• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Round Three: Rebels v Cheetahs, Friday 28 Feb, AAMI Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
So pumped for this.

Cheetahs have had two hit outs for a win and a close loss, but by most accounts neither match produced the flair and try scoring that they've been known for in recent seasons.

Rebels are hot after three pre-season victories and will be champing at the bit after having to sit out the first two rounds.

I've got no idea what the result will be. Just hope the Rebs keep a lid on the excitement and fucking dominate the breakdown, tackle and set piece from the get-go. I loves me a try and some fast loose play, but if we're any chance to knock off some big teams away from the Stockade, we're going to have to front up in the piggies and do the graft.

Psyched.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
So pumped for this.

Cheetahs have had two hit outs for a win and a close loss, but by most accounts neither match produced the flair and try scoring that they've been known for in recent seasons.

Rebels are hot after three pre-season victories and will be champing at the bit after having to sit out the first two rounds.

I've got no idea what the result will be. Just hope the Rebs keep a lid on the excitement and fucking dominate the breakdown, tackle and set piece from the get-go. I loves me a try and some fast loose play, but if we're any chance to knock off some big teams away from the Stockade, we're going to have to front up in the piggies and do the graft.

Psyched.

On what we've seen of the Cheetahs so far, if the Rebels play to their trial form they will win easily.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Cheetahs tried to play more conservatively vs the Bulls in that horrible weather and didn't execute well at all. Kicking was really poor from them, particularly Goosen, but le Roux was fairly good.

The first game the Cheetahs seemed pretty expansive, but goal kicking cost them.

Don't think they'll try to play conservatively again unless it's pouring.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The first round game was a disaster for the Cheetahs but I think they will be quietly confident. The pack looked really good this weekend. Improve the decision making and they are a real chance.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Scrum time will be interesting. Oesthuizen and Strauss are a powerful couple of players, Rebels are light-on for hookers and reasonably well stocked with decent props.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Scrum time will be interesting. Oesthuizen and Strauss are a powerful couple of players, Rebels are light-on for hookers and reasonably well stocked with decent props.

Personally, I think both Oesthuizen and Oesthuizen are very talented players.

Jokes aside, if Leafa starts with our front row stocks we won't get taken to the cleaners by any scrum. I'd be more worried about their lineout with De Jager and Leafa's inconsistent throwing.

I don't really know what to make of the Cheetahs and this game TBH. Rebels had a good preseason (though that means little) and the Cheetahs have been all over the place form wise but it'll be hard to compete with a team that's had 2 tough games of Super rugby.

Question marks everywhere.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I didn't watch the Cheetahs second game but I thought Willie Le Roux was trying to do too much in round 1. After his breakout season last year it seemed like he was trying to create something everytime he touched the ball.

He's a class player and I think he just needs to bide his time a bit more and pick his spots rather than trying to create every attacking play for the Cheetahs.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
You keep le Roux quiet, and minimze the effects of Strauss and Oosthuiezen (Springbok one), you will win.

Goosen looks to be easing back into it after injuries.

Pretty keen to see how the Rabbles go this year, always have been my second favourite side. Higgers is probably my favourite player as well, so I hope he kills it this season.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I didn't watch the Cheetahs second game but I thought Willie Le Roux was trying to do too much in round 1. After his breakout season last year it seemed like he was trying to create something everytime he touched the ball.

He's a class player and I think he just needs to bide his time a bit more and pick his spots rather than trying to create every attacking play for the Cheetahs.

100% thought the exact same thing.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Rugby's back, agree with Tex about this one. No idea how it's going to go. Have to say we are at a massive disadvantage that it's the Cheetahs 3rd game compared to our 1st, can we delay the flights or something to try even the playing fields.

Higgers will have a major role to play if we are going to come away with the win. When he leads from the front the whole team lifts.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Cheetahs unchanged.

