• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Awful Truth About The ARU's Financial Position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Show the punters the Cheetahs v Hurricanes match. 1st scrum at the 35 minute mark and how fast did the game move?

End to end, backline movements, forwards interchanging passes, rucks, mauls, lineouts all done at pace, but NO SCRUMS.

I speak as someone who has passionately defended the rugby scrum for years, but it has become something that it was never intended to be. It is meant to be a quick way of restarting play involving a hooking and/or pushing contest, but it's become a painfully slow process, which bores the socks off all but the most avid scrummager. It has become a penalty winning lottery based on the whim of the referee.

And no, I don't expect the IRB to do anything about it.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Because unless Irish fatties have somewhere else to catch their breath, nothing is going to change.

Anyway, back to the core topic: financial position.

I don't know about the rest of you fluffybunnys, but I'm fixing the financial status of rugby in this nation starting on Friday with my attendance at the SFS for Tahs v Rebels. I'm taking the day off work to get an early start, and I'll even buy a cup of that cat's urine they put up as beer, even if I tip half of it down the drain.

Possible showers from Wednesday but that didn't stop us giving the Reds a good old fashioned proctology lesson. Get there and spend your money. Let's have a bumper crowd eh what, and show the boys we support them!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The Carlton Draught out there is ok, but not all bars have it - the VB there is enough to swear off the grog for life.:)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Easy solution.

Stock up on the Good Stuff at the Local Taphouse just around the corner before and after the game.

No easy solution once you pass through the SFS gates. Try not to have too many there.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
The Carlton Draught out there is ok, but not all bars have it - the VB there is enough to swear off the grog for life.:)

Still, VB and CD are far better than drinking that dog piss bottled as Tooheys. That 'orrible stuff gives you the worst hangovers, even more so than VB and CD.

T

Train Without a Station

Take that back. The only things better than Tooheys are the nectar of the gods XXXX and the QLD Dessert wine, Bundy Rum.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Take that back. The only things better than Tooheys are the nectar of the gods XXXX and the QLD Dessert wine, Bundy Rum.

This coming from a person who resides in the fair lands of Mexico? I'm sending the border police around to your house right now.

Granted when in QLD I will drink XXXX because I always prefer the local drop. Exception clearly when I go notth of the border I won't touch that Tooheys stuff. Most bars up there have good stuff like Jame Squire, Little Creatures, Matilda Bay and coopers anyway :)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
XXXX - a beer so bad that it's mid-strength alternative is about six thousand percent better

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
So gents, I posted this in the Brumbies thread earlier, but think its worth of being posted in here. Might just be me, but I am starting to think we need to start a thread titled: ARU - I've done all the dumb things...well not all of them yet, but we are trying!

I know there maybe planning reasons etc, but really these are the opportunities that need to be utilised. These are our next Wallabies, and with a quick re-schedule, and putting the NSW v QLD as curtain raiser for the Tahs may at least increase the crowd numbers (ok, it may only a one or two people being the bus drivers but its an increase!)

Add in a bit of high school marketing and you might even dare do a tie in to club rugby...where they came from! I know, out of bounds for the ARU: too close to Jnr development!

Same thing applies in Cbr - Brumbies should have grabbed the opportunity and rounded up all the potential under 20's talent whilst they are captive in Canberra.

To me I can see that this is ARU incompetency, and most likely state / region / local political bullshit at play again.

So, can we add to the Rebels team change idiocy (AKA - how to be successful and attract supporters) and the dobbing (we are pathetic special spoilt school boys) crap? We need to be better than the NRL but we seem to want to take every opportunity to prove we can be as stupid as them!

Under 20 Championships to be held at Viking Park in Canberra. Game days are Saturday 22nd, Monday 24th, Wednesday 26th March.

Under 20's squad: http://www.brumbies.com.au/News/Art...-players-picked-for-Combined-States-team.aspx

Draw: http://www.rugby.com.au/Portals/18/Files/Playing/National U20 Championship/2014 National U20 Draw_Final.pdf

Very little promotion or information available.

Be a good event to go and support the local....oh wait.....how stupid of me to think the ARUwouldn't schedule it up against Brumbies home game while its in Canberra! Genius!

I have to ask why at least one of these games is not the curtain raiser for the Brumbies, or even better another one as the curtain raiser in Sydney on Friday night!

Just wondering if the ARU is still to work out that if no ones knows about it no one will turn up = no $$$$$$ and there's always that risk that that ARU want to avoid - exposing the game to people, or dare we say it... publicity.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The playing field has to be vacant for more than a hour before kickoff of the Super XV games.
They actually played the Tah A's v Brumbies A's before the Tahs v Force.
In front of 8 mums & dad's,12 girlfriends,me & a dozen old guys who got the time wrong for kickoff in the main game.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
So gents, I posted this in the Brumbies thread earlier, but think its worth of being posted in here. Might just be me, but I am starting to think we need to start a thread titled: ARU - I've done all the dumb things.well not all of them yet, but we are trying!

I know there maybe planning reasons etc, but really these are the opportunities that need to be utilised. These are our next Wallabies, and with a quick re-schedule, and putting the NSW v QLD as curtain raiser for the Tahs may at least increase the crowd numbers (ok, it may only a one or two people being the bus drivers but its an increase!)

Add in a bit of high school marketing and you might even dare do a tie in to club rugby.where they came from! I know, out of bounds for the ARU: too close to Jnr development!

Same thing applies in Cbr - Brumbies should have grabbed the opportunity and rounded up all the potential under 20's talent whilst they are captive in Canberra.

To me I can see that this is ARU incompetency, and most likely state / region / local political bullshit at play again.

So, can we add to the Rebels team change idiocy (AKA - how to be successful and attract supporters) and the dobbing (we are pathetic special spoilt school boys) crap? We need to be better than the NRL but we seem to want to take every opportunity to prove we can be as stupid as them!

Under 20's squad: http://www.brumbies.com.au/News/Art...-players-picked-for-Combined-States-team.aspx

Draw: http://www.rugby.com.au/Portals/18/Files/Playing/National U20 Championship/2014 National U20 Draw_Final.pdf

Very little promotion or information available.

Be a good event to go and support the local..oh wait...how stupid of me to think the ARUwouldn't schedule it up against Brumbies home game while its in Canberra! Genius!

I have to ask why at least one of these games is not the curtain raiser for the Brumbies, or even better another one as the curtain raiser in Sydney on Friday night!

Just wondering if the ARU is still to work out that if no ones knows about it no one will turn up = no $$$$$$ and there's always that risk that that ARU want to avoid - exposing the game to people, or dare we say it. publicity.

mst that is unstructured waffle!
bits and pieces that i didn't really follow.
bit like one of mine posts.
I think there is some really good content in there.

In short there are some quality players / games - our next generation that are being played at stupid times with little promotion or awareness.
Whether it be the U20's games, or games where we have an involvement in Pacific Rugby Cup why not play and promote them as curtain raisers.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The playing field has to be vacant for more than a hour before kickoff of the Super XV games.
They actually played the Tah A's v Brumbies A's before the Tahs v Force.
In front of 8 mums & dad's,12 girlfriends,me & a dozen old guys who got the time wrong for kickoff in the main game.

ILTW yeah that 1/2 before kickoff thing makes for a great time to grab a feed & drink when kick off is 7:30.
Watch a game - feed - main game.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Even if no one is there to watch the curtain raiser apart from 20 Mums and Dads,and 5 girlfriends, when the curtain raiser has to finish 1 hour before the main game, the TV crew are there. Most of the cost of televising the game is in the setup and take down. These costs are sunk as the TV is already there for the main game. Film the curtain raiser and throw it out on FTA, stream it on you tube or play it at 2am on the ABC. Some coverage is better than none, even if the stands are empty. Ever seen a <insert carmaker's name> Cup Under 20 mungo game on the TV? Lucky to have more in the stands than there are in the TV Crew.

