• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
This idiot's "best" might be behind him but this is Subbies. This isn't about a career it's about playing for the love of the game.

He's a danger to everyone around him if he was to ever take the field again. And at 34, that's a long time to hold a grudge.becasue he obviously has a mind incapable of doing much else.

I hope he doesn't have kids. Think of what could happen to officials at their games!!!

I only hope that his name achieves infamy and ALL sports make sure he is never registered anywhere.
Seriously over the top and should be reported.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
I was teaching at a Northern Beaches school a few years ago when unfortunately a teacher with low self esteem decided to seduce a 15 year old student. This has been in the papers recently. What most don't know is that the student was male and the teacher female. She being in her 40's at the time. Her name has been withheld and has been sentenced to one year in prison. The way you guys discuss this other idiot needs to be placed under the microscope.
If a rapist gets 1 year then why does a guy who committed an assault get this punishment.
And to the idiot upstairs who say's he hopes the guy doesn't have kid's could you please remove the Manly logo. Some of us actually have a brain over here.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
I was teaching at a Northern Beaches school a few years ago when unfortunately a teacher with low self esteem decided to seduce a 15 year old student. This has been in the papers recently. What most don't know is that the student was male and the teacher female. She being in her 40's at the time. Her name has been withheld and has been sentenced to one year in prison. The way you guys discuss this other idiot needs to be placed under the microscope.
If a rapist gets 1 year then why does a guy who committed an assault get this punishment.
And to the idiot upstairs who say's he hopes the guy doesn't have kid's could you please remove the Manly logo. Some of us actually have a brain over here.

Lily, while my post was probably leaning towards hyperbole, it still stands that what this kid did was unforgivable, a complete stain on the game and an embarrasment to a great club.

Also if you have seen the verballing and abuse referees often receive, often as young as 14 at U9 matches, then imagine the intimidation that could be wrought by someone who has no compunction to hitting a match official.

Comparing it to a rape case itself moves into hyperbole. Your comparison says more about the legal system than anything to do with rugby. As you've described, that was a complete abuse of authority, on a minor that has ramifications for several lives. A one year sentence is ludicrous. The outcome of a Division 2 Subbies Colts semi final means what exactly? - Yet he felt compelled to assult somebody. Remember the ban is from the game, not life, not work and no restriction to freedom.

Also asking someone to disassociate themselves from a SS Club becasue you disagree with them...really? I could say the same because you condone the physical abuse of referees. That assertion is crap, I know, but I could infer as much from your response.

What this player did should never be forgotten by the game becasue the ramifcations are major and far reaching. However, I apologise for my intemperate response in defence of those who give up so much of their own time to allow people to engage in their passion for organised rugby, yet are abused for their generosity.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
Very interesting back line for Balmain in the minor semi yesterday
Drew Mitchell, Ryan Cross and Gavin Debartolo.
Granted, Debartolo has been in the side all the year but bringing in a Super Rugby player for the finals is pushing the bounds of "Patronship" too far.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Great win for Sydney Irish yesterday over Redfield. The lads took an early lead and were up at half time, then 3 tries in quick succession from Redfield had them leading 31-19. An Irish intercept stopped the tide and was the turing point. From then on the Irish pack then got a second wind from somewhere kept the ball in tight and got a couple of tries including a penalty try for collapsing the maul. Final score was 39-31.

There'll be a lot of sore heads this morning, a great way to cap off their first year!

Rugbyfish

Stan Wickham (3)
Hi all I recently found out ill be moving from Newcastle to the paddington area in Sydney at the end of the year. I was just wondering if anyone could suggest any subbie teams in the paddington surry hills area. Don't mind what division.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Rugbyfish, How about Colleagues, or Sydney Convicts, operating out of Rose Bay.

The Convicts will be winning the Mark Bingham Cup next year: Good incentive to join. All are welcome.

XVProps

Herbert Moran (7)
How does he qualify?
Drew Mitchell played 4th grade against Campbelltown in the last round. I think that enables him to play every grade above. Ryan Cross played First against Campbelltown on the same day. I don't care if these blokes play all year but stacking your side for the finals is pretty poor form. Eligibility needs to be looked at before 2014 season.

SackRobbie

Chris McKivat (8)
Drew Mitchell played 4th grade against Campbelltown in the last round. I think that enables him to play every grade above. Ryan Cross played First against Campbelltown on the same day. I don't care if these blokes play all year but stacking your side for the finals is pretty poor form. Eligibility needs to be looked at before 2014 season.

Not sure what the eligibility rules are but he would have had to play more than 1 game against your guys XV. He would have had to play during the season as well. Cross played at Balmain the year before at least as well I believe. Perhaps even before that?

Similarly not sure about all players or teams but a mate plays Div 1 and he said that St Pats, Balmain, Colleagues & Mosman beat each other once & lost the return game this year so its not a matter of stacking is it?

Its not about blow ins at this level or in SS in my opinion. Clubs need to be strong because teams need to win a vast majority of games to make the Finals. So its not just a few super stars. When those clubs do make the Finals they play the best team they have available. If a player is friends with the Club, has friends at the Club or is being given free rent, a car, hookers or a bundle or all of the above from the Club to play then of course he is going to get picked.

There's always rumours like Mosman giving free rent & cars, St Pats contracting 25 players per season, Balmain giving free trips overseas & Colleagues giving ex-Super rugby hookers match payments despite saying its against their DNA.

From my experience it is not always about the coin. I know a player in yesterdays Div 2 Premiership winning team that is being offered $700 a game to switch to the team that came runners-up. He is not going to take it but of course it is enticing.

