• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU 2021 Team of the Week

dru

Tim Horan (67)
1. Robertson
2. Kaitu’u
3. Tupou
4. Hosea
5. Timani
6. ASY (Angus Scott-Young)
7. McReight
8. Wilson
9. McDermott
10. To'omua
11. Koroibete
12. Paisami
13. Petaia
14. Vunivalu
15. Pincus

ditto

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
My picks for round 5.........

1. Robertson (Force)
2. Kaitu’u (Force)
3. Tupou (Reds)
4. Hosea (Rebels)
5. Timani (Force)
6. Scott-Young (Reds)
7. McReight (Reds)
8. Wilson (Reds)
9. McDermott (Reds)
10. To'omua (Rebels)
11. Koroibete (Rebels)
12. Paisami (Reds)
13. Ili (Rebels)
14. Vunivalu (Red)
15. Campbell (Reds)

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
1 Robertson (Force)
2 Kaitu’u (Force)
3 Tupou (Reds)
4 Hosea (Rebels)
5 Timani (Force)
6 ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (Reds)
7 McReight (Reds)
8 Wilson (Reds)
9 Powell (Rebels)
10 To'omua (Rebels)
11 Koroibete (Rebels)
12 Paisami (Reds)
13 Ili (Rebels)
14 Vunivalu (Reds)
15 Campbell (Reds)

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
1. Johnson-Holmes (WAR)
2. Kaitu'u (FOR)
3. Fa'amausili (REB)
4. Timani (FOR)
5. Hosea (REB)
6. Lee-Warner (FOR)
7. McReight (RED)
8. Wilson (RED)
9. McDermott (RED)
10. To'omua (REB)
11. Koroibete (REB)
12. Paisami (RED)
13. Petaia (RED)
14. Vunivalu (RED)
15. Pincus (REB)

Not as controversial as previous weeks save for the HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) pick. Seems to me that Robertson has had the benefit of the 'I'll pick him because everyone else is ' syndrome, I don't really see where he stood out. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) on the other hand was the polish on a turd - reverted back to the loosehead, played 80 minutes, made a lot of metres and a lot of tackles, generally never gave up.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I went Robertson because he was apart of a very good Scrum against Tupou. Perhaps that’s was primarily Holmes but no other standout LH saw him selected in this spot

Reactions: dru

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Not as controversial as previous weeks save for the HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) pick. Seems to me that Robertson has had the benefit of the 'I'll pick him because everyone else is ' syndrome, I don't really see where he stood out. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) on the other hand was the polish on a turd - reverted back to the loosehead, played 80 minutes, made a lot of metres and a lot of tackles, generally never gave up.
Isn’t it at least possible we all picked Robertson because he played well?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Isn’t it at least possible we all picked Robertson because he played well?

Sure, I’m not saying he didn’t, just found it hard to identify him as a unanimous standout. I was more justifying my selection of HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
OFFICIAL G&GR SUPER AU TEAM OF THE WEEK

ROUND FIVE:

1. ROBERTSON (Force) - 1 selection(s)
2. KAITU'U (Force) - 2
3. TUPOU (Reds) - 2
4. HOSEA (Rebels) - 3
5. TIMANI (Force) - 1
6. SCOTT-YOUNG (Reds) - 1
7. MCREIGHT (Reds) - 3
8. WILSON (Reds) - 1
9. MCDERMOTT (Reds) - 1
10. To'omua (Rebels) - 3
11. KOROIBETE (Rebels) - 3
12. PAISAMI (Reds) - 2
13. PETAIA (Reds) - 2
14. VUNIVALU (Reds) - 1
15. PINCUS (Rebels) - 1

.......... and since we're at the halfway point of the regular season, this is the team of the year thus far:

1. Slipper / Eloff - 2
2. Mafi / Kaitu'u - 2
3. Ala'alatoa / Tupou - 2
4. Neville -3
5. Hosea - 3
6. Valetini - 3
7. McReight - 3
8. Samu - 3
9. White - 3
10. To'omua - 3
11. Koroibete - 3
12. Simone / Paisami - 2
13. Ikitau - 4
14. Muirhead - 2
15. Banks - 2

Petaia does have 2 votes, split between one match on the right wing and another at outside centre.