It does seem a little silly to have a U20 match on at the same time as there is a Super Game on in the same town. It means that the Soup game crowd will be down by 20 Mums and Dads and 5 girlfriends, and 5 match officials, and 20 freeloaders from the Admin department.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
It does seem a little silly to have a U20 match on at the same time as there is a Super Game on in the same town. It means that the Soup game crowd will be down by 20 Mums and Dads and 5 girlfriends, and 5 match officials, and 20 freeloaders from the Admin department.

Its the ones that are played Mon - Fri during working hours that frustrate me.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
mst that is unstructured waffle!
bits and pieces that i didn't really follow.
bit like one of mine posts.
I think there is some really good content in there.

In short there are some quality players / games - our next generation that are being played at stupid times with little promotion or awareness.
Whether it be the U20's games, or games where we have an involvement in Pacific Rugby Cup why not play and promote them as curtain raisers.

Dave; thanks and yep - guilty. Thrown together in a rush whilst multi-tasking, unstructured waffle, but it got the point across.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Dave; thanks and yep - guilty. Thrown together in a rush whilst multi-tasking, unstructured waffle, but it got the point across.

Been guilty of it myself - and sometimes edit things a day or two later. good points

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Even if no one is there to watch the curtain raiser apart from 20 Mums and Dads,and 5 girlfriends, when the curtain raiser has to finish 1 hour before the main game, the TV crew are there. Most of the cost of televising the game is in the setup and take down. These costs are sunk as the TV is already there for the main game. Film the curtain raiser and throw it out on FTA, stream it on you tube or play it at 2am on the ABC. Some coverage is better than none, even if the stands are empty. Ever seen a <insert carmaker's name> Cup Under 20 mungo game on the TV? Lucky to have more in the stands than there are in the TV Crew.

I couldn't agree more! I cannot understand why a game that is supposed to be professional and fighting for its own life is not trying to maximise and market every opportunity. The mungo game can do it what's the ARU's problem. Any extra TV / on-line content (ARU on-line channel?) would be great and probably offset cost for broadcasters.

Dare I suggest that maybe a ARC game be a played as a curtain raiser? Or even a local hybid under 12's 9 -aside challenge comp or something....anything!

At the end of the day the 20 Mums and dads, 5 girls friends, 8 grandparents etc is all still more bodies that we currently get! And for mine, its those people we want to attract and encourage as most are affiliated in some way with the roots of the game (local clubs) and will help grow the game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
People are on another planet if they are questioning why an Under 20s game isn't being shown on TV somewhere or filmed in a manner that it can be streamed online.

The potential audience would be miniscule.

Who do you propose is going to spend the money to create a broadcast package that is only going to be watched by a handful of diehards?

As I Like To Watch said, when they had a curtain-raiser involving lots of Super Rugby players, it was still only watched by a couple of hundred people.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Who do you propose is going to spend the money to create a broadcast package that is only going to be watched by a handful of diehards?

As I Like To Watch said, when they had a curtain-raiser involving lots of Super Rugby players, it was still only watched by a couple of hundred people.

• So the die hards who want to promote the game miss out.
  • I agree with what you say with regards to broadcast though.
  • What shits me - as yet the Magners Shute Shield hasn't started, why can't we have some of the games played on either a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.
Instead some are played mid - week during work hours - and that limits the people who can attend. What happens at TG, Concord, Rat park and I'm sure there are others on a Sat or Sun arvo.

Some people may pay money to go given the thread subject is about Financial.
Or you could also stick this idea into decline of Junior - School excursion to a rugby clinic, then watch a game afterwards.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
So gents, I posted this in the Brumbies thread earlier, but think its worth of being posted in here. Might just be me, but I am starting to think we need to start a thread titled: ARU - I've done all the dumb things.well not all of them yet, but we are trying!

Status
Not open for further replies.