• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 1: Waratahs v Drua

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
New Super Rugby season - but some things don't change as we still can't get attendance records for Waratah's games.
Every other game over the last 2 days but not the Tahs v Drua match.
Source: AuStadiums.

Screenshot 2022-02-19 222955.jpg

Screenshot 2022-02-19 222851.jpg

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Not shocked - the stadium was empty on 3 sides and the 4th side would not have been a quarter occupied. At least 50% of the fans were Drua supporters. Just your standard showing by the Sydney Rugby faithful, wedged by complaints over stadium locations and mindless support over a shrinking "Premier" scene that is picking a fight with the money making side of the game.

Can you blame them after last season?

Yes. Yes you can.

If it gets any better at Leichardt I'd be surprised, given the public transport options, dining, and parking are even worse.

I paid my $49 for a decent ticket and was entertained, in a history-making event.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Yes, the nrc would help players make the jump from club to Super Rugby. Is there a schedule for Tahs A, Runners etc? Do they play a whole season? That’s the closest we have at present.
My understanding is that the 5 teams plus 1 (perhaps the Drua) will play a 6 team tournament after Super Rugby but without their Wallaby players. I am not sure if it will be called the NRC. I believe I put this in another thread and I think the forum thought I was making it up.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Think the Waratahs brand just needs a bit of a reset after last year. Give it time. I think people in Sydney are blessed for choice for things to do and going to empty stadiums isn't the best way to spend it. Once they get past the branding of being an empty stadium there will be some more fans there, it'll snowball a bit.

I find the councils refusal to let them play at Brookvale very annoying. The Sea Eagles will still play there this year, so I'm at a loss to explain why the Waratahs weren't allowed to play, even with renovations? Political pressure should have been applied from the NSW Government

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
My understanding is that the 5 teams plus 1 (perhaps the Drua) will play a 6 team tournament after Super Rugby but without their Wallaby players. I am not sure if it will be called the NRC. I believe I put this in another thread and I think the forum thought I was making it up.
Let’s hope you’re right

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
it better bloody be called the Ricoh Challenge regardless of who the sponsor is.