• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney First Grade teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

red son

Frank Nicholson (4)
Now that you have encouraged me. Here are the second division clubs. I was a fan of the old second division and feel that it should be remembered. Sydney "Second Division" existed under a number of names between 1962-1992. 31 years!

NSWRU Second Division
1962 Hawkesbury Agricultural College, Hornsby, Mosman, Port Hacking, Sydney Teachers College, Western Suburbs

1963 Hawkesbury Agricultural College, Hornsby, Mosman, Port Hacking, Sydney Teachers College, University of NSW, Western Suburbs
(1963 UNSW added)

1964 Hawkesbury Agricultural College, Hornsby, Mosman, Port Hacking, Sydney Teachers College, University of NSW, Warringah, Western Suburbs,
(1964 Warringah added)

Sydney Rugby Union Second Division (SRU formed for 1966 season)

1966 Canterbury, Hawkesbury Agricultural College, Hornsby, Mosman, Nepean, Port Hacking, Sydney Teachers College, Warringah
(1966 UNSW and Western Suburbs promoted to First Division; Canterbury and Nepean added)

1967 Canterbury, Hawkesbury Agricultural College, Hornsby, Mosman, Nepean, Port Hacking, South Sydney, Teachers, Warringah
(1967 South Sydney added; Sydney Teachers College replaced by Teachers)

1968-1970 Bankstown, Canterbury, Hawkesbury Agricultural College, Hornsby, Mosman, Nepean, Port Hacking, South Sydney, Teachers, Warringah
(1968 Bankstown added)

1971-1974 Bankstown, Canterbury, Dundas Valley, Hawkesbury Agricultural College,
Hornsby, Macquarie University, Mosman, Nepean, South Sydney, Teachers
(1971 Port Hacking and Warringah promoted to First Division; Dundas Valley and Macquarie University added)

1975 Bankstown, Canterbury, Dundas Valley, Hawkesbury Agricultural College, Hornsby
Macquarie University, Mosman, Nepean, Smithfield, South Sydney, Teachers
(1975 Smithfield added)

1976 Canterbury-Bankstown, Dundas Valley, Hawkesbury Agricultural College, Liverpool, Mosman, Nepean, Smithfield, South Sydney, Teachers
(1976 Bankstown moved to and became Liverpool; Canterbury changed its name to Canterbury-Bankstown)

1977-1978
Campbelltown Harlequins, Canterbury-Bankstown, Dundas Valley, Hawkesbury Agricultural College, Liverpool, Mosman, Nepean, Smithfield, South Sydney, Teachers
(1977 Campbelltown Harlequins added)

The Sydney Rugby Union established a Third Division for 1979 and introduced promotion and relegation between the three Divisions.
1979 Campbelltown Harlequins, Canterbury-Bankstown, Drummoyne, Hornsby, Macquarie University, Nepean, Port Hacking, St George, Smithfield, Sydney University
(1979 Dundas Valley, Hawkesbury Agricultural College, Liverpool, Mosman, South Sydney and Teachers were relegated to the 1979 Third Division. Teachers and South Sydney amalgamated as Teachers-South Sydney for Third Division.
Drummoyne, Hornsby, Macquarie University, Port Hacking, St George and Sydney University were relegated from "First Division B" to form the 1979 Second Division with Campbelltown Harlequins, Canterbury-Bankstown, Nepean and Smithfield.)

1980 Campbelltown Harlequins, Canterbury-Bankstown, Drummoyne, Hornsby, Mosman,
Nepean, Port Hacking, Smithfield, University of NSW, Western Suburbs
(1980 St George and Sydney University promoted to First Division; UNSW and Western suburbs relegated from First Division; Macquarie University relegated to Third Division; Mosman promoted from Third Division)

1981 Campbelltown Harlequins, Canterbury Bankstown, Drummoyne, Eastern Suburbs,
Eastwood, Hawkesbury Agricultural College, Mosman, Port Hacking, Smithfield, University of NSW
(1981 Hornsby and Western Suburbs promoted to First Division; Eastern Suburbs and Eastwood relegated from First Division; Hawkesbury Agricultural College promoted from Third Division; Nepean relegated to Third Division and changed name to Penrith.)

