• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tahs vs Brumbies. Give us a hand mate? 2011R18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Let's not see this thread go down in flames like the Reds v Brumbies match thread...

I'm sure we're all in agreeance that we want the Brumbies to smash the Tahs...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
With TPN out, and Chapman in good form you would think the Brumbies' would be targeting the Tahs lineout this weekend.

However, with Palmer still out the Brumbies' scrum has really taken a step back.

As long as Rea keeps Valentine out of the side we won't have a backpedalling scrum with the ball just sitting there waiting to leave...

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Is TPN officially out? Hickey said in the post-game presser that he would only need a bit of rest over 48 hours. Apparently he just aggravated an injury he picked up in training on Thursday.

T

TheNextBigThing

barring catastrophe TPN will play on Saturday. He has shown a history of disregarding injury as has Hickey.

D

daz

I'm sure we're all in agreeance that we want the Brumbies to smash the Tahs...

Wellll, maybe not all.

I'd quite like 2 Oz teams in the finals. I suppose for the good of Oz rugby and the Australian people as whole I can be gracious enough to hope the Tahs get there. Sorry Ponies.

;)

T

Tahfan

Four points guarantees a finals spot. But it might also guarantee an away first qualifier.

Yeah but to finish 4th they need to get the 5 pointer and have the blues get nothing at home to the highlanders who are now on holiday. They are playing for 5th or 6th only, it would take a miracle to finish fourth, and without Cliff and TPN & Fat Cat looking dodgy, discretion may be better part of valour. Also do you really want him coming out and putting kerosene on the fire by saying we're going for the bonus point? Why give the brumbies motivation?

That said I'm sure if they start like they did last weekend they will of course push for the 4th try. Still wont get 4th place though.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wellll, maybe not all.

I'd quite like 2 Oz teams in the finals. I suppose for the good of Oz rugby and the Australian people as whole I can be gracious enough to hope the Tahs get there. Sorry Ponies.

;)

Part off me wants the Tahs to make the finals... just so they can beat the Reds...

The hours worth of entertainment that would follow on G&GR would be worth supporting the Tahs on something for the first time in my life...

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah but to finish 4th they need to get the 5 pointer and have the blues get nothing at home to the highlanders who are now on holiday. They are playing for 5th or 6th only, it would take a miracle to finish fourth, and without Cliff and TPN & Fat Cat looking dodgy, discretion may be better part of valour. Also do you really want him coming out and putting kerosene on the fire by saying we're going for the bonus point? Why give the brumbies motivation?

That said I'm sure if they start like they did last weekend they will of course push for the 4th try. Still wont get 4th place though.

The Blues result will be known 24 hours beforehand, the Reds result two hours before and the Crusaders result minutes before, which may well dictate tactics for the Brumbies game. The Tahs would want to play the Reds, Crusaders or Blues rather than travel to SA. So whether they want to win with a bonus or win without a bonus point will be known before they run on. Either way, they must win the game.

The key player that I fear for the Brumbies is McCabe. If he plays 12 then Carter will cover him and then I would start Pakalani and Turner at 13 & 14 and use Paka at 13 defensively. On attack, Turner to 13 and Paka to 14. Holmes and Cross would be bench cover if it all went wrong. If McCabe goes to 13 then I would bring Holmes in to 12 and put Carter at 13 with Pakalani and Turner on the wings. Cross and Anesi would go to the bench. That formation still has enough flexibility to allow a 5:2 bench.

In the forwards, assuming Fat Cat, TPN and Mowen are fit (big assumption I know) then it would be Fat Cat, TPN and Fuse with Tilse and Ulugia on the bench. In the second row, I would start Vickerman and Timani with Douglas on the bench. Vickerman plays to exhaustion and then Douglas comes on. The backrow would be Mumm, Waugh and Mowen with Alcock and Dennis on the bench. If any of the big three fail their fitness tests, then we have to bring the reserves into the run-on and promote another prop, Fitzpatrick (he must have recovered by now) or Perrett as appropriate. Not the worst pack in the comp, that's for sure and one that could grind out a win against the Brumbies. If we need a bonus point to avoid a SA team then its all on Kurtley.

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
I hope the Brums really makes the Tahs earn their points, makes for good viewing...

I just hope Ita Vaea doesn't knock any Wallabies out this week.....

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
Part off me wants the Tahs to make the finals... just so they can beat the Reds...

The hours worth of entertainment that would follow on G&GR would be worth supporting the Tahs on something for the first time in my life...

You've made it so much easier for me to support the Tahs in this match. My sincere thanks. :)

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Now just to mention something that could be important this week.

It's supposed to be bucketing rain in Sydney this week which will obviously bring the forwards into play.
The other factors to consider is that ANZ stadium is due to host the State of Origin on Wednesday night and a NRL match on Friday night which has the potential to tear that grass up a fair bit with all that traffic.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Now just to mention something that could be important this week.

It's supposed to be bucketing rain in Sydney this week which will obviously bring the forwards into play.
The other factors to consider is that ANZ stadium is due to host the State of Origin on Wednesday night and a NRL match on Friday night which has the potential to tear that grass up a fair bit with all that traffic.

Not a big deal I reckon. Friday and Saturday are supposed to be dry, mostly sunny, which is plenty of time for the surface to drain. I don't think I've seen problems with the turf cutting up at ANZ ever, really. Perhaps it's the one good thing about the stands being back from the field - plenty of sun on the grass.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Not a big deal I reckon. Friday and Saturday are supposed to be dry, mostly sunny, which is plenty of time for the surface to drain. I don't think I've seen problems with the turf cutting up at ANZ ever, really. Perhaps it's the one good thing about the stands being back from the field - plenty of sun on the grass.

There had to be one good point about that abominable stadium!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A complete dog act by Timani and completely missed by Joubert...

I hope Vaea knocks him out...

Status
Not open for further replies.