• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tapuai to Melbourne?

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Don't know how they can afford it. How can 1 side have JOC (James O'Connor) beal higgers and taps. If they have got him I doubt they are going to be able to afford any more international standard players.

Calling Taps in an international standard player and grouping him with the names above is a huge complement to him and might be going a bit far.

He's good, he could even be great in time, but he's far from being a consistent Wallaby starter. He did well on that spring tour last year but he got his shot very much due to player attrition and didn't make the World Cup squad.

Taps will be expensive but he won't cost rockstar dollars.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
You serious Kronic? AFL is all your media & mainstream care about in Melbourne. I salute you guys getting behind the Rebels, make no mistake, and I hope you can make inroads into the AFL heartland. But AFL is unavoidable in your lovely but chilly metropolis.It's everywhere!

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I dont like this at all. Taps and JOC (James O'Connor) I believe will be the best 12's in the country. Why put them on the same team? Id love to see them both playing 12 on a regular basis. If he does go Id be forced to put Beale back to fullback and JOC (James O'Connor) at 10. I do believe Beale is a better flyhalf then JOC (James O'Connor) but I really dislike JOC (James O'Connor) at fullback as he gets exploited in the high ball due to his shortness. I really dislike a short fullback.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Good Melbourne boy coming home after the Reds poached him as a junior.

Phipps
Beale
Vuna
Taps
Inman
JOC (James O'Connor)
Kingi

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I dont like this at all. Taps and JOC (James O'Connor) I believe will be the best 12's in the country. Why put them on the same team? Id love to see them both playing 12 on a regular basis. If he does go Id be forced to put Beale back to fullback and JOC (James O'Connor) at 10. I do believe Beale is a better flyhalf then JOC (James O'Connor) but I really dislike JOC (James O'Connor) at fullback as he gets exploited in the high ball due to his shortness. I really dislike a short fullback.

While JOC (James O'Connor) thinks this as well, i'm not sure he is a long-term option at 12... 15 on the other hand... he could become Australia's version of Christian Cullen.

9 Phipps
10 Beale
11 Vuna
12 Tapuai
13 Inman
14 Gerard
15 JOC (James O'Connor)

Mouthwatering

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Brisbane born boy of Samoan heritage, moves to Melbourne as a young lad, sees the light & moves back home. Makes a name for himself & may be poached by Rebels because he's now good enough.
Just to get facts straight ;-)

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
if JOC (James O'Connor) grows another inch or two and puts on 5-10kg yes he will be a sweet 12. but until then, he is not a 12. i would happily have inman and taps at 12 and 13 - either one in either role. JOC (James O'Connor) has proved himself quite strong under the highball numerous times at super rugby and wallaby level so i don't buy that criticism of his game.
as for Taps' cost - he would not be more expensive than gerrard whose place he is probably filling. not to mention the room they freed up with the departure of danny boy and delve.

that is probably a fair chunk of salary freed up.

as far as internationals are concerned - as of next year (assuming lipman departs) we will have Ged Robinson and Chamberlain and I believe that is all and I further think chamberlain could qualify for Aus. so from next year we will be within the rules or very close to it. IMO, that benefit should then shift over to the force.

on a side note. if the rebels keep playing this entertaining brand of rugby, the crowd numbers are going to continue to tick up for the two remaining home games which are excellent ones (brumbies and reds). will have a great knock on effect into the next season.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
You serious Kronic? AFL is all your media & mainstream care about in Melbourne. I salute you guys getting behind the Rebels, make no mistake, and I hope you can make inroads into the AFL heartland. But AFL is unavoidable in your lovely but chilly metropolis.It's everywhere!
Thought we were talking about culture? ;)

Not the bullshit "media".

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Well it filters down to the culture Kronic, I well remember going to gigs in Melbourne circa 90's and always at least one of the bands members would be saying carn the blues or up the pies etc etc. The whole town shuts down for Grand Final day and the night after is just one huge party dedicated to the AFL. Don't get me wrong, it's a great experience, but it is definitely ingrained into the states psychy and a part of the state of Victoria's culture.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)

Initially liked this but want to change it a bit.

Beale at 10 and JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 is the Rebels best option. Gerrard has been very good at 15 so far and don't see why he can't keep that form up for a couple of seasons. Kingi is a very good backup. In my view JOC (James O'Connor) is a better 12 and Inamn a better option at 13 outside Beale and JOC (James O'Connor). Would really dislike having to move JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale around to fit Taps into the midfield there as it just isn't necessary.

Really want the Force to get there shit together. He would be of much more use to them.

Country Kid

Chris McKivat (8)
I going to Melbourne this Saturday.

I was a bit dumb booking a flight around 3pm:( - should have booked an earlier flight so I could have watched a club game on Saturday avro

Can any of you guys suggest a 'rugby friendly' location (close to the city) to watch the Brumbies V Reds game?

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
I going to Melbourne this Saturday.

I was a bit dumb booking a flight around 3pm:( - should have booked an earlier flight so I could have watched a club game on Saturday avro

Can any of you guys suggest a 'rugby friendly' location (close to the city) to watch the Brumbies V Reds game?

Turf Bar on Queen St has every Super Rugby game on, closest thing Melbourne has to a rugby bar. Great food too.

R

Richard D. James

JOC (James O'Connor) at 15?

JOC (James O'Connor) is plenty big enough to play 12 in Super Rugby and that has always been his best position.

10. Beale
12. JOC (James O'Connor)

How can you Rebels fans not want to see that? I want that for the Wallabies and you can have it in Super Rugby. If you've watched the Rebels over the last couple of weeks and taken notice of how the back line operates you'll see Lachlan Mitchell (who I think has played well at 12 and would be worth keeping rather than spending money on Taps) either running wide as a second-five, or slotting in to first receiver to let Beale run wide.

Think about playing like that with JOC (James O'Connor) instead of Mitchell. It will be a thing of beauty :)

The Rebels would be better off spending the money on more forwards and outside backs.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
How's Taps at 13? Inman has been solid this year without ever really lighting the world on fire. Beale - JOC (James O'Connor) - Taps would be a tasty looking midfield.

R

Richard D. James

How's Taps at 13? Inman has been solid this year without ever really lighting the world on fire. Beale - JOC (James O'Connor) - Taps would be a tasty looking midfield.

Taps was not that good at 13 when he played there for the Reds, although I believe those were his first games for them.

I would consider him 12

Status
Not open for further replies.