I was tempted to bracket him with Muirhead, but I see him mostly playing 13 going forward........... will re-evaluate if that changes.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
OFFICIAL G&GR SUPER AU TEAM OF THE WEEK

ROUND FIVE:

1. ROBERTSON (Force) - 1 selection(s)
2. KAITU'U (Force) - 2
3. TUPOU (Reds) - 2
4. HOSEA (Rebels) - 3
5. TIMANI (Force) - 1
6. SCOTT-YOUNG (Reds) - 1
7. MCREIGHT (Reds) - 3
8. WILSON (Reds) - 1
9. MCDERMOTT (Reds) - 1
10. To'omua (Rebels) - 3
11. KOROIBETE (Rebels) - 3
12. PAISAMI (Reds) - 2
13. PETAIA (Reds) - 2
14. VUNIVALU (Reds) - 1
15. PINCUS (Rebels) - 1

.... and since we're at the halfway point of the regular season, this is the team of the year thus far:

1. Slipper / Eloff - 2
2. Mafi / Kaitu'u - 2
3. Ala'alatoa / Tupou - 2
4. Neville -3
5. Hosea - 3
6. Valetini - 3
7. McReight - 3
8. Samu - 3
9. White - 3
10. To'omua - 3
11. Koroibete - 3
12. Simone / Paisami - 2
13. Ikitau - 4
14. Muirhead - 2
15. Banks - 2

Petaia does have 2 votes, split between one match on the right wing and another at outside centre.

I was tempted to bracket him with Muirhead, but I see him mostly playing 13 going forward..... will re-evaluate if that changes.

That's a pretty nifty team of the year so far.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Round 6......... I'm getting in early, so might change my mind on a couple on the re-watch:

1. Zander (Reds)
2. Mafi (Reds)
3. Slipper (Brumbies)
4. Swain (Brumbies)
5. Neville (Brumbies)
6. Valetini (Brumbies)
7. McReight (Reds)
8. Harris (Waratahs)
9. McDermott (Reds)
10. Lolesio (Brumbies)
11. Daugunu (Reds)
12. Paisami (Reds)
13. Ikitau (Brumbies)
14. Muirhead (Brumbies)
15. Banks (Brumbies)

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
1. Zander (RED)
2. Mafi (RED)
3. Slipper (BRU)
4. Swain (BRU)
5. Neville (BRU)
6. Valetini (BRU)
7. McReight (RED)
8. Samu (BRU)
9. McDermott (RED)
10. Lolesio (BRU)
11. Daugunu (RED)
12. Paisami (RED)
13. Ikitau (BRU)
14. Muirhead (BRU)
15. Maddocks (WAR)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We're almost in alignment DC.........

I decided in the end to change from Lloyd to Zander - two dominant LH performances, similar stats, but Lloyd was carded and gave away a couple of penalties.

As for Samu, I just can't reward him after that embarrassing botched try - I was actually torn between Harris and Uru, and statistically they're very similar but I felt like Harris just edged him, especially playing in a team getting dominated.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
We're almost in alignment DC...

I decided in the end to change from Lloyd to Zander - two dominant LH performances, similar stats, but Lloyd was carded and gave away a couple of penalties.

As for Samu, I just can't reward him after that embarrassing botched try - I was actually torn between Harris and Uru, and statistically they're very similar but I felt like Harris just edged him, especially playing in a team getting dominated.

Yeah I was very reluctant to give it to Zander, pretty poor week for looseheads. He got it because of Lloyd's discipline. Likewise for #8, Seagull Samu got it for me despite being dominated by McGregor(?).

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I went Robertson because he was apart of a very good Scrum against Tupou. Perhaps that’s was primarily Holmes but no other standout LH saw him selected in this spot

Has anyone thought that Zander may be the best loose head, but because he does not get the chance to go against Tupou he is not recognised for his ability?

He has had a great season so far but gets overlooked, if he was in poor form, no matter how good Tupou is the Reds srcum would fall apart.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Has anyone thought that Zander may be the best loose head, but because he does not get the chance to go against Tupou he is not recognised for his ability?

He has had a great season so far but gets overlooked, if he was in poor form, no matter how good Tupou is the Reds srcum would fall apart.

Nah, certainly not........ because in recent weeks the Reds scrum hasn't actually fared too well against their opposing starting front rows, and Zander has definitely been bested by the likes of Pone, Greg Holmes and Tom Ross.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
1 Zander (RED)
2 Mafi (RED)
3 Slipper (BRU)
4 Swain (BRU)
5 Neville (BRU)
6 Scott-Young (RED)
7 McReight (RED)
8 Samu (BRU)
9 McDermott (RED)
10 Harrison (WAR)
11 Daugunu (RED)
12 Paisami (RED)
13 Ikitau (RED)
14 Muirhead (BRU)
15 Maddocks (WAR)

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)

Nope, he’s a solid performer but is a long way off some of Slippers performances and especially Eloff this season.