• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Pre-Season Trial: Waratahs v Reds

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Really unimpressed with our back 3 (backs). Daugunu is rocks and diamonds, more rocks unfortunately. Floyd is a bit too raw for this stage. He shouldn't be making the mistakes he is. Petaia just is not suited to back 3 imo. He appears to be an instinct player, 13 is his most suited position. When he is more involved he makes much better decisions, get him closer to the action somehow. Even if its on the blind wing Marika style. I'm not sure what the best back 3 combo at the moment is except for Campbell at 15.
Been my thoughts on the lad for a while.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
It really didn't look great did it (Gleeson). He needs to do better.

Oddly, first part of that tackle was textbook perfect for the RFU's new proposed waist tackling idea.... shame about the whole lift and tip part. Didn't look like head hitting the deck, but rather shoulder, so that may save him some when they take a closer look at it.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I thought Taleni Seu played quite well again. With Hanigan's knee injury Seu might start against the Brumbies.

Agreed. Which as you say is a blessing as it's an aspect of the the squad the Tah's are definitely weak in. I have no doubt the Brumbies will be targeting the lineout come round 1.

Last edited:

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
We still looked pretty dysfunctional as a team, we didn't do a lot of that pressure building and working them around

We scored a couple of maul tries, one great individual moment and a try that would have been cancelled if they had a replay

We need much better work off the ball, too many turnovers because the cleanout was slow and long range tries (defence needs to chase harder and make them work)

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Agree FP, I thought the cleanout was sloppy as much as slow, there were times there were two Tahs players there, but not cleaning out, just loitering with intent!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Agree FP, I thought the cleanout was sloppy as much as slow, there were times there were two Tahs players there, but not cleaning out, just loitering with intent!
It is symptom of bad pro rugby, "well drilled" pigs running to position and taking a breather instead splattering the guy over the ball