1982 Campbelltown Harlequins, Canterbury Bankstown, Drummoyne, Dundas Valley, Hornsby, Mosman, Northern Suburbs, Port Hacking, Smithfield, University of NSW
(1982 Eastern Suburbs and Eastwood promoted to First Division; Hornsby and Northern Suburbs relegated from First Division; Dundas Valley promoted from Third Division; Hawkesbury Agricultural College relegated to Third Division.)

1983 Campbelltown Harlequins, Canterbury-Bankstown, Drummoyne, Hornsby, Liverpool, Mosman, Northern Suburbs, Smithfield, Sydney University, University of NSW
(1983 Port Hacking promoted to First Division; Sydney University relegated from First Division; Liverpool promoted from Third Division; Dundas Valley relegated to Third Division.)

1984 Canterbury-Bankstown, Drummoyne, Eastern Suburbs, Hornsby, Liverpool, Mosman, Northern Suburbs, Penrith, Smithfield, University of NSW
(1984 Sydney University promoted to First Division; Eastern Suburbs relegated from First Division; Penrith promoted from Third Division; Campbelltown Harlequins relegated to Third Division.)

1985 Canterbury-Bankstown, Drummoyne, Hornsby, Liverpool, Mosman, Northern Suburbs, Penrith, St George, Smithfield, University of NSW
(1985 Eastern Suburbs promoted to First Division; St George relegated from First Division; Dundas Valley declined promotion from Third Division due to a split in the club which allowed Liverpool not to be demoted to Third Division.)

1986 Campbelltown Harlequins, Drummoyne, Hornsby, Liverpool, Mosman, Northern Suburbs, Penrith, Port Hacking, University of NSW
(1986 St George promoted to First Division; Port Hacking relegated from First Division; Campbelltown Harlequins promoted from Third Division; Canterbury-Bankstown relegated to Third Division; Smithfield dropped to Third Division for not fielding the required number of teams.)

In 1987, the ten clubs that made up the 1986 SRU First Division affiliated directly with the NSWRU leaving the SRU. The dispute was over promotion and relegation and a proposed restructure of the competition. The SRU continued as the “SRU Premiership” competition with some of the remaining Second and Third Division clubs. The First Division clubs that left the SRU were: Eastern Suburbs, Eastwood, Gordon, Manly, Parramatta, Randwick, St George, Sydney University, Warringah and Western Suburbs.

Sydney Rugby Union Premiership

1987-1988 Canterbury-Bankstown (from 1986 3rd Div), Drummoyne, Dundas Valley (from1986 3rd Div), Hawkesbury Agricultural College (from 1986 3rd Div), Hawkesbury Valley (new club), Hornsby, Liverpool, Mosman, Northern Suburbs, Penrith, Port Hacking, South Sydney New Zealand (from 1986 3rd Div), University of NSW
(1987 Campbelltown Harlequins moved to the Illawarra Rugby Union;
Macquarie University and Wentwothville RSL (3rd Div clubs) moved to the NSW Suburban Rugby Union;
Smithfield withdrew before the season commenced; Hawkesbury Valley was a brand new cub added to the competition.)

For 1989, the ten clubs that had left the SRU in 1987 & 1988 re-affiliated with the SRU and displaced the clubs in "SRU Premiership". These (second division) clubs competed in a "SRU Metropolitan" competition.

Sydney Rugby Union Metropolitan

1989 Canterbury-Bankstown, Drummoyne, Dundas Valley, Hawkesbury Agricultural College, Hawkesbury Valley, Hornsby, Liverpool, Mosman, Northern Suburbs, Penrith,
South Sydney New Zealand, University of NSW
( 1989 Port Hacking amalgamated with St George as Southern Districts to play in the 1989 "SRU Premiership")

1990 Canterbury-Bankstown, Drummoyne, Dundas Valley, Hawkesbury Agricultural College, Hawkesbury Valley, Hornsby, Liverpool, Mosman, Penrith, South Sydney New Zealand, University of NSW
(1990 Northern Suburbs was added to the "SRU Premiership")

1991 Canterbury-Bankstown, Dundas Valley, Hawkesbury Agricultural College, Hawkesbury Valley, Hornsby, Liverpool, Mosman, Penrith, South Sydney New Zealand
University of NSW
(1991 Drummoyne was added to the "SRU Premiership")

In 1992 the NSW Rugby Union re-took the running of the Sydney club competitions. The "SRU Metropolitan" competition was rebranded the NSWRU "Sydney Cup".

