• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Year Of

Allen Oxlade (6)
Dave fifita ran out for hac about 4 or 5 seasons ago

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Dave Fifita played the whole year and was registered to play for HAC about 4 or 5 years ago.

He wasn't contracted with any NRL club at that time, so he wasn't breaking any rules. He only got into the NRL two years later. He played u20's but then didn't make the grade and played rugby itstead

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Wasn't Parramatta busted about 15 years ago running out John Hopoate in a 4th Grade game?

Don't know if there was anything against the rules but running Hopoate on the field should at least be a fineable offence:D

3rd man in

Frank Nicholson (4)
Where is the vet?!!! Its thursday night usually he is lurking around with his matches of the round!!

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)
Ask and you shall Receive 3rd Man In

Match of The Rounds

Div 1- Mosman v Colleagues
Top of the table clash at Rawson Oval this week, this game will go right down to the wire. going to go with Colleagues JUST over the home side

Div 2- Blue Mountains v Newport
Newport travelling up the foot of the mountains to Lapstone Oval, don't expect them to travel very well in already number struggling lower grades, but expect them to come away with the Win in 1st Grade Newport by 9
(Expect some fireworks to from both clubs who don't mind a bit of niggle)

Div 3- HAC v Redfield
Mouth watering clash between last years grand finalist! HAC have never beaten Redfield and on their ladies day will be hoping that all changes. this is too close to call but im going to say Redfield will continue the streak

Div 4- Irish v Harlequins
Winner cements a top 4 spot, should be a tough day of rugby out at Latham Park. Irish to get out but not by many

Honourable Mentions
St Pats v Petersham- Bottom of the table clash, with a win each in Round 1 both teams looking to get their season back on track. Petersham to get up in that one

Forest v Hills- to clubs who last year had some close battles in the top grades last year, always a tough battle at Melwood but Hills have history on their side with a win out there in Round 14 last year Hills by 3

Beecroft v Epping- Back to Beecroft Day and 2 Sides looking to crack and stay inside the top 4. should be a cracker but have to go with Beecroft after their convincing win over Brothers last week

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'd have to agree with you on all of them.

Would love to be able to see the Whales vs Colleagues game.

Definatley think Newport vs Mountains is the most important clash of the rounds. Newport will be smarting from back to back losses after outplaying both Forest and Hunters for much of those games whilst Mountains have been the big improvers in Barraclough and will fancy their chances. A crucial game for both.

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
Ask and you shall Receive 3rd Man In

Match of The Rounds

Div 1- Mosman v Colleagues
Top of the table clash at Rawson Oval this week, this game will go right down to the wire. going to go with Colleagues JUST over the home side

Div 2- Blue Mountains v Newport
Newport travelling up the foot of the mountains to Lapstone Oval, don't expect them to travel very well in already number struggling lower grades, but expect them to come away with the Win in 1st Grade Newport by 9
(Expect some fireworks to from both clubs who don't mind a bit of niggle)

Div 3- HAC v Redfield
Mouth watering clash between last years grand finalist! HAC have never beaten Redfield and on their ladies day will be hoping that all changes. this is too close to call but im going to say Redfield will continue the streak

Div 4- Irish v Harlequins
Winner cements a top 4 spot, should be a tough day of rugby out at Latham Park. Irish to get out but not by many

Honourable Mentions
St Pats v Petersham- Bottom of the table clash, with a win each in Round 1 both teams looking to get their season back on track. Petersham to get up in that one

Forest v Hills- to clubs who last year had some close battles in the top grades last year, always a tough battle at Melwood but Hills have history on their side with a win out there in Round 14 last year Hills by 3

Beecroft v Epping- Back to Beecroft Day and 2 Sides looking to crack and stay inside the top 4. should be a cracker but have to go with Beecroft after their convincing win over Brothers last week

Slight correction: HAC defeated Redfield twice last year. In fact they won this corresponding game last year on the bell. Cracking match. Tomorrow will be no different.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Hey guys - wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice.

I am toying with joining a subbies team somewhere in the east, but I haven't played any footy for ages now, and when I did I never played at a very high level (played league as a kid and a bit of union with a Japanese uni team). I'm 33, reasonably fit, and work full time.

Anyone got any advice for teams in my area that might be a good fit for someone like me?

Cheers in advance!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
http://www.aru.com.au/tryrugby/findaclub

In terms of Subbies, these are two I know of:

Sydney Irish play at Latham Park, South Coogee.
http://www.sydneyirishrfc.com/

Sydney Harlequins play at Waterloo Oval.
https://sydneyharlequins.com/

Bonus for either of these clubs: you might get to meet me!

Best thing about Subbies is you're almost guaranteed a game for away fixtures. Some clubs don't travel well, particularly lower divisions where the geography is a bit wider.

Cheers Pfitzy - appreciate the tips!

Do you get many blokes in their 30s just rocking up?

thetraitor

Chris McKivat (8)

Also Waverley in the east. They have plenty of older and inexperienced blokes in the lower grades who play for the love of the game, and also the love of beer.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

Wouldn't have much of a club if we didn't ;)

Out our way, we get a lot of guys in their 20s who have either been playing league for a while and got sick of training 3 nights a week. Some of our Islander guys play with us Saturday and league Sunday. Nuts.

Some guys are just interested in having a go at it, some who haven't played since Colts, some who have moved house.

Give it a crack.

Funky

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hey guys - wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice.

I am toying with joining a subbies team somewhere in the east, but I haven't played any footy for ages now, and when I did I never played at a very high level (played league as a kid and a bit of union with a Japanese uni team). I'm 33, reasonably fit, and work full time.

Anyone got any advice for teams in my area that might be a good fit for someone like me?

Cheers in advance!

Use the find a club feature and pick one that is close to work / home / transport.

I played / was on the committee for Waverley, so will of course recommend there, but any club in the East will serve you well.

The only caution I say for people who haven't played much / or haven't played at a high standard / don't want to play at a high standard, and I say this as an observation from when I came to Sydney, and was a little shocked that some of the lower Divisions are better than the higher divisions, so you may be better off heading to a bigger club.

I'll never forget watching a Bronte Savers vs Sydney Uni Div 6 match at Dave Phillips final one year. Ouch.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Also Waverley in the east. They have plenty of older and inexperienced blokes in the lower grades who play for the love of the game, and also the love of beer.

Just what Waverley needs.... another player for their 8th grade team. Go to one of the fore-mentioned clubs and youll be greeted like a rockstar.

Status
Not open for further replies.