• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Awful Truth About The ARU's Financial Position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
As an idea it's ok but this model was deemed unsustainable for the ARC: how can it work for amateur kids in the off season?
The implementation has been absolutely vintage ARU: have a look at some of the yarns in the JGC thread.
Junior development needs to be handled from village level upwards not with an ARC/NRC style comp dumped into a vacuum with no pathway and a 600 kid tryout in 37 degree heat.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Although if it starts in August, it's not really off season - certainly no more off season than February (Sydney's hottest most humid month).

I agree with you that it should be bottom up, rather than another layer chucked in.

Playing at the end of the season would mean it would be after village and district reps have finished, which strikes me as a more logical way of doing it. Also if the 15s and 17s were run as part of colts, they could finish their season after 1 round (with semis and gf). That competition would effectively be a 12 week selection trial for JGC, which could run August/September. It would also require ARU to resource the 15s/17s colts teams (and provide the equivalent support in other regions and states).

The idea of providing resources for junior players is laudable. I just think the model is odd and also seems high cost.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
How much would a GM at Rugby HQ be on?

Presumably more than the package of CEO of a Souper Rugby francise.

I would say, almost definitely not. Not even close.

edit: to clarify, I suspect Fagan has taken a pay cut to move to Sydney. Pure speculation on my part, but it is known that he did it for love (a certain person who works for Fox Sports and is the daughter of an ex-Wallaby coach), not for his career.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Although if it starts in August, it's not really off season - certainly no more off season than February (Sydney's hottest most humid month).

But that would mean the team could actually be representative of the best players and you might end up with that riff raff west of the Pacific Highway earning a spot on the team. It's not like "those kind of people" could afford the $600 contribution.Where would the finances be then.

Really QH, darstardly thoughts with ridiculous outcomes...what were you thinking

:p:p:p

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
RC, rugby needs everyone playing the game and having the opportunity to play the game at a high level if we are to progress. I'm not talking of defeating league, just having a meaningful presence (as opposed to no presence or a token presence).

I'm not that old, and I've spent all my life in the Manly area, but when I was growing up in the 70s, rugby was much more accessible to everyone. My local club played annual pre-season fixtures against Seven Hills juniors and we used to go to the Merrylands 7s every year and come up against really strong clubs from the Parramatta area. Manly also used to play junior rep trials against Parramatta and they were tough games.

I actually despair at what rugby has become. The thread I started about the decline of Sydney juniors was a response to this despair. I see the rugby authorities doing little to address the problem. The makeup of the NSWRU board and the obsession with private schools gets to me. I look at rugby around the world and even in class obsessed England, it's not like this.

I've asked a number of times, on a number of threads; "How many Israel Folaus are there out there in western Sydney who never have the opportunity to play junior club rugby?" It's enough to make you weep.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
RC, rugby needs everyone playing the game and having the opportunity to play the game at a high level if we are to progress. I'm not talking of defeating league, just having a meaningful presence (as opposed to no presence or a token presence).

I'm not that old, and I've spent all my life in the Manly area, but when I was growing up in the 70s, rugby was much more accessible to everyone.

Probably because back then there were lots of volunteers to coach the teams, drive the kids to games, and so on. Not only are there lots of other things for people to do than volunteer to look after kids' sporting teams, there are also a lot more constraints, rules, regulations, and who knows what other impediments. People work harder now, as a generalisation, they need their leisure pursuits.

I've asked a number of times, on a number of threads; "How many Israel Folaus are there out there in western Sydney who never have the opportunity to play junior club rugby?" It's enough to make you weep.

it's just the way it is, now. I hate to say it, but the young Israel Folaus are doing what Izzy did when he was a kid.

Luvmyrugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Posters
None of these intelligent an considered solutions/opinions/discussions mean squat until Super Rugby and indeed Qld Premier Rugby are shown on Free to air Tv in some form.
Currently the only Rugby shown is Shute Shield and only at a watchable time in Sydney.
I'm in Qld. I coach U15s. Out of 24 boys there are 8 who can name a favorite Red player. there are 5 who have a Foxtel subscription at home. this is not a club in .Logan or Caboolture but a private school team in Brisbane.
If they don't know about it, they won't play it and they won't beg their parents to pay to take them to the games ....simple. And this in the State that tops the emberships and crowd figures.
Just sayin

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Currently the only Rugby shown is Shute Shield and only at a watchable time in Sydney.

I learned yesterday that my mum is very keen for the ABC's shute shield coverage to start - I didn't even know she watched it - so don't underestimate the power of FTA.

PS She's only just in the wrong demographic at 84. Still it is the game played in heaven.

Luvmyrugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
My point exactly. if shown, it will engage a whole range of fans. I watch the Shute shield at 2am on Wednesday morning. that's when it's shown in Qld!!
It's a wonderful product packed with skillful young players really expressing their talents...often exactly what test rugby is not.
Watching six tests a year is not going to excite a 13 yr old boy who can watch the Rabbitohs or the Swans or the other mob every weekend live.
he never ses Hugh Pyle charging for the line, or Aiden Touas jet shoes, or dare I suggest , the frenetic attacking rugby in a kiwi local derby like crusaders v chiefs.
The code is withering on the vine and there is a simple solution...let the people see it!

T

Train Without a Station

My point exactly. if shown, it will engage a whole range of fans.

I certainly understand your point luvmyrugby. But what you need to understand is that if come next TV deal, ARU pushes for Super Rugby on FTA, there is a very good chance you won't be watching Israel Folau, Quade Cooper, Will Genia, Scott Higginbotham, etc. because the money won't be there. How many people is it going to engage if Super Rugby teams and the ARU need to half their player salaries due to massive decrease in revenue.

I'm not shooting down your point of view, I'm just trying to say it's not that simple. Codes in healthy financial positions have the luxury of being able to choose the best TV deal for their code. Code's losing money hand over fist annually need to be a slut for the best dollar unfortunately.

My point is I really don't think that FTA will be a viable option on the next TV deal unfortunately. But agree, it should certainly be the goal.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
These 2 posts are what should be looked at as it will build the financial position from the grass roots - great posts.

I learned yesterday that my mum is very keen for the ABC's shute shield coverage to start - I didn't even know she watched it - so don't underestimate the power of FTA.

PS She's only just in the wrong demographic at 84. Still it is the game played in heaven.
I know allot of people who follow various coded - and I'm surprised myself about the number of people who enjoy the ABC footage of the Shute. Over recent years I have found that far more enjoyable than Super & Test rugby.

My point exactly. if shown, it will engage a whole range of fans. I watch the Shute shield at 2am on Wednesday morning. that's when it's shown in Qld!!

It's a wonderful product packed with skillful young players really expressing their talents.often exactly what test rugby is not.

The code is withering on the vine and there is a simple solution.let the people see it!
And it is, these players are playing because they love rugby - pure and simple. They are (some are) playing for clubs that generally are showing better profit margins than the ARU. To have these players turn up to mini / junior rugby training is great for the kids. These kids then go and watch them play on Saturday.

Luvmyrugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
we have to start somewhere
The "codes in healthy financial positions " had to get there somehow.
Maybe we have to wear losing a few highly paid players to France etc.?
All sorts of questions need to be asked rather than accepting the status quo.
Maybe the health of the code doesn't necessarily start at the top?
It certainly needs to grow up and out from the tree it is now.

Maybe we start with the ABC (?) showing the local province's (ie Reds in QLD, Tahs in NSW etc) weekend game locally , on delay (Sunday morning?).
Surely that wont impinge too much on Fox's rights.?

On that, maybe its trime to grow up and say thanks Mr Murdoch its been a great 18 yrs but we need to come out from behind you skirt?
Partnership not ownership? Not Ruperts business model I know.

All I know is that the code will continue to stagger (and anyone who thinks it isn't also thinks its only played in GPS schools) until kids are lining up to play it.

They never see Israel etc now!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
All sorts of questions need to be asked rather than accepting the status quo.
Maybe the health of the code doesn't necessarily start at the top?
It certainly needs to grow up and out from the tree it is now.

Maybe we start with the ABC (?) showing the local province's (ie Reds in QLD, Tahs in NSW etc) weekend game locally , on delay (Sunday morning?).
Surely that wont impinge too much on Fox's rights.?

On that, maybe its trime to grow up and say thanks Mr Murdoch its been a great 18 yrs but we need to come out from behind you skirt?
Partnership not ownership? Not Ruperts business model I know.

All I know is that the code will continue to stagger (and anyone who thinks it isn't also thinks its only played in GPS schools) until kids are lining up to play it.

They never see Israel etc now!
Have you seen how many times fox replay their games?

T

TOCC

Yes we all know FTA would be great, the issue is money, plain and simple..

Unless someone can plug the missing $millions which would be created by moving from Foxtel to FTA then there isn't a whole lot which can be done..

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Yes we all know FTA would be great, the issue is money, plain and simple..

Unless someone can plug the missing $millions which would be created by moving from Foxtel to FTA then there isn't a whole lot which can be done..

TOCC - with > 3k in posts???:) - shit there likes not posts, legend status ;)
Yeah there is we can get out and support our Shute clubs, always bring a kid or 2+ plant the seed and let it grow.
All good!! not having a crack

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
From today's SMH, I understand that the Pulveriser is looking to include an FTA option in the next broadcast agreement.

I hope he's successful, even if it's only on the 2nd channel. I can't see any of the networks putting super matches on their main channel. If networks thought that it would rate, they would have picked it up already.

More matches like the Brumbies and Reds last night, Rebels last week and the first 2 Waratah matches might spark some interest.

Win ugly ain't gonna do it. (Note to Force directors - no-one wants to watch boring crap on primetime TV);)

T

Train Without a Station

These codes have lived within their means though. Based on repeated losses and only 1 super franchise turning a profit, the ARU isn't.

Rugby Union, at least in Australia, has gone down a path of at least medium term dependence on Pay TV money. Due to this, moving away from Pay TV will never be a cold turkey proposition. It started because that's where the money was to kick it all off and since then, organizational malaise has allowed this dependence to increase.

The 2003 RWC money has been spent and they are relying on the 2013 Lions tour and Pay TV money to sustain the ARU through the losses until 2025. Any greater losses will see them not make 2025.

How they got into healthy financial positions is long term planning.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
To be honest, you don't fix a business by screaming at the customers, you fix the product/business model.

The thing is, if a sport ever dies you can't blame its fans, there are none. Only the sport/its administrators can be blamed for administering over a sport that did not grow / satisfy its customers.

Also I think you will find people watch more then one sport at a time, the influence of competition in sport is overrated. Just because you may find yourself watching "filthy mungos" or "aerial ping pongers" because you like their product, you are watching it because of their product not because you hate rugby and your jumping off the titanic.
Yep, especially the last bit. Apart from a couple of years following Rugby League as a little tacker, I have pretty much stuck with rugby. Most of my good mates played it and follow it. BUT, quite a few spend more time, and certainly more money at AFL and Rugby League these days because, they, or more so their kids like the product. They get hooked by the junior programs and the marketing to kids. Over time, a few of these guys I know hardly go to a rugby game anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.