NSWRU Sydney Cup
1992 (last year of a "Second Division") Canterbury-Bankstown, Dundas Valley, Hawkesbury Agricultural College, Hawkesbury Valley, Hornsby, Liverpool, Mosman, Penrith, University of NSW
(1992 South Sydney-New Zealand moved to the NSW Suburban RU.)

Prior to the 1992 season, Hornsby took the Sydney Rugby Union to court to attempt to gain promotion to the "SRU Premiership". Hornsby had won the "SRU Metropolitan" Club Championship in 1991. Drummoyne, who had finished last in the 1991 Premiership, argued that there was no automatic promotion and relegation when they were promoted in 1991. The SRU agreed. A court appointed arbiter ruled that since the NSWRU had taken over and the SRU no longer controlled the competition, Hornsby's summons lacked "practical utility". Hornsby was not promoted. Aren't lawyers wonderful.
At the end of the 1992 season, the NSWRU agreed that there could be a "right of challenge" between the club coming last in the Club Champion of the "Premiership" and the Club Champions of the "Sydney Cup" - involving all grades and colts. Hornsby had again won the Club Championship and challenged Drummoyne who had again come last. The challenge was held and Hornsby lost convincingly. Losing five of the six games played.

With Hornsby failing to defeat Drummoyne at the end of 1992, the teams in the 1993 Premiership ("first division") competition remained unchanged, but the NSWRU "reorganised" the "second division" by merging it into the NSW Suburban Rugby Union competition. The "Sydney Cup" teams and the top division Suburban teams played in a "combined competition" of 18 teams for one year and then in the following year dividing into the various Suburban Rugby Union divisions.

The Sydney "Second Division" in its various forms had come to an end.

As a final note. Ironically, the NSWRU relegated Drummoyne to the NSW Suburban Rugby Union in 1995. The "Dirty Reds" are still there.

red son

Frank Nicholson (4)
And to finish off for the night. The long gone third division.

SYDNEY RUGBY UNION THIRD DIVISION CLUBS 1979-1986

1979 Blacktown-Seven Hills, Dundas Valley, The Forest, Hawkesbury Agricultural College, Kellyville Postal Institute, Liverpool, Mosman, Teachers-South Sydney

1980 Blacktown-Seven Hills, Dundas Valley, The Forest, Hawkesbury Agricultural College, Kellyville Postal Institute, Liverpool, Macquarie University, South Sydney
(1980 Mosman promoted to Second Division; Macquarie University relegated from Second Division; South Sydney returned as a separate club having for one year been combined with Teachers.)

1981 Blacktown-Seven Hills, Dundas Valley, The Forest, Kellyville Postal Institute, Liverpool, Macquarie University, Penrith, Sydney Nomads
(1981 Hawkesbury Agricultural College promoted to Second Division; Nepean relegated from Second Division and changed its name to Penrith; Sydney Nomads was a new club formed from the previous Teachers club and Armidale College of Advanced Education old boys living in Sydney.)

1982 Blacktown-Seven Hills, Hawkesbury Agricultural College, Kellyville Postal Institute, Liverpool, Macquarie University, Penrith, Sydney New Zealand, Sydney Nomads
(1982 Dundas Valley promoted to Second Division; Hawkesbury Agricultural College relegated from Second Division; Sydney New Zealand a new club added to Third Division to replace The Forest who returned to the Sydney Sub-Districts RU.)

1983 Blacktown, Dundas Valley, Hawkesbury Agricultural College, Kellyville Postal Institute, Macquarie University, Penrith, Sydney New Zealand, Sydney Nomads
(1983 Liverpool promoted to Second Division; Dundas Valley relegated from Second Division; Blacktown-Seven Hills changed its name to Blacktown.)

1984 Blacktown, Campbelltown Harlequins, Dundas Valley, Hawkesbury Agricultural College, Kellyville Postal Institute, Macquarie University, Sydney New Zealand, Sydney Nomads, Wentworthville RSL
(1984 Penrith promoted to Second Division; Campbelltown Harlequins relegated from Second Division; Wentworthville RSL added to Third Division from Sydney Sub-Districts.)

