• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Au Round 8 - Force vs Reds @ Cbus Stadium, 7:05pm Friday 21st August

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I've got Reds by 25 in this one. Wonder if the time away from home is starting to sap the Force, and losing Stowers in a big blow. After last week I think the Reds hit their stride and run away with this in the second half.
No doubt they need to be able to carry the form on Barbs - we are at the business end of this comp now.

My only concern is whether that defensive effort last week will have sapped them and they will be flat this week. Hopefully it’ll have the opposite effect and the defense will be the catalyst for the shackles to come off the attack.

Mug Punter

Ward Prentice (10)
Nasser has been training at hooker for a while now, I think he will surprise a lot of people, tipping a nice cameo by him off the bench and a permanent move to that position. The fact he's gotten as far as he has for his age (21,) with his scrumming not his strongest attribute speaks volumes about what the coaches see in the other parts of his game.

Reactions: TSR

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Couple of changes for the Reds match.

GO YOU FORCE - let's get that first win in Super Rugby Au.

WF-Super Rugby-Rnd-8-Teams-List-Revised-4.jpg

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Nasser has been training at hooker for a while now, I think he will surprise a lot of people, tipping a nice cameo by him off the bench and a permanent move to that position. The fact he's gotten as far as he has for his age (21,) with his scrumming not his strongest attribute speaks volumes about what the coaches see in the other parts of his game.
Thanks Mug Punter. That’s a good bit of insight. Do you know what his throwing is like?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
No doubt they need to be able to carry the form on Barbs - we are at the business end of this comp now.

My only concern is whether that defensive effort last week will have sapped them and they will be flat this week. Hopefully it’ll have the opposite effect and the defense will be the catalyst for the shackles to come off the attack.
Against the Force last encounter and the Bulls before the break, the Reds leaked tries early and then scored a succession of tries following that. If the Reds hold out the Force in the first 20 then I think they could win by a handy margin.

Mug Punter

Ward Prentice (10)
Thanks Mug Punter. That’s a good bit of insight. Do you know what his throwing is like?

Can't be any poorer than what we've been dealing with but can't say unfortunately. Him and Wilson would be the two most co-ordinated forwards in the side so I'm expecting good things. Farrell was also available this week FWIW.

Reactions: TSR

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Didnt the Brothers hooker - Faessler travel with the team pre-covid? And also that Ed Craig fella from Sydney. Using 6 different hookers in a season is unheard of.

For mine Mafi was nearly a clear favourite when the season started to lock down the spot - but his recent throwing woes and now injury could mean he's getting left out in the cold a bit.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Mafi is injured.

good to see Flook at 13, he is a solid young player, no doubt they’ll be expecting Petaia to come in off the wing quite a bit

Mug Punter

Ward Prentice (10)
Didnt the Brothers hooker - Faessler travel with the team pre-covid? And also that Ed Craig fella from Sydney. Using 6 different hookers in a season is unheard of.

For mine Mafi was nearly a clear favourite when the season started to lock down the spot - but his recent throwing woes and now injury could mean he's getting left out in the cold a bit.

Never traveled with the team, was meant to link up with Rebels before Covid caused a few issues. He is definitely Super standard so can only imagine there's been a clash with someone in power at the Reds. Craig is playing Shute Shield at the moment so if we wanted him we'd have him.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Can't be any poorer than what we've been dealing with but can't say unfortunately. Him and Wilson would be the two most co-ordinated forwards in the side so I'm expecting good things. Farrell was also available this week FWIW.
I’m not sure it’s safe to assume your first sentence - but I understand your sentiment. Anyway, it’ll be interesting to see how it turns out. The fact Farrell was available and got overlooked seems to me to be a vote of confidence in itself. I know they haven’t exactly been keen to get Farrell out there, but still. Good luck to the young guy. Good thing is he is young enough to make it work.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
If Nasser has been training at hooker then I’m excited to see how he goes, he didn’t seem to have the weight and size for Prop
If true let’s hope he goes better than Mees Erasmus did at the Rebels. Shocking is probably a polite way to describe the transition to hooker.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Yeah, I was listening to Jaybor and Darcy chat about this a couple of weeks ago. So sounds like Nasser has been training at Hooker since they got back together after lockdown.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I've got Reds by 25 in this one. Wonder if the time away from home is starting to sap the Force, and losing Stowers in a big blow. After last week I think the Reds hit their stride and run away with this in the second half.

Probably right Barbs but I think the Force scrum will put a lot of pressure on after the two sets of replacements come on.