• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Talk about elitist

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HarveyColon

if making 11 year olds elite is what it takes to win a world cup then it shall be done

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Interesting little debate going on here. I guess we all have our perspective on the matter and I can only share mine, although I'm not sure if it will contribute much to this discussion.

I personally find this concept a good one, one that is lacking on the Gold Coast. I have a 10 year old who wants to participate in every training camp, clinic or workout that is available. We have attended the Reds (Rookies to Reds) and also the 2-day yearly one held in Armidale (NSW). I think it's called the National Rugby Camp (NRC). I'm a single parent and don't have much money, but I find it when programs become available. The Reds was about $100 and the NRC wasn't much more. I don't have an issue with paying.

The problem (and positive) with most clinics (and I'll say the NRC to be an exemption), is that the skill level being taught is for those new to rugby and have basic skill levels - makes sense as most young players are at this level. However, the problem I found is when boys (yes, even as young as 10 and 11) have skills beyond this level, they get bored and don't want to return again. This isn't being elitist, it's normal. You find the same issues in class rooms when students are required to do school work below their ability.

I've been looking for a more advanced training clinic to keep my son quiet (lol) I say this in jest because he naturally craves a learning level to meet his skill level (I wish he had the same passion for his school work *sigh). Little boys become bored easy and they need a challenge, it's just good to meet boys at their skill level to keep them interested. We do it in the class room, why not on the rugby field? As for the $300, I understand that some would and do miss out due to financial restraints - this is real shame. But I also see that sometimes in order to put these events on it will cost money. I would prefer to have a clinic @ $300 than not have one at all.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Interesting little debate going on here. I guess we all have our perspective on the matter and I can only share mine, although I'm not sure if it will contribute much to this discussion.

As for the $300, I understand that some would and do miss out due to financial restraints - this is real shame. But I also see that sometimes in order to put these events on it will cost money. I would prefer to have a clinic @ $300 than not have one at all.

Welcome, and it is your exactly your perspective that we need.

I understand in the scheme of things $300 for a camp of this type is not much. My main beef, and I believe that of others, is the location and number of these camps. As I have said previously for someone such as yourself to take you son to this camp it will actually be nearly $2,000.

As I have said before - it seems to be targeting a demographic not a purpose.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Welcome, and it is your exactly your perspective that we need.

I understand in the scheme of things $300 for a camp of this type is not much. My main beef, and I believe that of others, is the location and number of these camps. As I have said previously for someone such as yourself to take you son to this camp it will actually be nearly $2,000.

As I have said before - it seems to be targeting a demographic not a purpose.

Thanks for the nice welcome :)

Yes, agreed. I just couldn't possibly go and we have nothing even remotely similar in our area - nothing at least for another 3 years (being now at the U10 age level). The question for me is not if he is 'elite' or not - I don't particularly care for the play on words when describing kid's talents or abilities. I'm more interested in meeting HIS needs, not mine. He wants more and the structure doesn't have it for him. It's then left up to me fill in the gaps and I'm not an expert, although I do my best.

The bottom line for me is: can we have something for this age group (in all areas) that is a bit more than what is currently available.

edit: corrected spelling mistake

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Thanks for the nice welcome :)

Yes, agreed. I just couldn't possibly go and we have nothing even remotely similar in our area - nothing at least for another 3 years (being now at the U10 age level). The question for me is not if he is 'elite' or not - I don't particularly care for the play on words when describing kid's talents or abilities. I'm more interested in meeting HIS needs, not mine. He wants more and the structure doesn't have it for him. It's then left up to me fill in the gaps and I'm not an expert, although I do my best.

The bottom line for me is: can we have something for this age group (in all areas) that is a bit more than what is currently available.

edit: corrected spelling mistake

Good luck T, approach everybody from your sons primary school sports teacher to your local ARU/QRU community officer. Document the replies. CC to everyone as to why you struggle to get info regarding , training squads, development squads etc. Post it on here and CC the ARU. If those gaps need to be filled... Fill them, with the hides of the apathetic staff that will not do anything to assist you in you quest.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
I'll save myself the grief and continue to impart my own wisdom in the mean time. He's only 10 - he'll survive :) just a shame is all.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
If the camp was free or a loss-leader for the ARU, then you guys would be in a position to complain. Likewise, if the camps were part of a selection process for higher honours then by all means, wang on for four pages about the injustice.

But from what I understand, this is a paid camp in rugby heartland to make money for the people running it (who arent the ARU) and give the kids something to do in school holidays. The ARU likely have sweet fuck all to do with it apart from putting their name to it.

I remember going to all types camps like this at that age. I went so that I could see my friends and my parents outlaid a small amount of cash to get me out of their hair for a few days.

So what's the problem?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I have seen this organisation conduct their activities and was quite impressed with them. http://www.readyrugby.com.au/index.htm

They seem to be Sydney based but some enterprising fella's up Gold Coast way may be able to start a franchise of Ready Rugby (Tashara).

If ARU are becoming too "elite", and if there is enough demand, market forces will prevail, and organisations like Ready Rugby will spring up to fill that demand.

I believe that they are prepared to venture into "non-traditional" rugby areas, if the price is right - they are a business after all, and can tailor their programmes to suit "elite" or "non-elite", but they tend to focus on making their camps fun for the kids, and on the back of fun, the kids learn skills by stealth.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
I personally find this concept a good one, one that is lacking on the Gold Coast. I have a 10 year old who wants to participate in every training camp, clinic or workout that is available.

There is actually an excellent group on the Gold Coast called The Rugby Academy (www.therugbyacademy.com.au) which delivers high quality coaching to schoolboy rugby players. It is not affiliated with any school or club, nor run by QRU/ARU. Totally independant.
I have had involvement with the program and its first class & not targeted merely at beginners.
Not sure what age they start but I'm sure there were some 11 year olds in the program this year.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
There is actually an excellent group on the Gold Coast called The Rugby Academy (www.therugbyacademy.com.au) which delivers high quality coaching to schoolboy rugby players. It is not affiliated with any school or club, nor run by QRU/ARU. Totally independant.
I have had involvement with the program and its first class & not targeted merely at beginners.
Not sure what age they start but I'm sure there were some 11 year olds in the program this year.
Excellent... thanks for that - I'll have a look :)

Status
Not open for further replies.