1985 Blacktown, Campbelltown Harlequins, Dundas Valley, Hawkesbury Agricultural College, Kellyville Postal institute, Macquarie University, Sydney New Zealand, Sydney Nomads, Wentworthville RSL
(1985 Third Division was unchanged from 1984. Dundas Valley who had won promotion to Second Division requested to stay in Third Division due to a "split" in the club. Liverpool who were to be relegated from Second Division therefore remained in Second Division.)

1986 Blacktown ( Blacktown withdrew after playing four rounds as the club could field only two teams.), Canterbury-Bankstown, Dundas Valley, Hawkesbury Agricultural College, Macquarie University, Smithfield, Sydney New Zealand (changed name to South Sydney-New Zealand in mid-season), Wentworthville RSL
(1986 Canterbury-Bankstown relegated from Second Division; Smithfield dropped from Second Division for not being able to field the required number of teams; Kellyville Postal Institute and Sydney Nomads withdrew and moved to the Sydney Sub-District Rugby Union.)

In 1987, the ten clubs that made up the 1986 SRU First Division affiliated directly with the NSWRU leaving the SRU. The dispute was over promotion and relegation and a proposed restructure of the competition. The SRU continued combining (some of) the remaining Second and Third Division clubs into one competition - the "SRU Premiership".

Canterbury-Bankstown, Dundas Valley, Hawkesbury Agricultural College, and South Sydney-New Zealand were the four Third Division clubs remaining in this competition.

Of the other 1986 Third Division clubs, Macquarie University and Wentworthville RSL moved into the NSW Suburban Rugby Union (the Sydney Sub-District Rugby Union had changed its name). Smithfield withdrew prior to the 1987 season. Blacktown had withdrawn mid-1986.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
this should probably be in grassroots, but more people browse this area than there so here goes

Im looking to delve into the collective mind of G&GR to find EVERY team that has EVER competed in:
Priority 1: the shute shield
Priority 2: 1st grade sydney rugby

and their colours, im looking to this so i can update the wikipedia page and find some history for myself, its incredibly hard to find information like this, which is dissapointing considering history is something rugby can hold above the other codes in australia. I think this thread could go even deeper into shute shield history if you want (beyond what the NSWRU put up) their must be some amateur historians out there.

It may have taken a while RugbyFuture, but I think that your query has been more than answered by Red Son.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
One of my interests has been Sydney club rugby and I have compiled a list of clubs involved. Until 1885, it is not that simple to distinguish between "senior" (ie first grade) clubs and "junior" (2nd tier) clubs. Following is some of the info I have. I do have more going back to 1865.

Great read, well done, out of interest have you had a chance to get you hands on Manly's book - Sun Surf & Scrums. Manly's rugby since 1883.

red son

Frank Nicholson (4)
No. it's on my wish list. Last I looked you could get it from a local (Manly) newsagent. Don't think you could get it from the club. Could be wrong. But as a south of the harbour resident I don't cross the bridge too often :).

Sadly there are not to many books on Sydney clubs. To my knowledge there are ones on Mosman, Easts, Gordon, Eastwood, Sydney Uni, Drummoyne, Wests and Manly. Should be more. Too much rugby history is not enough!

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Fantastic work @red son!
If you catch up with @HughJarse over his obligatory half strength soy hazelnut latte with an equal, you two will have the great game covered from end to end.

red son

Frank Nicholson (4)
Thank you BW. Am a little bit overly "interested" in rugby history (ask the wife). What I would like to do is to post all my info on sydney club premiers in all grades since 1874. As a newbie and very old fart am still trying to get the hang of how and where to do this. Need help. Any takers?

red son

Frank Nicholson (4)
This is on the Randwick web site and there is a privately published book available but I can't remember the title or author. If you contact the club someone may know.
http://www.randwickrugby.com.au/rdrufc/history

Thanks coach, have read the site. Randwick is definitely one of the clubs that needs an officially published book. If I get the chance to post my article on the early premiers there is a nice story of the rivalry between Randwick and Wallaroos in the 1890s.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
No. it's on my wish list. Last I looked you could get it from a local (Manly) newsagent. Don't think you could get it from the club. Could be wrong. But as a south of the harbour resident I don't cross the bridge too often :).

Sadly there are not to many books on Sydney clubs. To my knowledge there are ones on Mosman, Easts, Gordon, Eastwood, Sydney Uni, Drummoyne, Wests and Manly. Should be more. Too much rugby history is not enough!

I'll grab one for you - drop you a PM. Yeah the Dirty Red one is a good read.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Thanks Red Son, you're awesome!

