• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Round 10, Waratahs vs Lions - Friday 20 April 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So Daryl Gibson seeking one year extension...I have got a better idea....how about you fuck off at end of the season to NZ..as complete abject failure as head coach and to be honest only ever honest toiler as assistant coach.....

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Looking for the positive here.

OK, the Tahs will still top the conference. And we get another go at them.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
If there was ever a game that sums up the state of the Australian Pro game this was it. The total lack of anything approaching what could reasonably be expected of a Professional level of basic skill execution.

Then we have Hooper giving answers like a banker before a Royal Commissioner saying the score line didn't represent how close they were in that game. How about you try and execute some basic skills, like carrying the ball in contact, you know something that is trained in the kids at every training session, how about you practice some basic passing skills.

What a joke. Don't worry about sacking Gibson. How about we wipe the slate clean and dump everyone masquerading as a professional in Australian Rugby. Will save on power when the lights are turned off, so it has an environmental payoff as well, add to that the massive reduction in Hot air when the Foxsports commentators are forced to shut their idiot mouths for a change.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Haven't seen the game, but have seen the score. Seems my self-imposed boycott of super rugby is one of the best things I've ever done. I'm an SFS/SCG member so I get in for free and I still won't put myself through watching this.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Wow. That was absolute rubbish from the Tahs.

Poor discipline, poor handling, poor set piece, poor decisions. All combining for what the commentators said is the first time in history the Tahs have failed to score a point.

The Lions were good but they weren't that good, there's a lot of room for improvement there. But that's all it took to hold the Australian conference leaders scoreless. It's looking like the Aussie conference has actually regressed since last season.

There was a time a Queenslander might enjoy watching the Tahs humiliated at home but that's just left me depressed for the state of Australian rugby. Plus the Reds have the Chiefs tomorrow and a 29 point loss might not seem so bad after that.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
One more thing, if anybody ever wants to know what happens when the greatest myth in Australian Rugby plays at 10 they should be made to watch what happened when Foley was in the head bin for 10. Could've given Giteau crabbing lessons and shown AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) there is a worse passer of the ball right to left, as well as being able to shift the blame.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The Rob Simmons bubble has been burst. Outjumped one on one by Mostert in the lineouts, bad calls in other lineouts so that the Lions actually stole about four or more of the Tahs throws, virtually invisible and actually ineffective at the breakdown and couldn't push forward in the scrum. That seems to have been just an average Rob game.

The Tahs game plan of using Taquele to bust through was thwarted by a side committed to tackling him as soon as he got his hands on the ball. This game demonstrated just why he should not be selected in the Wallabies. None of the Irish, ABs or Saffas and probably a few others will let him dominate the defense like the Aus Super Rugby sides do. And when he can't, he has nothing else to offer.

Tahs still have too much for the other Aus franchises, but there was a huge gulf tonight between the top sides in the Aus and Saffa conferences.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
One more thing, if anybody ever wants to know what happens when the greatest myth in Australian Rugby plays at 10 they should be made to watch what happened when Foley was in the head bin for 10. Could've given Giteau crabbing lessons and shown AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) there is a worse passer of the ball right to left, as well as being able to shift the blame.

Agree Gnostic. He was also again very poor in defense, seeming to do anything but wanting to tackle an opposition player. Two of the Lions tries included very poor defensive efforts by Beale. If Kerevi is widely held to be unsuitable at Wallaby level because of his defensive deficiencies, then Beale should be treated exactly the same.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Rob Simmons bubble has been burst. Outjumped one on one by Mostert in the lineouts, bad calls in other lineouts so that the Lions actually stole about four or more of the Tahs throws, virtually invisible and actually ineffective at the breakdown and couldn't push forward in the scrum. That seems to have been just an average Rob game.

The Tahs game plan of using Taquele to bust through was thwarted by a side committed to tackling him as soon as he got his hands on the ball. This game demonstrated just why he should not be selected in the Wallabies. None of the Irish, ABs or Saffas and probably a few others will let him dominate the defense like the Aus Super Rugby sides do. And when he can't, he has nothing else to offer.

Tahs still have too much for the other Aus franchises, but there was a huge gulf tonight between the top sides in the Aus and Saffa conferences.
Too much analysis.

Nothing fucking worked

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
What a disappointing result, I’m one that cheers on aus teams v any overseas opposition. For me the biggest difference was the physicality, one team hit hard in defense and in attack ran hard earning meters after contact, the other team was far to occupied with setting up for the next phase and was satisfied with completion in defense than dominance. There is something seriously wrong with the philosophies of Australian rugby, it’s caught in the late 90s mid 00s. While other countries appear to be playing within a framework with flexibility of options, we continue to play within a choreographed structure that is very rigid.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Has anybody told Gibson that the "pass it to the big guy" tactic is ok up until about under 12s and then everyone learns how to tackle the big guys?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It’s a sad day when Staniforth looks the most damaging of your front 5 runners. It’s the same with the rebels of late, the front 5 is offering little around the field especially in the contact zone. It’s all to placid and more worried about been accurate than aggressive. However in rugby parity in contact must be achieved before accuracy in the modern game

Swandive

Allen Oxlade (6)
Well that was terrible. I'm angry for wasting 2 hours watching that crap. There'll be calls for Gibson's head and I do wonder what he brings to the party, but the players have got to take a lot of the blame. Inept is probably the best word. Is that truly the best 23 players NSW as a state can come up with. Just horrible and embarrassing to watch. What do these guys do all week?
Newsome and Naiyaravoro were terrible. Kurtley spent a lot of the night shaking his head but he made plenty of mistakes too - needs to stop blaming others and concentrate on his own game. I have never bagged Foley before (as others take glee in doing) but he really offered nothing tonight.
Are Tolu Latu & Kelly Meafa really that bad that they can't get a look in.
The Lions made plenty of mistakes too, which makes the Waratahs effort and scoreline even more embarrassing. The Lions must be having a good ol' laugh - We just flogged the Australian conference leader and we played pretty bad.
Hard to pick any good players in Waratahs squad but I guess Gordon & Rona were the pick of a bad bunch.
Just reading Brumby Runners bottom line above: "Criticism is only accepted with suggested solutions". Well I just don't know. Cut their salary and make them play for winning bonuses. They looked lethargic and it was the Lions that travelled across the Indian ocean.
They seriously seem to lack speed too - the Lions wingers made it look like Bullet trains up against steam engines.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The Lions made plenty of mistakes too, which makes the Waratahs effort and scoreline even more embarrassing. The Lions must be having a good ol' laugh - We just flogged the Australian conference leader and we played pretty bad.
the Lions wingers made it look like Bullet trains up against steam engines.

True, the Lions made plenty of mistakes too. By my count, both sides probably butchered three or four tries each.

The lack of true top end speed is a problem in all of the Aus teams as far as I can see. Very rarely do we see a long distance runaway try by an Aus player (against NZ or Saffa opposition) except for the occasional intercept, and they seem to mostly come against other Aus sides.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
This was prissy private school forwards against proper rugby players. Make no mistake, the tahs are 1/4 the team that won the comp not three seasons ago.

And lets not pretend like this was lost anywhere other than the utterly, humiliatingly pathetic forward pack.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
The points differential for each team respectively swapped around.

Before this game the 'Tahs were on positive 70 and the Lions on positive 41. It's the opposite now.

Status
Not open for further replies.