• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rd 1: Waratahs vs Brumbies Friday, 24th February

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Slipper and White aren’t comparable to Lolesio.

White and Slipper and almost guaranteed to play big parts in the RWC, veterans and almost played every test year.

Lolesio is none of those. Could be wrong but I doubt this is squad rotation.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nic White and Noah Lolesio will also start from the reserves, with White to make his 100th appearance when called upon.

The plan to start the Wallabies pair off the bench had been in place for a couple of weeks according to Larkham, who instead opted to start Australia A captain Ryan Lonergan and new recruit Jack Debreczeni.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
We need to really sort out this infographics. Last year it the Tahs and their hyper colours.
29F54204-9693-4E42-9997-19809201D6DA.jpeg

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
I said during Shute shield that Debreczeni could be a bolter for the wallabies and I still think it could happen. Being coached by Larkham and behind that forward pack will give him a great opportunity.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I said during Shute shield that Debreczeni could be a bolter for the wallabies and I still think it could happen. Being coached by Larkham and behind that forward pack will give him a great opportunity.

Also has a big boot which is never a negative when considering potential European conditions and opponents.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
So I guess Gamble is being played at 8?
From a Wallaby perspective it seems most likely to me he is competing with Samu for the bench impact role. Not saying that played any part in the decision making from Coleman here, but it seems a good move from a Wallaby fan perspective.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
What a shock. Coach says nice things about his player in game week.

Glad to see him name on a team sheet in Aus and one that isn't the Rebels but are people actually saying he might be the Wallabies 10? Sure we don't have anyone locked into the job but c'mon. I expect the Tahs to try and pressure him as much as possible and see if his head spins like it seemed to at the Rebels. Sure, he has a bit more help at the Brums but his 12 is also a bit of unknown with Sapsford on the bench.

I want Lonergan to have a good game at 9. I think he can be a reliable 3rd option for the Wallabies and these are the 2 Halfbacks going for that spot IMO.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Interesting to see the continued ascendance of 10s who attempt to manage games as opposed to win them on their own

Lynagh, Jack, Noah & Edmed all broadly fit into that style of 10

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It wasn't a critique, just an observation, but it does have clear game plan changes as we go forward

but who were the ones that just tried to win it on their own? I genuinely can't work out who you are thinking of?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Maybe I define ‘game manager’ differently, but Quade was and is an excellent game manager. A feature of 2011 was him standing back and directing forwards until he was ready for the ball. He played field position when it was called for.

Even when he called the ball it was with multiple attacking threats, of which he was only one. Guys like Ant Faianga’a, Digby Ioane, Ben Tapaui, Rod Davis and even Scott Higginbotham never looked as good as when they played with Cooper because he could coordinate attack. You’d probably add Genia in that list too. He was simply prepared to run a play with a higher risk return and he was always looking to keep the ball alive in contact rather than go to ground.

Reactions: dru