I have a set of articles on Rugby in the Parramatta region and know that there are some clubbies researching and working on publishing info for out there.

I should work on getting this info up on wikipedia as soon as I have some time (don't have as much as I used to)

red son

Frank Nicholson (4)
Thanks Red Son, you're awesome!

I have a set of articles on Rugby in the Parramatta region and know that there are some clubbies researching and working on publishing info for out there.

I should work on getting this info up on wikipedia as soon as I have some time (don't have as much as I used to)

My pleasure. enjoy sharing this stuff. The more people that know this the better. All those years ago you asked for club colours. Are you still interested? may be able to help with some. Old Balmain before 1900 was blue & white strips and red cap!

Have potted history of all the clubs in the old 2nd & third division. A lot of theses are out western sydney way. It was a failed attempt to grow the game out there. Have colours, (some) logos, home grounds.

Also have list of premiers for all grades and division since 1874.

Any interest?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Thank you BW. Am a little bit overly "interested" in rugby history (ask the wife). What I would like to do is to post all my info on sydney club premiers in all grades since 1874. As a newbie and very old fart am still trying to get the hang of how and where to do this. Need help. Any takers?

Send a PM to HughJarse, he's the resident expert at such matters.

Click on his name under his avatar and a mini screen will come up and then click on 'start a conversation' and you'll be flying.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
My pleasure. enjoy sharing this stuff. The more people that know this the better. All those years ago you asked for club colours. Are you still interested? may be able to help with some. Old Balmain before 1900 was blue & white strips and red cap!

Have potted history of all the clubs in the old 2nd & third division. A lot of theses are out western sydney way. It was a failed attempt to grow the game out there. Have colours, (some) logos, home grounds.

Also have list of premiers for all grades and division since 1874.

Any interest?

Definitely interested. Although my short flirtation with rugby administration at the rams left me battered and bruised, love knowing the whole history of brands in rugby.

Interesting things I've found in my research include the existence of the three strong teams in the parra area including the Parra Nomads, Parra Union and more importantly....the Parramatta Possums before the districtisation of rugby

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Thought I'd repost this gem of an historical article here. Originaly posted in the Shute Shield 2016 thread.

A great read from the Rats Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/warringahrats/posts/1061534617191795

::::: THE SHUTE SHIELD - A TALE OF TWO SHUTES :::::
The Shute Shield. A prize many clubs covet but only one can win each year. Club Rugby's premiership trophy is well known to many, it's name rolling off our tongues each and every season. But have you ever wondered just why it's called the Shute Shield?

Like most of Rugby's greatest prizes, NSW's Premiership trophy...or more appropriately Shield..has an interesting, if somewhat tragic history. And it is somewhat fitting that we explore the history of the Shute Shield in the lead up to this year's Grand Final - one that ironically features Eastwood, a club that will forever remain woven into the very fabric of the Shute Shield story.

This is a tale of two Shutes - Jack and Robert. Ironically, though sharing an unusual surname, they were not related but as fate would have it, they would forever be tied together through their passion for the sport and ultimately one tragic incident.

In an article that featured in the 'Stock and Station Journal' in the lead up to the NSW v Springboks clash of 1921, Jack Shute was described as "diminutive, ginger and plucky, afraid to tackle nothing and a straight runner."
Jack Shute was an old boy from Parramatta High School who was playing Junior Rugby in the Eastwood district.

With WW1 coming to an end, Rugby was looking to restart the local competition and by 1919 the young winger was selected to join a newly formed "Western Sydney" team that was to compete in the Sydney Premiership.

Jack Shute showed great promise..a solid defender with a penchant for scoring tries. It wasn't long before he caught the eyes of NSW selectors and joined the state team in 1920. Though narrowly missing selection in the team to face the All Blacks in 1921, a spate of injuries to the team saw Jack Shute recalled to the side that ultimately went on to record the best NSW touring record against New Zealand (winning ten out of twelve matches). It was his performance on that tour that saw Jack Shute selected to join the NSW team that was to play a trial match against a second squad of players, also vying for selection..this second team was colloquially known as "The Rest". The game was played on the King's birthday holiday, Monday the 5th June 1922 - interestingly at Manly Oval.

