• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Awful Truth About The ARU's Financial Position

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tip

I'm also talking USA, Canada and Japan. When they're ready - and the sooner the better. The former bring additional content, the latter bring additional content and additional markets. We currently have a Rugby Championship that usually contains 12 matches played over 6 weeks (8 if you include the 2 bye weeks). If you have an 8 or 10 team competition played over an equal amount of time you'd have 24 or 30 games. That's a lot more content (relevant to more markets) from which to draw

I'd prefer a promotion-relegation model. 5 teams in the Rugby Championship (Which really confirms it as the Rugby Championship) Last place has to play a home&away fixture against the winner of the Pacific Cup. For gods sake, PLEASE include USA & Canada in this cup.

For instance: Rugby Championship: Aus, NZ, SA, Arg, Fiji

Samoa, Tonga, Japan, USA, Canada.

This makes a 10 week comp, with two byes.

Which equates to an 11 week comp for Aus & NZ with a 3rd Bledisloe test.

Too much Rugby? Gefffeeeeee

3 inbound tour matches, 9 RC matches, 3 - 4 NH tour matches.

15 - 16 tests a year (Which is actually remarkably similar to what we play now) . More rugby. More broadcast revenue. Samoa, Fiji, Canada, Tonga, Japan, ALL have a pathway to becoming and competing against the best teams in the world. (Look how far Argentina has come in 3 years of RC!)

Anyway, that's my two cents worth.

And yeah, Trans-tasman rugby comp plz. Introduce S.H. Heiniken cup since NZ are so keen to get Match experience in SA's back yard.

T

Train Without a Station

We generally play 14 now with the odd 15 test season. This seems to be higher than other nations based on how many more tests we play every 4 years.

T

Tip

As I said, remarkably similar.

But it is hardly too much rugby. We start our EOYT in November. RC normally finishes in late August so there is plenty of scope for more Rugby.

T

Train Without a Station

Well we already play more tests than every nation so it kind of is too much rugby

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Competitive footy will turn 500k into 1.5M. I'm not talking world domination, or 1998-2002 success, just the sort of football that commands respect from the top teams. The Reds did it from 2010 to 2013 and packed Lang Park, and I think Cheika can do a similar thing with our mob.

Aside from my ranting about Australian Rugby reinforcing the private school boy stereotype, what also lost the Australian punters' hearts and minds was the lack of discernable plan to make us competitive - we basically played like headless chooks (see Samoa, 2011).

Shithouse gimmicks like those stupid Wallaby ears didn't help matters either. Meow.

T

TOCC

Yeah there's a difference between competitive rugby and winning rugby...

Someone mentioned the state of origin and even how thats comparable to the Bledisloe given QLD's 10year winning reign, well no its not really, since 2003:

Bledisloe Cup
Total Games: 35
NZL: 27 wins (77%)
AUS: 6 wins (17%)
2 draws
Deciders: 3

State of Origin
Total game: 39
QLD 23 wins (58%)
NSW 16 wins (41%)
Deciders: 8

*Deciders, when the 3 match series comes down to the result of the 3rd match.

T

TOCC

2003 seems to be the year that the code jumped the shark.

Bledisloe Cup 2003-2015
2 draws

Bledisloe Cup 1992-2003
Total Games: 25
NZL: 14 (56%)
AUS: 11 (44%)

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

Bledisloe Cup 2003-2015
2 draws

Bledisloe Cup 1992-2003
Good stats, and pretty intrinsically linked to the title of this thread too.

ABs have a better record against everybody though not just us. An amazing improvement once they got the hang of professionalism

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

RunnerGunner

Frank Nicholson (4)
The IRFU just released their annual report. You can't benchmark exactly and whilst the exchange rate is subject to change, the IRFU's 70 million euro turnover is roughly in line with the ARUs. A couple of key differences being obviously;

- the ARU have to fund one more pro team
- the ARU have to fund some serious overseas travel costs
- the ARU are really at the whims of movements in exchange rates
- the ARU also fund Sevens, which the IRFU still pretty much don't

However, the IRFU have stadium costs to service which the ARU don't and also a debt from Munster Rugby which is unlikely to be cleared and is on the long finger. The IRFU also don't enjoy a once in every 12 year revenue boon in the form of a Lions tour which delivered the ARU an extra 45 mill AUD or so.

It's still interesting that the revenues are largely in line though. The IRFU delivered an 8 million profit.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/downloads/IRFU_Annual_Report_2014_15.pdf

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Shit yeah - they'll fill their stadia rain, hail, or shine for the 2-3 matches they get each year, and can charge top dollar for it.

T

Train Without a Station

But their costs are likely higher. I looked at jobs in the UK and based on exchange rate comparable jobs were paying about 60% of my salary.

Then consider player salaries across the board would be higher due to NRL competing for all players, not just marquee players (which France tend to go for).

lou75

Ron Walden (29)

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
'Not proud of the game's financial loss' nor should he be. He pushes the old 'we had to bail out the Rebels' line again. Selling an asset and then continuing to pay the new owner $6 million smacks of incompetence.

OR;
As some one else has eloquently put it - Pissing it up against a wall.

BUT I wouldn't say such a thing, and I'm not as I don't know all the in and outs and reasons. So I will just read & follow until there is more information at hand. Who knows we may even see support of grass roots as that would be an Investment in our game going forward, creating interest, supporters, more players etc.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)

Bledisloe Cup 2003-2015
2 draws

Bledisloe Cup 1992-2003

Really goes to show just how much Gregan's 4 little words stung them. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.