• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super W Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
she was one of the best for WA-got no clean ball on the wing in the first half,but was moved to 9 in the second and did very well there

You would have to think Hodder will go on and do well in 7's and switch focus there...given she can earn a living from 7's but not from 15's. She is the mens version of Maurice Longbottom, and a talented footballer. It is also great to see so many girls from indigenous backgrounds playing for the force as well.

T

TOCC

Hodder is only 17 and has also attracted the interest of the AFLW, however she was too young in 2018 to be drafted.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Watched the Reds and Force game last night. My wife absolutely loves these games, and I am happy to watch them with her. Without wanting to sound patronising, the standard is bloody high. Lots of hard contact, good tackling, and some very deft play.

I have to say that I for one was very sad to see the Force drop this one, although my wife was delighted (being as how we are kind of Reds supporters these days).

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Watched the Reds and Force game last night. My wife absolutely loves these games, and I am happy to watch them with her. Without wanting to sound patronising, the standard is bloody high. Lots of hard contact, good tackling, and some very deft play.

I have to say that I for one was very sad to see the Force drop this one, although my wife was delighted (being as how we are kind of Reds supporters these days).

It's been really entertaining and played at a very pleasing overall level of play. My only issues with the competition outside of the players not being paid is that it's just too damn short of a season. Ideally, we'd see it expanded to two full rounds of home and away games next season. At a minimum. I'd also like to see a similar arrangement to that in the NRC with the Drua and have a women's equivalent entered into Super W.

What would also be good if the option of payment isn't directly on the table next season is perhaps more of a semi-professional approach by looking at the diet and training side of the equation. Treat them like true elite athletes with programs etc. to elevate their skills and conditioning further.

T

TOCC

It will take a number of years to build the professionalism, Rugby isn’t like the AFL where they have the money to make the competition professional overnight. The key going forward is to improve the players fitness and skills to improve the product on display, and this is only made possible by increasing their wages to allow the players more time to train.

Assistance with diets and conditioning programs will help, but what they really need is just more time training.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Cannot but agree. Would love to see more money and more attention going on this competition.

Nah not going to happen, clyne and clark's Rebels black hole trumps grassroots and Women's Rugby.
BTW does anyone know a Billionaire interested in rugby whom is very pro equal opportunity?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It will take a number of years to build the professionalism, Rugby isn’t like the AFL where they have the money to make the competition professional overnight. The key going forward is to improve the players fitness and skills to improve the product on display, and this is only made possible by increasing their wages to allow the players more time to train.

Assistance with diets and conditioning programs will help, but what they really need is just more time training.

The diets and conditioning would be part of the equation in regards to added training time. I was sort of alluding to that. Instead of getting them together a month before run the squad through out the year and such. Develop proper programs for the players etc.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
You can criticise a lot of things, but you can’t crticise the Sukkars contribution and dedication to the game over the past 20 years.

No criticism at all, they are and have been fantastic for rugby. There are not many who want to and are able to.
My point was all the areas that we need to develop/repair are the areas that Twiggy is most interested in. Improvements in these areas would guarantee the future of rugby in Aust, not the money pit of the Rebels.
The Sukkars contributions are great but my guess is they don't even cover the costs of the comp.
Where as you have Twiggy who is spending millions over here and in Asia and they will barely speak to him now let alone last year.
End result is the extra money that Wamberal would like to see spent on the Women's comp won't happen, it will be spent on clyne's Rebels and the other Super teams and Aust rugby will keep spiralling down the gurgler.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Something I love most about the game is its ability to generate such wonderful sense of theatre and tension. Honestly, I believe it's unrivalled. And it proved so, so true with the Super W final. Gutting for the Queensland women. Just gutting.

But.........NSW, NSW, NSW!!!

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I'd love to see them go home and away and get the competition properly professional for at least a season before bringing the kiwis in, give our girls the best possible chance to succeed.

This could end up being the back door push to a trans-tasman comp for the men aswell, two unified 10-12 team comps run together turns into heaps of content and could help alleviate some of the travel and admin costs facing the super sides.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I'd love to see them go home and away and get the competition properly professional for at least a season before bringing the kiwis in, give our girls the best possible chance to succeed.

This could end up being the back door push to a trans-tasman comp for the men aswell, two unified 10-12 team comps run together turns into heaps of content and could help alleviate some of the travel and admin costs facing the super sides.

At least a double round of games. I'd also like to see a 6th team enter the fray. Perhaps do an NRC and look to get a women's Drua team. Regarding the Kiwi's. Yeah, I'd prefer to see us look to professionalize our teams first but it would be an interesting proposition going into the next TV deal if we do come around to a TT or AP Super Rugby with a women's equivalent.

Status
Not open for further replies.