Selected into "The Rest" side was a young lad called Robert Shute. He was not related to Jack Shute. Robert Shute was an old boy of Sydney Grammar School. Upon leaving school he was employed as an Engineer's Apprentice but he, like many young men at the time, enlisted in the Australian Army on 19th April 1917 just three months after he turned 18.

He was assigned to the 35th Reinforcements of the 8th Field Artillery Brigade as a Gunner. War diaries of the 8th FAB tells of the constant bombardment of their positions and exposure to gas warfare. Robert Shute ultimately ended up in a hospital in Italy before finally returning to Australia and his post war life on 24 November 1919. By 1922 he had enrolled at Sydney University, studying Engineering and making a name for himself as a sturdy prop of great promise in their rugby team.

Both men could not have known that following that fateful match, their lives would forever become intertwined.
The trial game was played on Monday the 5th June at Manly Oval, then considered to be the premier rugby ground in Sydney. Towards the end of the first half Robert Shute had possession when he was tackled by Jack Shute. Robert fell heavily, hitting his head on the ground. He initially tried to get up but fell back to the ground unconscious. An ambulance was called and Robert Shute was taken to hospital.

The game continued without any of the players knowing the true extent of Robert Shute's injury and was ultimately won by the NSW 1st XV over "The Rest" 27 to 18, with Jack Shute scoring two tries and retaining his place in the NSW team. Robert Shute would later succumb to his injuries early the next morning at 6am on Tuesday 6th June, 1922, having never regaining consciousness.

The inquest into Robert Shute's death found it to be an unfortunate accident and that no one was to blame. Though devastated at their loss, Robert Shute's mother wrote an extraordinary letter to Jack Shute 10 days after the accident - a letter that remains preserved in the Shute family archives to this day;
"June 15 /22,
My Dear Boy,
In the midst of our own sorrow we have so often thought of you, and I feel I would like to write and tell you that you must not grieve too much over what happened to our darling. It was just an u fortunate accident, and no one was to blame in any way, and we feel very sorry so much has been said about it for your sake, as everyone says what a good clean player you are, and like our own Bob a true sport.
Thanking you very much for your kind sympathy.
Believe me
Yours Sincerely
Amy Shute"

It was hard to believe a man who had survived one of the most intense battlefields of WW1 and an infection that hospitalised him in Italy could die in a simple tackle on the rugby field. The circumstances of Robert Shute's death so shocked the rugby community that the Shute Memorial Trophy was established. It would ultimately become known as "The Shute Shield" and remains today as the ultimate prize in the NSWRU premiership competition.

After the death of Robert Shute, despite showing such great promise, Jack Shute's own rugby career as a player was also short-lived due to injury. He retired from playing not long after Robert Shute's death. He would eventually have a successful career in international business. But he would not desert rugby altogether. Jack Shute was instrumental in establishing the Eastwood Rugby Club and would become the Club's first President. He is credited with steering the Eastwood club towards success, something he often attributed to his business acumen and skills in administration but also to the skills and discipline he learned through the game.

He is still held in high regard by Eastwood and became the Clubs first Life Member in recognition of his services to the club. The Shute family ties to Eastwood and to NSW rugby remain strong to this day. Jack's son Douglas played for Eastwood straight out of school in 1956, ultimately representing Eastwood in 1st grade. In the 80s he would become Vice President of Eastwood before succumbing to fatal heart attack in 1986 while playing a game of touch rugby on the field. He was just 46.

Jack Shute's other son - Douglas' brother - is Robert, known well around NSW rugby as Rob Shute. Rob is involved with Division One subbies rugby and the Knox Old Boys Club. Rob's eldest son Nathan is a NSW referee and can from time to time be seen refereeing the lower grades in the Premiership competition. Rob's youngest son Chris was also a talented sportsman, representing Eastwood which went on to win the state championship in 1986. He went on to study at the Australian Institute of Sport for three years and represented Australia at the World Junior Athletic Championships in 1994.

The legacy of Robert and Jack Shute remains today, some 90 years after that tragic day. Robert Shute wasn't a well known player but simply a young player of notable talent trying to break into representative football.
As Eastwood and Manly take to the field today many of their players represent those same aspirations - some have achieved state and even national recognition while others are striving to get there. It is the same for players of the other 10 clubs who fought hard all season but didn't quite make it to this final round today. But in their own ways they represent and honour the memory of Robert Shute.

