not a very scientific comparison.

If they are on the same points at the end of the season and need to be separated, then points for/against achieves that anyway.

And I don't see the fairness in promoting a side that lost a few close ones ahead of a team that actually won more games.