• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
The same bloke I'd guess . a typo.
Apparently last season's Baa baas are allowed to play 3rds.

Did that ruling change? From memory the SRU prevented a Baa Baa front rower from 3rds colts playing finals for Uni in 2015. Think there was a fair bit of discussion about it at the time. Brown?

Dexter

Bob McCowan (2)
Did that ruling change? From memory the SRU prevented a Baa Baa front rower from 3rds colts playing finals for Uni in 2015. Think there was a fair bit of discussion about it at the time. Brown?

The rule was under question at the beginning of this year I believe? While it was decided there would be 'no change to the wording' of the rule there seems to have been a change in interpretation of the original wording.

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
Good luck to you and the Souths Club Old Colt but would you guys (or any other club) honestly knock back talented players from other Clubs if they wanted to play for you, for whatever reason?

To be fair dinkum, Randwick or Uni couldn't care less what anyone from other clubs think about them or their recruitment policies. They attract players for a reason.

I dont have the specific numbers but plenty of Randwick colts are there to play the game with their mates and they also like the culture of the Club.

Some have been offered opportunities in regards to their studies and employment but that doesnt mean they dont enjoy playing for the Club anyway. And the Club has put in the work to set it up that way so it could be a bit of sour grapes coming from other Clubs.

It's not an even playing field but the governing body needs to do something about that.

Looking at the positives though: for every young bloke playing Colts for any Club for any reason, it means it's one less young bloke playing league.

I don't remember saying anything about Souths knocking people back if they wanted to play with us!?! In fact we'll take pretty much anyone, as long as they want to play rugby and are happy to be in a grade that's determined by their commitment and ability, not by the promises of cashed up recruiters.

Please don't try to tell me, or anyone else, that Randwick and Sydney Uni are the same!! There's ample (overwhelming even!) evidence of active recruitment in schools and rep teams by these two clubs, with the result that each year the 'cream' of the schoolboy crop ends up at one or other of them. We just happen to be fortunate that a large number of young school leavers have chosen to stick with the club where they cut their representative teeth from the U10s through to the U16s, knowing that there's an older cohort already there, who made the same decision last year.

I'll reprise an old refrain and suggest that if Randwick and Uni are so committed to supporting rugby and developing their players for the simple reward of having them play the game, then they should send some of their excess star players out west to bolster the playing ranks of Penrith, Parramatta and West Harbour, instead of playing them in 3rd Grade Colts!

lightning rod

Chris McKivat (8)
Some have been offered opportunities in regards to their studies and employment but that doesnt mean they dont enjoy playing for the Club anyway. And the Club has put in the work to set it up that way so it could be a bit of sour grapes coming from other Clubs.

It's not an even playing field but the governing body needs to do something about that.

They are not the only clubs that provide that style of support by any means, and no not sour grapes or dog whistling or any other phrase of diminution you want to drop.
I fear its more to do with who is managing the asylum, There is a lack of fortitude in applying rules, or further, those making the rules aren't going to establish anything that may harm their constituency.,

S

sidelineview

I don't remember saying anything about Souths knocking people back if they wanted to play with us!?! In fact we'll take pretty much anyone, as long as they want to play rugby and are happy to be in a grade that's determined by their commitment and ability, not by the promises of cashed up recruiters.

Please don't try to tell me, or anyone else, that Randwick and Sydney Uni are the same!! There's ample (overwhelming even!) evidence of active recruitment in schools and rep teams by these two clubs, with the result that each year the 'cream' of the schoolboy crop ends up at one or other of them. We just happen to be fortunate that a large number of young school leavers have chosen to stick with the club where they cut their representative teeth from the U10s through to the U16s, knowing that there's an older cohort already there, who made the same decision last year.

I'll reprise an old refrain and suggest that if Randwick and Uni are so committed to supporting rugby and developing their players for the simple reward of having them play the game, then they should send some of their excess star players out west to bolster the playing ranks of Penrith, Parramatta and West Harbour, instead of playing them in 3rd Grade Colts!

As I said, good luck to you, but we all know your last-paragraph wish wont happen.

They'll continue to offer incentives they have worked hard to set up and recruit for themselves. No amount of moralising will change that.

Randwick will also continue to attract players who want to play with their mates and play with a strong Club. The same applies to Uni as well, I suppose.

The governing body can change things but they'd need to be careful not scare players off and drive them to league.

S

sidelineview

They are not the only clubs that provide that style of support by any means, and no not sour grapes or dog whistling or any other phrase of diminution you want to drop.
I fear its more to do with who is managing the asylum, There is a lack of fortitude in applying rules, or further, those making the rules aren't going to establish anything that may harm their constituency.,

There is obvious jealousy and resentment and it's understandable, but more to the point and as you mentioned, it's more to do with head office.

lightning rod

Chris McKivat (8)
anyway as i have other stuff i should be doing :
this week
Gordon 9th v Easts 6th
coming off an away loss to Parramatta...Gordon may lift but probably not enough to upset an emergent Easts

University 1st v Warringah 5th
Warringah will be trying to prove their 5th spot is not based on the draw to date The only thing Uni will prove is a Warringah pudding before consumption

Norths 7th V Manly 8th
Both of these teams will be trying to reboot their season. Manly has played 5 of the top six teams and achieved a win and a draw from those five matches, Norths have top and tailed the comp with mixed success. the winner Manly? might be a semi chance late in the season

Wests 11th V SD 4th
Meh I dont think there will be any form reversals here

Penrith 12th V Parramatta 10th
should be a fun hit out for both teams Penrith don't look like they have the ability to score that they had last year

Woods 2nd V Randwick 3rd
Eastwood fingernails will give way this weekend and will find themselves behind Randwick and Southern on the competition table

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Interesting to note that 70% of Wicks colts from 2016 have now moved up to grade and only 2 (Stoltz and Tarogi) are in 1st grade this week. I believe they reported a similar % last year. Not sure whether the same applies to other clubs, but this must (and is) pushing out the long term lower graders from the club.

All but 3 (Betham, Goodbody and Croke) of this week's 1st grade team played colts at Wicks or came straight into grade from school (Andrew Kellaway).

Makes you wonder how strong Wicks would be without their colts recruitment program.

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
There is obvious jealousy and resentment and it's understandable, but more to the point and as you mentioned, it's more to do with head office.

Hmmmm........'moralising', 'jealousy and resentment'.....seems like a nerve's been touched, and the apologist/s for the 'super clubs' aren't happy.

I've already said many times in this forum that the SRU needs to do much more to control the rampant recruitment by Uni and Randwick, and my opinion hasn't changed, but claiming that the two clubs are blameless, and that its all the SRU's fault is simply appalling, and doesn't deserve any further comment.

S

sidelineview

Hmmmm....'moralising', 'jealousy and resentment'...seems like a nerve's been touched, and the apologist/s for the 'super clubs' aren't happy.

I've already said many times in this forum that the SRU needs to do much more to control the rampant recruitment by Uni and Randwick, and my opinion hasn't changed, but claiming that the two clubs are blameless, and that its all the SRU's fault is simply appalling, and doesn't deserve any further comment.

Im being pragmatic. Its life.

If the Clubs can do it they will.

lightning rod

Chris McKivat (8)
The governing body can change things but they'd need to be careful not scare players off and drive them to league.

unfortunately Not doing anything will scare more players to league.... out west (it does exist you know) where the game needs to be grown, and this code will happily disappear up a black hole of its own making

S

sidelineview

Wickw 3rds & 2nds comfortable wins.

Eastwood 1sts lead 12-5 half time.
2 yellow cards to E

Status
Not open for further replies.