• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby: Round 1. Rebels vs Brumbies - 23 Feb AAMI

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The biggest difference to me seemed composure and confidence in the strategy.

When the Brumbies were under pressure they had the confidence to trust their system and their structure. The intercept was defensive pressure. They took key lineout steaks when they needed them. Their scrum was shaky early but fought back over the game. Reimer made some key turnovers aAnd when they had the opportunity they weren’t afraid to pull the trigger.

The Rebels were the opposite. They made some good inroads at times and did put the pressure on but then they would miss their target in the lineout, kick out ingoal, muck up their attacking scrum, muck up their attacking maul, give away a needles penalty for Leota’s no-try, pass over the sideline (was it 3 times?). Just constantly letting the pressure off. I actually thought they did some really good things but the Brumbies are a composed, confident team and the Rebels couldn’t string 4-5 good phases together.

I hope Tupou’s hand is okay. I thought he was pretty good when he came on but it clearly hampered him.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I got a question. Is Taniella fully ift? He did a couple of good runs etc, but looks to me at times to be struggling, and I realise he injured wrist last night, but I almost got impression he was using it to catch breath? To be honest I missed last 15 minutes so he may of come on strong, but I had same impression last year.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
We are the hollow men
We are the stuffed men
I thought I recognised the style but have never read it. T.S. Elliot a difficult but extremely good poet. I wonder if T.S. was at the game looking down and wondering what relationship there was to 'guy guy guy poke him in the eye'.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I got a question. Is Taniella fully ift? He did a couple of good runs etc, but looks to me at times to be struggling, and I realise he injured wrist last night, but I almost got impression he was using it to catch breath? To be honest I missed last 15 minutes so he may of come on strong, but I had same impression last year.
I still think he is too big for his frame. He needs to lose a bit to be able to survive. The hand injury was unfortunate but the weight coming down on that hand.....

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
What bloody strategy? There was a child-like running at the door of the room they were locked in.
Well - I was primarily referring to the Brumbies being confident that if they were patient they would force an error or turnover.

I don’t think they were great but I actually thought the Rebels had some good passages and they did get some pay off their big runners - but they rarely put 4+ good phases together and when they made a mistake the Brumbies burnt them on the counter.

I think a fair bit of credit needs to go to the Brumbies and how comfortable they are with their game. It is much easier for a guy like Charlie Cale to come in and have a stormer when he just has to worry about doing his own job and the players around him are very well rehearsed in their roles.

Reactions: dru

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I mean, he's a top 5 world player in his position but wasn't able to start the game or run out 20 minutes. Looks very unfit.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
You're not wrong. Seeing him up close at the trial game last week was pretty amazing. Not sure I've ever seen a human body shaped quite that way.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Never left a stadium feeling so embarrassed in the team I support. Been to near on 100 Rebels games and the losses far outweigh the wins but last night was an all time low

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
Noah the winner on this occasion. I was surprised how slow he is. Carter had a shocker. A BIG SHOCKER.
Carter will bounce back. Yes. Noah played well but had dominant pack. Does help. Was surprised with his lack of pace but all in all a good game.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Carter will bounce back. Yes. Noah played well but had dominant pack. Does help. Was surprised with his lack of pace but all in all a good game.
Hides in D does Noah. Needs to be better, got sat down multiple times last night

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
All we ever seem to hear is he will.........!

Carter needs to follow the Kellaway path and go offshore away from the manufactured limelight and expectations and find out if he really is any good or not.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
really really disappointed with the forwards and lineout. Don’t know what Parling has had them doing. I counted at least 7 missed lineouts across both hookers.

Kemeny is a tall boy, he should be able to get up there and help. Was abysmal. So many missed opportunities. Brumbies have Neville, Frost and Swain I get but Cale was out there picking us off for fun.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeah, really hurt the points he let through with his poor defence.
lol it’s all well and good not being able to defend when you are playing for a team that can control/dominate the game.

But if he wants to be picked for the Wallabies he will be playing for a team that is going to be getting dominated and will have to hang in there defensively.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
really really disappointed with the forwards and lineout. Don’t know what Parling has had them doing. I counted at least 7 missed lineouts across both hookers.

Kemeny is a tall boy, he should be able to get up there and help. Was abysmal. So many missed opportunities. Brumbies have Neville, Frost and Swain I get but Cale was out there picking us off for fun.
Mate you can find better hookers at a truck stop than at the Rebels. If we survive next year Jordy has to be shown the door

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
lol it’s all well and good not being able to defend when you are playing for a team that can control/dominate the game.

But if he wants to be picked for the Wallabies he will be playing for a team that is going to be getting dominated and will have to hang in there defensively.
Who said he want to be a Wallabies player? If you are trying to upsell that Carter can tackle and that a good attribute for a 10 you really are clutching at straws.

I sincerely apologise on behalf of the Brumbies that the Rebels were dominated and Noah didn't have the need to show his defences abilities to prove to you he can tackle noting its a key criteria of being a Wallaby according to you.

But just a heads up, its quite common even for RWC winning 10s to be pretty average in defence. Maybe it's a false metric the Wallabies and supporters seem to keep obsessing about.

Anyways, back the the Rebels abject failure last night........

Last edited: