• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The ARU should help out the Eels

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Fark, I know I'm not to engaged in this conversation but it's pretty cringey when a bloke tries to shut down another on a rugby forum by trivialising 'safe spaces' and 'triggering'.

Sorry to hit your hot button issue, but this just reeks of what some people might call 'privilege'.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
It's interesting that different cultures place a different emphasis on violence against women.

Years ago I was involved in a mediation with Fijian partners in a DV matter.

The bloke freely admitted he had hit his wife and did not seem remorseful about it at all.

I made the comment: Was it usual for him to hit his wife ?

His response gobsmacked me: He said "Only when she's done something wrong"

Trouble is we have certain values in this country.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's interesting that different cultures place a different emphasis on violence against women.

Years ago I was involved in a mediation with Fijian partners in a DV matter.

The bloke freely admitted he had hit his wife and did not seem remorseful about it at all.

I made the comment: Was it usual for him to hit his wife ?

His response gobsmacked me: He said "Only when she's done something wrong"

Trouble is we have certain values in this country.

Wow. Well, I would say in many circles in the West this viewpoint still exists for children, so it's not a stretch to say some groups would still feel this way about women.

Though, I'd like to think one of the benefits of globalisation is that these viewpoints are dying.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Wow. Well, I would say in many circles in the West this viewpoint still exists for children, so it's not a stretch to say some groups would still feel this way about women.

Though, I'd like to think one of the benefits of globalisation is that these viewpoints are dying.

Physical discipline yes.

Kids do need more damn discipline in general though. Old man in my 20s.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Physical discipline yes.

Kids do need more damn discipline in general though. Old man in my 20s.

Kids do need discipline, or perhaps better messaging of the same thing is 'kids need structure and education', but studies don't point to 'physical discipline' being effective, so it's just cruelty really.

Not that I'm shitting on anyone that opted to raise their kids that way, it was certainly 'conventional wisdom' and 'just what you did' for a long time, but we have better information now.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Kids do need discipline, or perhaps better messaging of the same thing is 'kids need structure and education', but studies don't point to 'physical discipline' being effective, so it's just cruelty really.

Not that I'm shitting on anyone that opted to raise their kids that way, it was certainly 'conventional wisdom' and 'just what you did' for a long time, but we have better information now.

Huge social issue really, that is, respect - for parents, older people in general, authority figures (like teachers and the Police).

Mainly the responsibility should fall upon the parents to instill values from babyhood and that bad decisions have consequences (as do good ones)

Gotta go and see my Psychiatrist now !

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Huge social issue really, that is, respect - for parents, older people in general, authority figures (like teachers and the Police).

Mainly the responsibility should fall upon the parents to instill values from babyhood and that bad decisions have consequences (as do good ones)

Gotta go and see my Psychiatrist now !

I think respect for authority within the proper channels is healthy, as well as treating everyone fairly, but respect for older people has always been an interesting one.

I just don't agree you earn respect for surviving in an era where natural selection is dead.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fark, I know I'm not to engaged in this conversation but it's pretty cringey when a bloke tries to shut down another on a rugby forum by trivialising 'safe spaces' and 'triggering'.

Sorry to hit your hot button issue, but this just reeks of what some people might call 'privilege'.

Only because you don't understand sarcasm or humour.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I think respect for authority within the proper channels is healthy, as well as treating everyone fairly, but respect for older people has always been an interesting one.

I just don't agree you earn respect for surviving in an era where natural selection is dead.

You young whippersnapper !
As you grow older and mature a bit you will agree with the respect issue that older people should get (doesn't mean they are always right !) some respect:):)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Ah yes, the old 'claim you're joking, but given no context suggesting you are' ploy. Nice.

Why would you have any reason to doubt me?

I have been nothing but honest on this forum to date, and extremely funny to boot.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Why would you have any reason to doubt me?

I have been nothing but honest on this forum to date, and extremely funny to boot.

I'm not saying you're lying, I'm saying there was no context saying you were being sarcastic. I have a sense of humour, maybe not a good one, but context wasn't there.

My larger point stands against the anti-'safe space' and 'triggering' rhetoric, usually spouted by people that have it pretty good. I agree there's a line where it all gets a bit silly, but with the 'company line' some sections of politics are rolling out you'd think as a white male you couldn't scratch without getting torn a new one.
You young whippersnapper !
As you grow older and mature a bit you will agree with the respect issue that older people should get (doesn't mean they are always right !) some respect:):)
Not to get too lame and into personal philosophies, but I'm all about the idea of 'unconditional positive regard', which has been written about extensively and is worth a google.

I just think the idea of age being a factor in how deserving you are of respect is a bit strange. Particularly when it's well noted what the 'boomers are doing to the millennials economically, but that's a vastly different conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.