• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Ashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Johnson is getting another go after lunch. It is almost like Punter is giving him a last chance. If he is wayward this will play into Englands hands.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Looks like Punter is already resting Hilf and Sid for the next test. Johnson is now almost certain to be dropped. North looks like he could actually be retained on his offerings with the ball!

If we don't bat first in Adelaide I reckon we will go down.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Well I'm glad we saw England bravely going for the unrivalled glory of the draw; the overwhelming desire not to lose and instead be boring softcocks just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy...

H

Hodgy

are you serious?! What a brilliant fight back from England, 220 odd runs behind after the first innings and a stunning response, flat pitch and toothless attack taken into account, I haven't seen an England score like that, well, ever. The declaration was well timed and they should have had at least one more wicket but for Colly dropping a dolly.

Roll on the rest of the series, although without a few unprompted batting collapses (which both sides are capable of) there might be a few more draws yet. Oh, and at least it can't be 5-0 this time!

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I wouldn't say brilliant, but England can hold their head high. Certainly a good performance. Think they can take a slight advantage but nothing more. Both sets of batsmen looked to have both sets of bowlers measure.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
We'll walk away the more disappointed team. We had the game firmly in our grip for three days and couldn't land the killer blow, something that is becoming distressingly common. Some changes will have to be made for Adelaide and I'm hoping that Bolly comes into the team. He currently has the figures of 19 overs, 2 for 32 at the WACA.

The middle order batting is of greater concern and the worst part about it is that the guys who should be pushing for places aren't scoring enough runs. I wonder about Clarke though. I'd rather get Khawaja in there than a crocked Pup. Northy is a concern too. Thankully Huss got some runs and by all accounts was pretty lively out in the field. That's normally a good sign.

England weren't brilliant either, with most of their bowlers copping some hammer, but they would be feeling more content than us at the minute.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
My team for the next test:

1. Katich
2. Watson
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. Hussey
6. North
7. Haddin
8. Siddle
9. Harris
10. Hilfenhaus
11. Bollinger

Harris and Bollinger in for Doherty and Johnson. North proved he isn't far away from Doherty, so gets the nod for his bowling and occasional ability to contribute over 10 runs. Johnson is down on confidence, needs some time in the Shield. My only issue with that team is the tail is very short, but it shouldn't be an issue if the batsmen do their jobs.

But I think the selectors will pick an unchanged side. Why? They are the Australian cricket selectors. Its their thing.

H

Hodgy

I wouldn't say brilliant, but England can hold their head high. Certainly a good performance. Think they can take a slight advantage but nothing more. Both sets of batsmen looked to have both sets of bowlers measure.

jeez then you're a harsh man. Given the record in Brisbane, being over 200 runs behind on first innings with two and a bit days left, the general sense at the end of the 3rd day of 'here we go again' and our collapses over the last 18 months I'd definitely consider the score of over 500 for the loss of only one wicket, breaking records left right and centre for England in Aus as a brilliant fight back.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The pitch was an aboslute road. 1/500 is a fantastic achievement, and a very good fightback. I just think the conditions (which saw Ponting and Watson put on the easiest 100 you will ever see on session 3 of day 5 facing a new ball) do not warrant the use of the word 'brilliant'. But I certainly see where you are coming from.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
They bat pretty well, wouldn't be a bad thing. It must be said though, if one of their Saffas get injured they've got an Irishman ready to jump right in. I'll have to update the flag then

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
My Team:

1: Kaditch
2: Wato
3: Puntar
4: Clarkie
5: Sir Cricket (has been knighted)
6: Haddin
7: Smith
8: Bollinger
9: Hilfenhouse
10: Doherty

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Captain is a Saffa as well..

Yeah, he sort of counts as one of the 3 in the top 4 (batting line up), doesn't he?

You can add Prior to the overall list. So the count is now 4 Saffas and 7 English in their starting line-up.

Unfortunately no-one from the sub continent or the other British Isles countries. Although there are one of each of them in the extended squad.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The pitch was an aboslute road. 1/500 is a fantastic achievement, and a very good fightback. I just think the conditions (which saw Ponting and Watson put on the easiest 100 you will ever see on session 3 of day 5 facing a new ball) do not warrant the use of the word 'brilliant'. But I certainly see where you are coming from.

It was brilliant, there is no doubt about it. Particularly the concentration of Cook, and for Trott to continue right along the same vein when Strauss was dismissed.

Of course we did drop about 4 catches though.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Our fielding was poor last summer too. Used to be one of the thigns that we always did well even if we weren't performing with the bat and ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom