1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU Round 7 - Force vs Waratahs @ Robina - Friday 14 August

Discussion in 'Rugby Matches' started by Braveheart81, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Derpus Simon Poidevin (60)

I think Harrisons goal kicking (that one choke aside) is a huge selling point for the Wallabies.
    WorkingClassRugger likes this.
  2. barbarian Nick Farr-Jones (63)

And Ramm has the boot of Hodge in the body of a genuine winger. At this stage he's a wider squad pick, but a few more good weeks and he might be in the starting team!
    Dan54, The_Brown_Hornet and qwerty51 like this.
  3. WorkingClassRugger Steve Williams (59)

Isn't he 30 of like 32 in SR Au.
  4. fatprop David Wilson (68)

Amazing how in one season the Tahs can now have cannons across the backline after years of pop guns
    TSR and Derpus like this.
  5. qwerty51 George Gregan (70)

He's my starter because of it. If we want to win Tests we need a 90%+ goalkicker.
    cyclopath likes this.
  6. Derpus Simon Poidevin (60)

Harrison is a little popgun-y out of hand. Maddocks and Ramm can kick a ball though.
    cyclopath likes this.
  7. Froggy Vay Wilson (31)

Rebels3, I went to school with Strachans who pronounced their name Strawn.
    dru, Dan54, Silverado and 1 other person like this.
  8. Dan54 Andrew Slack (58)

Yep Froggy ,I knew a Strachan or 2 (1 an All Black lock), and they were Strawns too!
  9. Drew Jimmy Flynn (14)

Skyhooks!
    But then the soccer player/coach from Scotland was Strackan.
  10. dru Steve Williams (59)

I'm thinking Strawn.
  11. fatprop David Wilson (68)

You can add Gordon as well, to me, the benefit of the numerous solid clearance options is that it makes pressuring any one kicker more difficult
  12. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

Someone should tell them they were pronouncing their name wrong ;)
  13. Slim 293 George Gregan (70)

Ryan Lonergan for Wallabies 9?
  14. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

A solid performance by the Tahs but regrettable that they didn't clinch the bonus point.

The failure to score before half time was probably the pivotal moment there. I feel like a try there could have really opened the flood gates in the second half.

A couple of almost great tries in the second half called back for penalties was frustrating. I think both were technically correct but the first in particular could have easily been allowed to proceed. So many times we would see that obstruction call not made even on review. That tackle was never going to be made by Ready (I think). In terms of the laws, it is whether or not Harry Johnson-Holmes intentionally obstructed him from making a tackle.
    Silverado and Derpus like this.
  15. Derpus Simon Poidevin (60)

The issue for me is that they wouldn't go back and review that incident if the play didn't result in a try. So we have one set of rules for general play and then a more stringently enforced set of rules for plays that result in a try. Which inevitably leads to a lot of tries being called back - which is extremely anti-climatic.

It's a bit like VAR goals being called back. Sure - maybe it's 100% technically correct but it's such a cockblock. It ruins what is supposed to be the best moments in a game.

That ruled out Reds try a few weeks back was particularly galling.
  16. qwerty51 George Gregan (70)

The obstruction was fair, it was obvious to me.

The other one was a total joke. They're just looking for anyway to not to award it. Gordon barely advanced and it was for 1 second before he was put onside.
    barbarian likes this.
  17. barbarian Nick Farr-Jones (63)

BH I had more issue with the Gordon offside. It just felt like the TMO was viewing the play with the aim of finding a law breach, like a miner looking for a gold nugget.

Gordon took two steps at most before Hunt ran him onside. Had he not made those steps I'd wager he is still in a position to score the try, so it barely had any impact on the play. It's a try and nobody would have complained if it was ruled as such.

But if it was NZ in a Bledisloe I'd go on a hunger strike until all the refs involved were jailed.
    cyclopath, Braveheart81 and Derpus like this.
  18. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

I thought the distance the defender was from being able to make the tackle meant he wasn't obstructed. He just played up the potential obstruction because that was all he had.

True. I'd need to watch it again but the expectation that Gordon stops on a dime if he's in front of the kicker is unrealistic.
  19. Dctarget Geoff Shaw (53)

Check out this similar but even more egregious ref blunder from yesterday. Aussie Luke is through every day of the week and Itoje will never touch him but throws his hands up in protest and it gets called back. (starts at 3:08)
    cyclopath and Braveheart81 like this.
  20. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

Maddocks obstruction.jpg

Ready is further away than Cowan who didn't lay a hand on him. There's no way he's making the tackle there.
    Tahtrajic likes this.