Cheetahs
1 Caylib Oosthuizen ,
2 Adriaan Strauss (c ) ,
3 Coenie Oosthuizen ,
4 Lodewyk de Jager ,
5 Francois Uys ,
6 Boom Prinsloo ,
7 Lappies Labuschagne ,
8 Philip van der Walt ,
9 Shaun Venter ,
10 Johan Goosen ,
11 Raymond Rhule ,
12 Francois Venter ( vc) ,
13 Johann Sadie ,
14 Cornal Hendricks ,
15 Willie le Roux
Replacements : 16. Ryno Barnes ,
17. Trevor Nyakane ,18. Maks van Dyk ,19. Ligtoring Landman ,20. Jean Cook ,21. Sarel Pretorius ,22. Elgar Watts ,23. Hennie Daniller

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think the Rebels have been a bit rorted on this one. The Cheetahs have two competitive games to harden them up. This will be the Rebels first and they are likely to be a bit rusty (as everyone was in their first competitive game). I reckon the Cheetahs will pounce on the rust.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I think the Rebels have been a bit rorted on this one. The Cheetahs have two competitive games to harden them up. This will be the Rebels first and they are likely to be a bit rusty (as everyone was in their first competitive game). I reckon the Cheetahs will pounce on the rust.

Feel exactly the same about this, surely it should have been a SA team to have a bye round two instead of Australian or NZ.

D

daz

Rebels squad hot off the press.1

1. Toby Smith **
2. Pat Leafa
3. Laurie Weeks
4. Hugh Pyle
5. Luke Jones
6. Sean McMahon *
7. Scott Fuglistaller
8. Scott Higginbotham (C)
9. Luke Burgess
10. Bryce Hegarty
11. Tom English
12. Mitch Inman
13. Tamati Ellison **
14. Lachlan Mitchell
15. Jason Woodward
16. Steve Fualau *
17. Max Lahiff *
18. Paul Alo-Emile
19. Cadeyrn Neville
20. Colby Fainga'a **
21. Ben Meehan *
22. Angus Roberts
23. Tom Kingston **

* denotes Super Rugby debut
** denotes Melbourne Rebels debut (prior Super Rugby experience)

Mitch at 12. Thank you Tony!

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Couple of surprises in there with Sean McMahon starting (he was impressive in the trial game I saw though). Lachie Mitchell over pretty much any other outside back is a surprise too, maybe he did have a big off season. No sign of Timani, Reid or Veinu either.

Edit: beaten by a nose...

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I icked the rebels on Superbru, but I regret that now. Cheetahs have had 2 games to blow out the cobwebs, Rebels will have their round 1 rustiness. As anyone who has watched the tahs thump the crusaders in pre season will know, trial games mean shit.

Also, I'm surprised Kingston and Colby are on the bench.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Inman at 12 is a very good thing.

There are some, umm, interesting selections in there though. Just not sure about Fuglistaller over Colby. Or Mitchell over anyone. Jones is a much better 6 than lock, but it looks like McGahan is picking a lot of high workrate guys who can cover a stack of ground. Jones will make 15+ tackles at lock, and I guess he balances out the much looser play we'll get from Pyle. Does anyone know anything about McMahon?

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Surprised Kingston is, not surprised about Colby though.

McMahon is the real surprise though, kept Neville out of the starting line up.

Neville wasn't great last year. Didn't regress exactly, but he didn't improve. At this stage he's still just an athlete who isn't anything special as a rugby player.

Reactions: daz

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
this team is pretty much what i expected. thought kingston might have started over mitchell, and timani might have been on the bench instead of faainga. thought mitchell on bench as cover for 11-12-13-14, perhaps kingston is there as the game breaker late in 2nd half when the defences are a little tired. roberts on the bench to cover 10 & 15
mcmahon was a starter at 6 in all the trial games and played well, so probably not much of a surprise. think neville, when match fit will start at 5 and we might see jones at 6 then. jordy reid probably the unluckiest

Status
Not open for further replies.