• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby - Road to the Finals 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Clan can't finish lower than 6th now. The only way they play in Sydney is if Tahs lose and Lions win.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Qualifiers are:

Q1: 1. Crusaders v 8. Sharks
Q2: 4. Hurricanes v5. Chiefs
Q3: 2. Lions v 7. Jaguares
Q4: 3. Waratahs v 6. Highlanders

Semis are Q1 v Q2 & Q3 v Q4.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
None of the Hurricanes, Chiefs or Highlanders have been playing well in the latter parts of the season, so the chances are there for other conference reps to do some damage. Crusaders aside, not much between the rest of the NZ conference and the best of the Aus conference right now.

Tahs to beat the Highlanders but then fail on the road trip to either SA or Argentina.

Crusaders to win the lot.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yes. Best case scenario for the Tahs is for the Jaguares to win and then they would get a semi final in Sydney if they beat the Highlanders.

The other semi final will definitely be in NZ regardless of results.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
018 SUPER RUGBY WINNER BETTING ODDS
2018 Super Rugby Grand Final Winner.
Super Rugby Team
Odds
Supr Rugby Team
According to the SuperXV website, the betting for the finals is as follows :

Odds
Crusaders 7/2
Lions 5/1
Hurricanes 4/1
Brumbies 16/1
Chiefs 6/1
Sharks 25/1

Read more: http://www.superxv.com/#ixzz5LInSqRWf

I think the odds on the Brumbies are a bit short.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Yes. Best case scenario for the Tahs is for the Jaguares to win and then they would get a semi final in Sydney if they beat the Highlanders.

The other semi final will definitely be in NZ regardless of results.

Really, what if Crusaders lose and Tahs and Lions win?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Really, what if Crusaders lose and Tahs and Lions win?
The semi final pairings are pre determined.
Semi final 1 is winner of Cru v Sha vs winner of Hur v Chi.

Semi final 2 is winner of Lio v Jag vs winner of War v Hig.

Highest ranked team in each game hosts (i.e. Impossible for Sharks and Jaguares to host a semi final).

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Having a look back at the potential finalists the final table looks like this:

Crusaders 63 pts, pd 247
Hurricanes 51, 131
Chiefs 49, 95
Lions 46, 84
Waratahs 44, 112
Highlanders 44, 8
Jaguares 38, 9
Sharks 36, 5
Rebels 36, 21
Brumbies 34, 29

A few comments:

Waratahs
  • This is the third time the Tahs have royally fucked up in the last round of matches before the finals. In 2003 they had three tries in the bag against the Chiefs but couldn't snag the fourth. I seem to recall Sheehan hogging the ball 5m out with Tuqiri screaming for a pass wider out and time up. The reverse happened in 2009 in Johannesburg when they let the Lions in for a try almost on full-time allowing the Saders to leapfrog them on points difference (four). The tragedy that year was the semi the Tahs should've played in was only 72km up the road in Pretoria; the Saders travelled all the way over from Auckland and were soundly beaten.
  • IF the Tahs had've won against the Brumbies their opponents would've been the Jaguares. On top of a flight schedule Buenos Aires>Sao Paulo>Jo'burg>Durban the Jaguares would've had to then fly Durban>Jo'burg>Sydney, presumably suffering severe travel exhaustion; instead they return to Jo'burg and recover. We can only hope and pray the week's rest does them enough good to roll the Lions.
  • The reverse holds good for the Clan: instead of flying Dunedin>Christchurch>Sydney>Jo'burg they hop over the ditch and rest. A much tougher prospect than a jetlagged Jaguares.
Jaguares
  • The pampas boys should send the Tahs a thank you note. Time to roll up your sleeves and show the Lions what you're made of.
Highlanders
  • See the first sentence above.
Rebels
  • Position on the final table shows how close the Rebels were to their maiden finals appearance. But, somewhat disappointing after the influx of talent from the Force. One can only hope this was a gelling year and next year when they get to the top of the table they stay there.
Brumbies
  • The form shown in the last few rounds will leave the Brumbies frustrated after a disappointing year. So near but so far.
Crusaders
  • Should be a competent victory over the Sharks after they've done the long-haul travel run-around. Looking at the finals, especially where they're being played, the comp looks like it's the Saders to lose this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.