• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU Rd 9 Force v Waratahs

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
and if it was only slightly worse it could be a wheelchair

I recognise that the tackle could be seen as a soft yellow card, but the possible consequences of such a tackle should be relevant and it should get a red card in my opinion, especially now that a Red card allows a replacement.
Swinton didn't just lift and drop - he crashed down on the ball carrier too. Yellow was certainly deserved.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Swinton was lucky not to get red, for all his qualities the guy doesn't have a brain to bless himself. When Dempsey returns, I can't see how he can hold his place, surely Tizzano and Harris retain their spots.
Tahs have improved immeasurable, but have developed the ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. If ever a team was their own worst enemy it's this Tahs side.
Having said all that, I hope they keep the bulk of this side together for a few years, I think in two or three years we could really have something.

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
Swinton was lucky not to get red, for all his qualities the guy doesn't have a brain to bless himself. When Dempsey returns, I can't see how he can hold his place, surely Tizzano and Harris retain their spots.
Tahs have improved immeasurable, but have developed the ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. If ever a team was their own worst enemy it's this Tahs side.
Having said all that, I hope they keep the bulk of this side together for a few years, I think in two or three years we could really have something.

Have to agree here Swinton must have played more games for the Tahs where he has received a card than not. The Tahs backline is shaping up as one of the most threatening in the comp, if Maddocks fires they just look so much more lethal, they surely can find a better wing option then Newsome even the try he scored last night he made look difficult.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Donaldson was solid at 10 with some nice touches. Perese was excellent again. He’s an angry lad though and is always on the edge and not far away from a card.
Could be a Smokey for the Wallabies at 13.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yeah Swinton is a muppet. I've been saying it since first seeing him playing for Uni in the Shute Shield. He's either brainless, a wannabe hard man or both. Would you want him in a knock out stage game at the RWC?

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's interesting that the commentary here is that the Waratahs were unlucky to lose.

The WF went into the sheds ahead 18:10, had a poor 20 minutes after the break, was 9 points down with 10 minutes left, scored a good try through Jordan O showing good skills out wide, another excellent conversion by Miotti and then showed a high level of discipline and patience to put together 20 phases after the final hooter to draw the off-side penalty in front of the sticks.

Looked like a very good, well-crafted, well-deserved WF win to me.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It's interesting that the commentary here is that the Waratahs were unlucky to lose.

The WF went into the sheds ahead 18:10, had a poor 20 minutes after the break, was 9 points down with 10 minutes left, scored a good try through Jordan O showing good skills out wide, another excellent conversion by Miotti and then showed a high level of discipline and patience to put together 20 phases after the final hooter to draw the off-side penalty in front of the sticks.

Looked like a very good, well-crafted, well-deserved WF win to me.
I think the main vibe was that they were stupid to lose.
They had the lead (unjustly or otherwise, I guess), got a penalty, cleared it, then fucked up the lineout, which, had they secured should have enabled them to win with a few pick and drives and a kick to touch. If they were smart. Most posts seem to be pointing out that it was dumb play.
You can perhaps pop the chip back in the bowl! ;)

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I’m amazed there hasn’t been any discussion around this, but I’m interested if anyone can shed any light on who she penalized for being off side? This is the screenshot of the clearance, so it’s not anyone on screen and she isn’t in position to pin anyone out wider as she is looking the other way:
0EA7A9F9-FB9D-4AA0-8E8A-D8192164817E.jpeg

They change cameras and zoom in immediately after this but it’s running back to this tackle that she puts her arm out. It’s the player with the leg bandage making the tackle which I think is Perese, but he’s clearly onside in the previous shot
EA07B077-0189-4C40-9CD3-117144781CD7.jpeg

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Froggy, you are coming down quite hard on them. I have to say I hate the influence of the officials in the last 5 - 10 minutes of any (every) game. Perplexing penalties are the norm, maybe correct by the letter of the law but more often than not completely at odds with the way the rest of the game was refereed. I am starting to think that no penalty goal attempts should be allowed after the 70 minute mark, to take the referees out of the game to some extent.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I’m amazed there hasn’t been any discussion around this, but I’m interested if anyone can shed any light on who she penalized for being off side? This is the screenshot of the clearance, so it’s not anyone on screen and she isn’t in position to pin anyone out wider as she is looking the other way:
View attachment 12205
They change cameras and zoom in immediately after this but it’s running back to this tackle that she puts her arm out. It’s the player with the leg bandage making the tackle which I think is Perese, but he’s clearly onside in the previous shot
View attachment 12207

My understanding is most off-side calls are coming from the assistant referees

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
View attachment 12205
View attachment 12207

From memory, the penalty was straight in front of the sticks so no-one in the shot was the offender.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
My understanding is most off-side calls are coming from the assistant referees

I wondered that and her actions would probably confirm that, but I’d still be interested to know who was offside enough for it to draw a penalty. It doesn’t appear to be anyone in either of those shots.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Have to agree here Swinton must have played more games for the Tahs where he has received a card than not. The Tahs backline is shaping up as one of the most threatening in the comp, if Maddocks fires they just look so much more lethal, they surely can find a better wing option then Newsome even the try he scored last night he made look difficult.

A bit over the top claiming the Tahs backline as (one of) the most threatening. They are improving, and they are a threat but not yet at the level of the Reds or Brumbies when they put it through the hands.

Perese is probably the best in the comp for using footwork to beat the first and/or second tackler, but little comes from his good work. He doesn't then as a rule put the foot down and make a break for the tryline or set his support players up to get over the line. He more often than not throws a hail mary pass or offload that puts his support players in enormous trouble. A fair way to go to challenge Paisami or Ikitau for the Wallabies 13 spot. Maddocks is hot and cold, very much a confidence player. Nevertheless, I rate him as the only challenger to Banks for the 15 spot assuming neither Petaia not Wright make the switch successfully. There are definitely more threatening players in all other backline positions that those currently playing for the Tahs.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
A bit over the top claiming the Tahs backline as (one of) the most threatening. They are improving, and they are a threat but not yet at the level of the Reds or Brumbies when they put it through the hands.

Perese is probably the best in the comp for using footwork to beat the first and/or second tackler, but little comes from his good work. He doesn't then as a rule put the foot down and make a break for the tryline or set his support players up to get over the line. He more often than not throws a hail mary pass or offload that puts his support players in enormous trouble. A fair way to go to challenge Paisami or Ikitau for the Wallabies 13 spot. Maddocks is hot and cold, very much a confidence player. Nevertheless, I rate him as the only challenger to Banks for the 15 spot assuming neither Petaia not Wright make the switch successfully. There are definitely more threatening players in all other backline positions that those currently playing for the Tahs.
Maddocks is a frustrating one. He is clearly more talented thank Banks. Bigger, possibly faster(?), great passing range.

Just cocks up a lot. I wouldn't be comfortable with him at 15 for the Wallabies.