• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tapuai to Melbourne?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Would be a great pick up, speaks volumes about our best 22, even XV next year.

Eg. JOC (James O'Connor) at fullback, potential departure of Gerrardo, Mitchell moving back to the wing...

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
He would be a great signing for the Reb's, and an enormous loss for the Red's... Very impressed with the Rebels mangement and coaching team, they seem to be recruiting really well for next year.

The Force on the other hand, what the hell are they doing!? How will they ever improve if they keep dragging their feet. Haven't heard of a single signing yet...

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Taps would be a huge loss for us. He would be my first choice 12 for the Reds any day of the week.

Yeah. I think the point that needs to be made early on their thread is this isn't the Rebels pillaging the Reds, it's more a reflection of the Reds' improvement.

If you have a cheap team that performs wonderfully well then they won't be cheap anymore, hence some have to move on.

A

AlexH

I wonder if these defections have anything to do with RG....

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
The Force on the other hand, what the hell are they doing!? How will they ever improve if they keep dragging their feet. Haven't heard of a single signing yet...

Don't see how the Force can recruit whilst they don't have a coach signed.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Would be a blow but not as much as the Higgers departure. I'd also pick Taps at 12 over Harris but its something that the team can live with, as long as Harris doesn't continue dropping sitters under the posts, and keeps up the kick percentage.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
If this deal comes off then the Rebels backline will look rather potent next year. A good mixture of speed, skill and starch. Taps would contrast well to the playing styles of Beale and O'Connor as he is a hard ball runner and in your face defender.

On the other hand though, i'm sure Taps wouldn't be leaving the Reds for pennies and after signing Higgers how deep are the Rebels pockets? As said earlier they should really invest in some quality front rowers and forwards in general. These superstar backs may only see limited ball if the forwards are getting monstered every week.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The Rebels need to stop recruiting backs and start recruiting front rowers.

I think Jono Owen has plenty of promise as a scrummaging prop, but it would be nice if we could get either Paddy Ryan (promising and off contract) or Siliva Siliva (maybe not off contract but Victorian).

On the other hand though, i'm sure Taps wouldn't be leaving the Reds for pennies and after signing Higgers how deep are the Rebels pockets? As said earlier they should really invest in some quality front rowers and forwards in general. These superstar backs may only see limited ball if the forwards are getting monstered every week.

Taps has family here (Melbourne) and that can be a big drawcard.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Do the Rebs have any marquee spots left? Or do they get unlimited spots because they're new(ish)?

It would be great if they could pick up a real rockstar of an international front rower. Ged Robinson is a pretty reasonable player (and Adam Freier might still be around?), so I don't think they have to worry too much about hookers, but it would be amazing if they set aside a bit of budget to get a prop like Castrogiovanni or Adam Jones or something (is Carl Hayman off contract?).

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
if true then i'd have to assume gerrard is all but gone, otherwise they are recruiting one of their best players out of the starting squad
phipps/kinghi - beale - vuna - taps - inman - mitchell - JOC (James O'Connor)

i like.

enough of this "rebels need a front row" the front row and pack in general has held up fine. they need to work on their line out, but i don't get this damning of the rebels pack. they were our best aspect last year and have performed well in almost all games this year. henderson has been excellent, weeks has played great when not injured and i've been increasingly impressed with blake - his constantly being penalised the other week was a joke as he was not at fault.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Don't know how they can afford it. How can 1 side have JOC (James O'Connor) beal higgers and taps. If they have got him I doubt they are going to be able to afford any more international standard players.

Not that the need too ....

Http://www.youtube.com/shiggins316

L

Linebacker_41

Whilst I dont like it Taps to Rebels makes the most sense of any recruitment that they have done since their inception.

His family connection to Melbourne makes it a sensible transition.

Taps = please dont be sensible in this decision. You will freeze in the Melbourne weather.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Don't know how they can afford it. How can 1 side have JOC (James O'Connor) beal higgers and taps. If they have got him I doubt they are going to be able to afford any more international standard players.

Not that the need too ....

I see your point. Maybe it won't just be Reds fans complaining about the Rebels not being part of the cap system putting the other clubs at a disadvantage.

W

What2040

would be a shame to see Taps head south. Stupid IMO. He has just broken into the reds on a regular basis, and Wallabies on the back of his reds performances. He really should consolidate in a successful team prior to signing elsewhere.

My prediction is that if he leaves the Reds he will not be quite as successful playing for the Rebs. Just my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.