BTW if Drew drove out to play lower grades at Campbelltown to qualify then fare play to him. 90 minutes drive to qualify must mean that he has something he likes about the set up as if he is getting paid then I am sure he would get just as much at Randwick. Oh that's right Randwick don't pay players but that's why Richard Aho knocked back $20k a season at Penrith to play at Randwick for free ;)

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Not sure what the eligibility rules are but he would have had to play more than 1 game against your guys XV. He would have had to play during the season as well. Cross played at Balmain the year before at least as well I believe. Perhaps even before that?

Similarly not sure about all players or teams but a mate plays Div 1 and he said that St Pats, Balmain, Colleagues & Mosman beat each other once & lost the return game this year so its not a matter of stacking is it?

Its not about blow ins at this level or in SS in my opinion. Clubs need to be strong because teams need to win a vast majority of games to make the Finals. So its not just a few super stars. When those clubs do make the Finals they play the best team they have available. If a player is friends with the Club, has friends at the Club or is being given free rent, a car, hookers or a bundle or all of the above from the Club to play then of course he is going to get picked.

There's always rumours like Mosman giving free rent & cars, St Pats contracting 25 players per season, Balmain giving free trips overseas & Colleagues giving ex-Super rugby hookers match payments despite saying its against their DNA.

From my experience it is not always about the coin. I know a player in yesterdays Div 2 Premiership winning team that is being offered $700 a game to switch to the team that came runners-up. He is not going to take it but of course it is enticing.

BTW if Drew drove out to play lower grades at Campbelltown to qualify then fare play to him. 90 minutes drive to qualify must mean that he has something he likes about the set up as if he is getting paid then I am sure he would get just as much at Randwick. Oh that's right Randwick don't pay players but that's why Richard Aho knocked back $20k a season at Penrith to play at Randwick for free ;)

Alot would also depend on when Balmain were able to register Monsoir Mitchell. There is a definite date that all Subbies players have to be registered with their clubs by in order to qualify for finals footy. I would have to wonder if Balmain got him in time given that he played for Randwick in the meantime.

But Subbies probably approved him playing because:
1. They'll day it is good PR for the competition
2. They are in love with Balmain

howyagoin

Ted Fahey (11)
Maybe Drewy Mitchell's games for Randwick qualified him as he was "on loan" to Randwick... Sounds silly but hey.... So is a S15 playing Subbies rugby.

SackRobbie.... Is Forest really putting out that much cash? Pats would be paying him that much regardless wouldn't they?

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Quick thing on the rules. As long as Drew was registered before 30 July (I think) that's covered. Drew has always been registered with Balmain and is "loaned" to Randwick. Thus he can play for Balmain. The next rule is 4 of your last 7 games for the Club. I wouldn't know the team sheets but if Drew played lower grades for those 4 games then he's eligible.

The system isn't perfect but there's only so much control Subbies can exert without becoming impossibly perscriptive. Rememeber most Subbies Clubs run on an oily rag and the coronary bypass surgury of stressed out volunteers. Start making the rules to stop a handful of clubs and it will kill the rest of them.

As for the money at other Clubs, be careful what you believe. I'm not part of any of the Clubs mentioned but good networks are the sign of a well run club. Cash payments will always fail in the longer term. You only need to see the rise and fall of the Clubs that have tried it...and the financial state of SS Clubs

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Hi all I recently found out ill be moving from Newcastle to the paddington area in Sydney at the end of the year. I was just wondering if anyone could suggest any subbie teams in the paddington surry hills area. Don't mind what division.

Come down and play for Sydney Irish, a lot of our players are based in Paddington and we'll be training in Coogee. We'll have 3 grades next year and despite the name we have a fair few Australians blokes playing, in fact our inaugural club man of the year is an Aussie bloke.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Are the Sydney Irish trying to emulate the Reading based Not Nots (London Irish) ? :)

Good to see that playing Rugby is the main thing, with the name/label being secondary.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...australian-rugby/story-fni2fxyf-1226723055776
Nice look from the Balmain prop - as it turns out their sometime superstar got cut down.
Balmain will be strong as long as Livingstone bankrolls them - the money eventually runs out as we have seen with a number of professional teams across a variety of sports.

Not a good look, I agree. As for them running out of money, not sure about that.

They definitely have a lot of it and it looks like it's being well managed. When Mitchell turned up for an away match, the home team made an extra $3000 over the bar. And that was in appalling weather. Imagine what that does for the home side on a regular basis. And from all reports it's basic appearance money - not some contracted wage. So money only goes out when it's coming in. That's the biggest problem most paying Subbies Clubs are having, they are still paying for players when they're injured.

Plus I hope the money doesn't run out. The more the gap opens betweened the paying and non-paying clubs the sooner NSWRU will have to act. Those who want money can do their thing while everyone else can play Subbies for the right reason, "for the love of the game" I wish Balmain every success in their ambition. It will force NSWRU into action and Balmian can then piss-off and leave ther rest of Subbies in peace:p

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)

Gee, I'm amazed that Penrith could afford to pay a player $20k a year.
Maybe Aho was prepared to lose that to try to get a S15 contract or a lucrative contract in France and maybe he thought his chances of achieving that was improved by playing at another club. He of course is now playing in France as is Mitchell.

BTW, a few players left Randwick at the start of this year when it was announced that nobody was going to be paid and a couple of them ended up in Subbies eg Makamaka at Balmain.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...australian-rugby/story-fni2fxyf-1226723055776
Nice look from the Balmain prop - as it turns out their sometime superstar got cut down.
Balmain will be strong as long as Livingstone bankrolls them - the money eventually runs out as we have seen with a number of professional teams across a variety of sports.

I wonder what happened with Livingstones televised competition which he said was almost ready to roll about this time last year?

Status
Not open for further replies.