• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU Round 2 - Reds vs Rebels

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Has Brad Thorn had a stroke? This is very unlike him. A nice win, good team effort and he keeps the same 23 without tinkering in a bunch of important positions? Not one key player rested, rotated or sent away for unknown reasons?

What a strange time we are living in.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Big call leaving Hodge out for Magnay. But I've enjoyed Magnay so far and I'll be keen to see what he does with some proper minutes (against his former team, no less). Pretty bloody keen for this one, some great young talent against each other.

Rebels need to shake up their attack. I'm likewise curious to see how he goes. Feel a little sorry for Deegan. I wonder if he's thinking he should have stayed at the Force. Likely would have gotten more actual game time.

B

Bobby Sands

Very good looking side that one from the Rebs.

Personally I'd rather they play Hodge than Magnay, because I think Magnay can hurt us more.

Should be an epic game in the forwards and this pivot back to furious QLD piggies is something I am really enjoying.

Reds by 1 or 100, doesn't bother me, let's just get it done.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Does any Sydneysider want four free tickets to the game? Surprisingly, the very few sensible brain cells I’ve got have won and I’ve decided not to goto the game & self isolate instead ‘cause I’ve recently fled Vic (despite testing negative).

The tickets are online so I can guarantee they’re Covid-free.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
That's one way of looking at it. Personally, I'd see Josh Nasser as a bit of a liability and JP getting the bench role to balance it out if they both come on at the same time.

Exactly, that been said, its still a strong scrum with Hoopert starting, and what Hoopert offers around the ground is mor then what Smith does

B

Bobby Sands

That's one way of looking at it. Personally, I'd see Josh Nasser as a bit of a liability and JP getting the bench role to balance it out if they both come on at the same time.

Very good thought!

I genuinely hadn't looked at it like that, and I think you might very well be right.

Cheers.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

Pretty sure it's this, makes it a bit easier to avoid playing Tupou for 70+ minutes and helps maintains the strong scrum throughout

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Does any Sydneysider want four free tickets to the game? Surprisingly, the very few sensible brain cells I’ve got have won and I’ve decided not to goto the game & self isolate instead ‘cause I’ve recently fled Vic (despite testing negative).

Personally I think if you left Vic before the deadline and have tested negative then you have done more than what most people would do and should go to the game. If you feel like social distancing do it there, sounds like you'l have plenty of room.

B

Bobby Sands

What an offer!

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Pretty sure it's this, makes it a bit easier to avoid playing Tupou for 70+ minutes and helps maintains the strong scrum throughout
Yeah. There has got to be some upside to taking Tupou off. Bad decision making aside, I love the Thor.

Incidentally, not having a go at Nasser. He's a 21 year old THP- lots to learn and a frame to develop.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Big call leaving Hodge out for Magnay. But I've enjoyed Magnay so far and I'll be keen to see what he does with some proper minutes (against his former team, no less). Pretty bloody keen for this one, some great young talent against each other.
Magnay is a good footballer. I would’ve enjoyed seeing him progress at the Reds.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Reds have a definite edge in the backrow, but if the backline gets similar disrupted ball, if any, as they did against the Tahs, I think they could be shocked by this Rebels side. The balance of the game is probably wholly, or mostly, in JOC (James O'Connor)'s hands. Interestin g match up there too, JOC (James O'Connor) v MT.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Thanks Scooter. Good write up.

Looking forward to this - really hope the Reds can throw off the rustiness and play the high-speed offloading game the were playing pre-COVID. Looking for JOC (James O'Connor) to bounce back to form and get the Reds backline firing. Also really hoping Mafi can nail his throwing. He’s been excellent around the field - but his throwing is letting him down and he looked quite dejected last week.

I’ll be interested whether the Reds defence shows a notable improvement. I can’t imagine Thorn will be happy with some of the lapses last week.

On the reverse side I’m looking forward to seeing Pone Fa’amausili going around again - I liked the look of him last week and will be interested how he goes. Reds scrum was awesome last week, but Hoopert should present an easier challenge then Ala'alatoa (to be fair to Allan - most of the penalties weren’t to do with him being out-scrummed). If the Rebs can get traction on their own TH side it will make the scrum battle very interesting.

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
Rebels need to shake up their attack. I'm likewise curious to see how he goes. Feel a little sorry for Deegan. I wonder if he's thinking he should have stayed at the Force. Likely would have gotten more actual game time.
I believe one of the reasons Deegan left the Force was at the time GRR was up in the air about going ahead so instead of taking the risk he took the offer to go to Melbourne. If the Force stay in next year or so i wouldn't be surprised if he showed up in a Force jersey. And so should most of our promising 10 be given game time because that's where we are sorely lacking.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Don't know which way this game is going to go. Reds struggled against a very green backline who are not known for their defense. That rebels backline is very solid defensively and I don't see us making many meters through them. Although if our offload game clicks this week like it did pre covid then not much can handle that.

Reds forwards will need to dominate for them to get the W. Our backrow will hopefully click even more this week, need to get absolute dominance at the breakdown. Also really clean up the line out as To'omua is an astute general play kicker and if they're picking off our lineouts then game over really.

50/50 for me.

C'arn the REDS!

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Don't know which way this game is going to go. Reds struggled against a very green backline who are not known for their defense. That rebels backline is very solid defensively and I don't see us making many meters through them. Although if our offload game clicks this week like it did pre covid then not much can handle that.

Reds forwards will need to dominate for them to get the W. Our backrow will hopefully click even more this week, need to get absolute dominance at the breakdown. Also really clean up the line out as To'omua is an astute general play kicker and if they're picking off our lineouts then game over really.

50/50 for me.

C'arn the REDS!

That was a much better defensive effort from the tahs than they've put it in all season though, particularly the way they fronted up physically and limited Wilson/Tupou/Salaki-Loto's running games. If the rebels can do the same they'll be in the box seat, but if our big men start breaking the line and offloading they'll have trouble containing guys like Mcdermott and Daugunu in support.

That's the other thing I felt we lacked a bit last week - players in support for some of the breaks, particularly the one from Tate. Hopefully it'll be much better this week, like it was before the break in the season.