• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
I now withdraw all prior predictions. Uni will win. They are too fit and have too much training and conditioning to be defeated. All other clubs are like amateurs with Uni the professionals.

Sucks actually.
I agree with you.How does Uni rort the points system and get away with it?
they seem to have so many more rep players in their squads.
Still, which sides impressed from this weekends rounds?

T

Tahboy

Don't mention rorting the points system
I think Norths, Randwick and Wests will be doing there best to stop Uni
Unfortunatly there is no 2nd round where all 4 clubs will get a chance to have a crack at each other to see how they are going
Randwick have now won 7 on the trot and are scoring some good tries with a forward pack leading the way and Zeb Holmes playing his first game yesterday from a knee reconstruction and Rob Bartlett at 8 back from a broken leg last year
Seb McGuigan the big lock is out with a broken wrist but should be back for the finals. Randwick played very well against Gordon who came to play and dropped down 2 players from grade to push for a top 8 spot.
It is going to be a great finals series

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I keep wondering why no one rates Manly in colts. They are running 3rd and they have beaten everyone except Norths, Uni and Wests (the wests game they should have won with a number of players missing and led 32 -22 midway through the 2nd half when a couple of their better forwards were injured). Their full team is made up of very good players (Porecki, Bursle, Dombkins and Northam) and they have a very good coach.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
I keep wondering why no one rates Manly in colts. They are running 3rd and they have beaten everyone except Norths, Uni and Wests (the wests game they should have won with a number of players missing and led 32 -22 midway through the 2nd half when a couple of their better forwards were injured). Their full team is made up of very good players (Porecki, Bursle, Dombkins and Northam) and they have a very good coach.
Manly are a good side no doubt , but to say they should have beaten Wests is hardly an objective assessment of the game IMO.
Manly were all over Wests in the first half , but couldn't get out of their own quarter in the second when Wests totally dominated & bombed several tries in the process.
It should be remembered that Wests had 3 representative forwards & their fullback out as well.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
shhhhhh - keep it that way

T

Tahboy

I haven't seen Manly play this year but I think if they were going to win a premiership it would have been last year and I'm not too sure if they are as good this year as last year

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
Awesome display of power and control by Uni in beating Easts 58 to zip. Without their big names they totally dominated against a gallant Easts who never gave up. It is going to take a very good team to beat Uni and I have yet to see one who has the depth and firepower to do so. Wests certainly gave them a fright early on but I would be surpised if Uni fell into that trap again. Maybe an improving Randwick can pull it off but I can't see Norths or Manly getting close.

R

rugbyfan

University play Norths next round followed by Manly - this two week window will be massive for the top 3 in the competition.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Awesome display of power and control by Uni in beating Easts 58 to zip. Without their big names they totally dominated against a gallant Easts who never gave up. It is going to take a very good team to beat Uni and I have yet to see one who has the depth and firepower to do so. Wests certainly gave them a fright early on but I would be surpised if Uni fell into that trap again. Maybe an improving Randwick can pull it off but I can't see Norths or Manly getting close.

University seem to be hitting their straps at the right time of the season.

T

Tahboy

One advantage Norths and Randwick have over wests and Manly is that they have good performing 2nd colts sides. When Uni start bringing on the star replacements Norths and Randwick can also make changes with good players
This was an advantage Uni had last year especially in the semi final against Randwick in being able to make strategic replacements and Randwick didn't have the same calibre of player on the bench
Going to be a good finals series

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
One advantage Norths and Randwick have over wests and Manly is that they have good performing 2nd colts sides. When Uni start bringing on the star replacements Norths and Randwick can also make changes with good players
This was an advantage Uni had last year especially in the semi final against Randwick in being able to make strategic replacements and Randwick didn't have the same calibre of player on the bench
Going to be a good finals series
I don't think the results in second grade colts mean very much.
e.g. Manly 40 def S.U. 38
S.U. 45 def Rand 12
Rand 35 def Manly 31
Rand 27 def Wests 26
You can interpret those results & their relevance to first grade any way you like.
However what is more relevant IMO is the presence of certain individual players in the seconds who are of a genuine first grade standard irrespective of how the team is going overall. Uni have more of those than
other clubs , but the other leading clubs all have 2 or 3 .

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
From my understanding the points system works like this; each team is allocated a certain amount of points, an oz schoolboy rep player is worth a certain amount of points, state reps less, et cetera. Not sure of the points allocated, someone posted the plan on this thread months ago. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can put more specific information.

T

Tahboy

What I am saying Done That is Norths and Randwick do have some good players in 2nds to contribute at a good level if they get onto the field in 1sts.
Last Randwicks 2nds finished outside the top 6 and just didn't have the players to make an impact when they went on the field at the level Uni replacements did
This year I think with Norths and Randwick 2nds doing well then this takes away some of the advantage Uni had last season

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I agree with tahboy, you can't discount depth in a club. Having competition for spots is an advantage because, as tahboy says, you can make tactical replacements and also if the 2s are doing well, the 1s know they've got to play well or get dropped.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
I agree with tahboy, you can't discount depth in a club. Having competition for spots is an advantage because, as tahboy says, you can make tactical replacements and also if the 2s are doing well, the 1s know they've got to play well or get dropped.
I'm not suggesting "depth" isn't important, that's obviously a given.
What I'm saying is that Uni will have the most players of 1st grade standard available on Grand Final day , & that reflects their depth.
It doesn't follow that the team coming second in the second grade competition has the next highest number of potential first graders .
If you watch the second grade games & are familiar with the players in each team , you would know , I believe , that that proposition is not necessarily the case , & is not a good indication of the number of genuine back up first graders.
The team that plays in the Grand Final , against , who I believe will be Uni , could well be one of the teams who are not near the top in 2nds , but who do have several
quality players in their second grade team , reflecting the idiosyncrasies of the 2nd grade competition.
i.e I'm talking about Grand Final teams.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's disappointing, due to lack of numbers or didn't want to get smashed? Parra might have 1st grade success but to have only 1 colts side and get beaten 45-0 by Penrith is very concerning

Status
Not open for further replies.