The Shute Shield is more than just a trophy to be won by the best on the day. As the Sydney Rugby Union declares on their website, "It also symbolises the heart and soul of rugby at its grass roots level. It is a reminder of the reasons we play rugby. The vast majority do not become household names but take to the field to give their best and to take what rugby has taught them into their lives off the field. Robert Shute is a symbol of all those players and the desire to strive to be the best you can."

(images and background courtesy of Jack Shute's Family archives, Eastwood Rugby Club and the Sydney Rugby Union)

11873442_1061470757198181_6480590076498896708_n.jpg

11902417_1061470793864844_2785801743762557262_n.jpg

A copy of the team list in the Program for the 1st trial match between Western Suburbs and "The Rest" played two days before their fateful clash at Manly Oval, featuring both Jack and Robert Shute

11755516_1061470857198171_5851757424546501411_n.jpg

A photo of the backs of the NSW team featuring Jack Shute on the far left.

red son

Frank Nicholson (4)
Thank you Quick Hands. As you suggested I approached Hugh Jarse and he has undertaken to get a lot of my ramblings on "who won what" and "list of clubs" up onto GAGR given my lack of expertise with these new fangled computers and websites. I still think they are a passing fad.
So as we await his much appreciated assistance (how does he have the time to do all this) I thought I would share some info on the earliest reports of (rugby) football in the great "Colony of New South Wales".

In the "Australian Town and Country Journal" of 3rd September 1881, (an obvious rugby tragic like myself) wanted to know when the first game of football was played in NSW. The Journal had a Q&A section for its readers. The reply was 1829.

The reference to 1829 came from a paragraph that appeared in the "Sydney Monitor" of 25th July 1829. This was not an easy quote to find as newspapers of the time were just one continuous columns of small print. This little item was between comments on fashion and a military parade.

The 1829 newspaper item is also referred to by John Mulford in his book – “Guardians of the Game – The History of the New South Wales Rugby Union 1874 -2004” : “... a passing report of some army privates – or ‘bold military kickers’, as they were called – amusing themselves with a football in the barracks in 1829, it hardly reads like any recognisable form of football ...”

Was this rugby as we know it? Very likely not. Except that all "football" until the 1880s in Sydney was "rugby" (a form thereof). Aussie Rule and Soccer didn't make an appearance until the 1880s. And that other code until 1908 (happy days!).

So when was the first rugby football club started?

Sydney University (my club) traditionally dates its formation to 1863, but there is nothing on record to support this. Lack of reporting in newspapers, however, does not of itself, prove that the University was not playing in 1863 and 1864, just that there are no existing records.

What we do have is a report which appeared in the "Sydney Morning Herald" on 6 June 1865. This is the first story reporting on the setting up of a rugby football club in Sydney, suggesting that the "Sydney Football Club" was the first club to be "formally" established. Or at least reported upon.

"Football - In pursuance of a preliminary meeting held at Lawrence's, on the 30th ultimo, at which it was determined that a club be instituted, to be called the "Sydney Football Club", a general meeting was held last evening and rules for the constitution and working of the club was resolved upon. About forty members are already enrolled. President, Mr. R. Driver, M.L.A. Mr. Hewitt was unanimously elected secretary and treasurer, and the following were balloted as a committee:- Messrs Lawrence, A. Park, V. Brown, T. Eddie, and G. Curtis. As soon as the committee have fixed upon by-laws and adopted rules of the game, the first game will be announced, and is likely to take place in about a fortnight. The ground is not yet fixed upon, but this point is not likely to involve any difficulty." [Source: SMH Tuesday 6 June 1865 p3]

The Sydney FC had an internal match on Saturday 17 June 1865 at Hyde Park and played its first game against "The Australian Club" over two days (also at Hyde Park on 8 & 15 July).

So what about Sydney Uni? Well newspaper reports on them also start to appear in 1865.

These are the references to the Sydney University Football Club in the newspapers announcing a “twenty a side” game to be played against the Sydney F.C. and reporting on an internal club game played on 17 August 1865 between “first year” versus “second and third”; and a match report on the Sydney F.C. match. The match was a draw. Ending with a dispute over rules.

So that's how it all began with a draw and a dispute over rules

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Red Son, in your post on Shute Shield clubs you listed West Harbour as a new club joining the competition in 1995. If memory serves me correctly Western Suburbs changed their name to West Harbour Pirates circa 1992-3.

Status
Not open for further replies.