• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU 2021 Team of the Week

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
1. Sio (Brumbies)
2. Fainga'a (Brumbies)
3. Tupou (Reds)
4. Hosea (Rebels)
5. Neville (Brumbies)
6. Valetini (Brumbies)
7. McReight (Reds)
8. Samu (Brumbies)
9. White (Brumbies)
10. JOC (James O'Connor) (Reds)
11 Koroibete (Rebels)
12. Paisami (Reds)
13. Ikitau (Brumbies)
14. Muirhead (Brumbies)
15 Campbell (Reds)

It is often said on these threads that the toughest assignment in Aus rugby is to pack down at LHP against Tupou. That was Scott Sio's task this weekend and he held his own against one of the strongest/toughest opponents in the game. I reckon his was a standout performance at LHP.

No 4 was a tough pick; not many good to very good performers and I was nearly swayed by KOB and Reg to go Darcy Swain's way, but couldn't really say he stood out more than Hosea.

So little between White and Powell, and between Campbell and Banks. Both could have gone either way.

Reactions: dru

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
1. Eloff
2. Fainga’a
3. Tupou
4. Neville
5. Hosea
6. Lee-Warner
7. McReight
8. Samu
9. White
10. JO'C
11. Koroibete
12. Paisami
13. Ili
14. Muirhead
15. Pincus

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
1. Eloff
2 . Fainga’a
3. Tupou
4. Neville
5. Hosea
6. Valentini
7. Hardwick
8. Samu
9. Powell
10. O’Connor
11. Koroibete
12. Kahui
13. Ikatau
14. Muirhead
15. Kearney

12 was coin toss against Paisami while 15 was also coin toss with Pincus

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Kemeny and glass houses...
Kemeny was superb if Eloff didn’t play would be close to best of ground. The differential in Eloff performance (perhaps player of the round) and Sio was huge compared to the discrepancy to Kemeny and Valetini was marginal. For the record Kemeny had more runs and more tackles than Valetini I’m not going to kid myself that the runs were of the same quality but the work rate was superb, in other words it would be easy to construct an argument for the decision.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Kemeny was superb if Eloff didn’t play would be close to best of ground. The differential in Eloff performance (perhaps player of the round) and Sio was huge compared to the discrepancy to Kemeny and Valetini was marginal.

Best on ground? I think Marika Koroibete wants a word.........

Kemeny wasn't even in the same league as Valetini, who to quote Paul Cully was "the dominant physical force among the back-rowers, on the both sides of the ball."

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Best on ground? I think Marika Koroibete wants a word...

Kemeny wasn't even in the same league as Valetini, who to quote Paul Cully was "the dominant physical force among the back-rowers, on the both sides of the ball."

You do realise Eloff was official MOTM.

That was a quote from 1 match, you do realise there was 2 games this week? Something I think some people often forget.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

That was a quote from 1 match, you do realise there was 2 games this week? Something I think some people often forget.

I do realise said things......... however, in comparing Valetini and Kemeny's games, the former was significantly more dominant in just about every facet of the game than the latter in their respective matches, and IMO was one of the players of the round.

Also, I don't even know if Kemeny was even the best 6 in his match.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Best on ground? I think Marika Koroibete wants a word...

on the flip side, Kemeny didn't lose the game for his team.......

Dusky W

Allen Oxlade (6)
1 Eloff (REB)
2 Kaitu’u (FOR)
3 Tupou (RED)
4 Swain (BRU)
5 Hosea (REB)
6 Valentini (BRU))
7 McReight (RED)
8 Samu (BRU)
9 White (BRU)
10 OÇonnor (RED))
11 Koroibete (REB)
12 Paisami (RED)
13 Ikitau (BRU)
14 Muirhead (BRU)
15 Campbell (RED)

If Uru had played 30 more minutes I would have considered him for 5. That one run set up the Reds win and he did the non-showy work as well.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

R3, the difference in quality between the two games almost led me to consider Reds and Brumbies players only this week. I agree with KARL'S comments elsewhere that an ABs selection right now would contain mostly Crusaders and Blues players, while a Wallaby selection would be mostly Reds and Brumbies players.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
R3, the difference in quality between the two games almost led me to consider Reds and Brumbies players only this week. I agree with KARL'S comments elsewhere that an ABs selection right now would contain mostly Crusaders and Blues players, while a Wallaby selection would be mostly Reds and Brumbies players.

Hmmm..... When the Brumbies lose to the Reds by 3 points it's exclusively Reds and Brumbies.
When Rebels do the same & lose to the Reds by 3 points (and the Brumbies), you don't select them because they're the losing team.
Take off the glasses :)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
OFFICIAL G&GR SUPER AU TEAM OF THE WEEK

ROUND FOUR:

1. ELOFF (Rebels) - 2 selection(s)
2. FAINGA’A (Brumbies) - 1
3. TUPOU (Reds) - 1
4. Neville (Brumbies) - 3
5. HOSEA (Rebels) - 2
6. VALETINI (Brumbies) - 3
7. MCREIGHT (Reds) - 2
8. SAMU (Brumbies) - 3
9. WHITE (Brumbies) - 3
10. O’CONNOR (Reds) - 2
11. KOROIBETE (Rebels) - 2
12. PAISAMI (Reds) - 1
13. IKITAU (Brumbies) - 4
14. MUIRHEAD (Brumbies) - 2
15. CAMPBELL (Reds) - 1

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
1. Eloff
2. Kaitu’u
3. Pone
4. Hosea
5. Timani
6. Hardwick
7. McReight
8. Wilson
9. Tate
10. To'omua
11. Koroibete
12. Paisami
13. Petaia
14. Vunivalu
15. Pincus

Took the liberty in putting Hardwick at 6, because he was close to best on for the Rebels but McReight was immovable.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
1. Robertson
2. Kaitu’u
3. Tupou
4. Blyth
5. Timani
6. Hardwick
7. McReight
8. Wilson
9. Tate
10. To'omua