• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The ARU should help out the Eels

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Coupla developments in the Radradra saga, perhaps not unentirely unrelated:
1. Did a no-show at training despite his "leave" supposedly being over & being expected/ required to be available to play this weekend;
2. Issued with an AVO taken out by his former partner (but will still be allowed to play if he ever shows up).

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league...otection-order-against-parramatta-eels-winger

Strikes me this guy is trouble on legs & whoever signs him is asking for some grief down the track.

T

TOCC

now he is flying back to Australia with Jarryd Hayne holding his hand..
To be honest, so much talk of a player who is obviously talented but still hasn't achieved any great accomplishments.. time to move on

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
This is a young man who was living in a Fijian village and probably living a fairly traditional life. Playing Sevens for Fiji might well have been the extent of his sporting ambitions. He certainly did not chase a professional career in another sport and a foreign country.

He was quite possibly totally unprepared for the challenges at all levels. And of course he had the misfortune to join probably the worst managed franchise of all.

I feel sorry for the poor bugger, frankly.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This is a young man who was living in a Fijian village and probably living a fairly traditional life. Playing Sevens for Fiji might well have been the extent of his sporting ambitions. He certainly did not chase a professional career in another sport and a foreign country.

And yet he ended up having a professional career in another sport and a foreign country. How does this happen if he didn't chase it? Andrew Johns may be a person of (at least) questionable character but he doesn't strike me as a human trafficker :)

He was quite possibly totally unprepared for the challenges at all levels. And of course he had the misfortune to join probably the worst managed franchise of all.

I feel sorry for the poor bugger, frankly.

This on the other hand I agree with 100%.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
And yet he ended up having a professional career in another sport and a foreign country. How does this happen if he didn't chase it? Andrew Johns may be a person of (at least) questionable character but he doesn't strike me as a human trafficker :)

So the choice is either that Johns is a human trafficker or that Radradrada chased a professional career?

Johns has spoken a number of times about his trips to Fiji, and has also claimed to have arranged trials with NRL clubs for Fijians, including one chap who was a worker at the hotel Johns was staying at. Is this human trafficking, by your definition?

There are player agents whose livelihoods rely on finding and signing new talent. Are they human traffickers?

Maybe this will come as a surprise to you, but there are a myriad of ways that a young Islander can end up with an overseas job, whether it is in sport, or in any one of thousands of other jobs.

T

TOCC

There are player agents whose livelihoods rely on finding and signing new talent. Are they human traffickers?

No they aren't, at least not in this case..
And arguing that they are is trivialising the subject of human trafficking to suit the argument, Semi was contracted and during his time in Australia has not come under the control of any person beyond that of his contractual stipulations, he was still afforded full human rights and protected by the Australia law, he is not a victim of human trafficking FFS.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
If any of you have been involved with club recruitment, and I'm sure you have, it's not one-way with the Fijian players. They are very aware of the opportunities overseas and they chase them and shoot messages around offering their services.

This idea of foreign player agents chasing blokes and plucking them out of their island is a bit played out (and it's a bit racist to presume that they don't get basic economics because they were born on an island). Obviously, they are chased to an extent, but if you live outside of Suva or other larger population centres, there's no way those agents would spot you unless you chase them. The recruitment nets don't run that deep.

Sidebar - I am very happy that Radradra may be gracing rugby highlights reels soon. He's a great athlete and has not been criminally charged with anything as of yet. A great addition to our GAME.

That being said, his questionable behaviour professionally and in his private life means I don't think he should ever be touted as a Wallaby. TBH, I think if he spends time in France it resets his AU residency anyway.

TL;DR - The chasing of Pacific athletes goes both ways. Awesome to have Semi in rugby, but he shouldn't ever be in an Australian set-up.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Radradra....., his questionable behaviour professionally and in his private life means I don't think he should ever be touted as a Wallaby. TBH, I think if he spends time in France it resets his AU residency anyway.

There are strict requirements about time in Australia and time spent away during the four years immediately prior to applying for citizenship. A shame the powers-that-be didn't check this when Speight was playing in NZ all those years ago.

Read here: https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Ente/Retu/residence-calculator

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So the choice is either that Johns is a human trafficker or that Radradrada chased a professional career?

Johns has spoken a number of times about his trips to Fiji, and has also claimed to have arranged trials with NRL clubs for Fijians, including one chap who was a worker at the hotel Johns was staying at. Is this human trafficking, by your definition?

Maybe this will come as a surprise to you, but there are a myriad of ways that a young Islander can end up with an overseas job, whether it is in sport, or in any one of thousands of other jobs.

That's a fairly extraordinary response to what I wrote, several months ago I might add, in response to your assertion that Radradra didn't actively pursue a sporting career in Australia. Subsequent events & those likely to ensue once his legal issues are sorted (whether in his favour or not) suggest that he did.

No they aren't, at least not in this case..
And arguing that they are is trivialising the subject of human trafficking to suit the argument, Semi was contracted and during his time in Australia has not come under the control of any person beyond that of his contractual stipulations, he was still afforded full human rights and protected by the Australia law, he is not a victim of human trafficking FFS.

I don't believe I said anything of the sort. As with @Wamberal I think you need to re-read the sequence of posts & bear in mind they were dated several months ago.......

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
FFS find your safe space if you've been triggered.

The point is: Radrada looks like a grub, so I'm glad he's not in our game.

End of.

Status
Not open for further replies.