• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The best XV of players from any school

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
ACSC - Welcome to the forum. I'm sure a few old boys will add to that list.

Tom Lawton Super Rugby was one of the great Wallaby players and one of the finest flyhalves our country has produced. From reading about him in Pollard, and Fenton's wonderful book "For The Sake Of The Game", a must read for anybody who wants to know something about pre WWII Oz rugby, he sounds like he was a Bernie Larkham type who would have been brilliant in the rugby of any era.

A lot of forum members will recall the exploits of his grandson Tommie Jr, the hooker, but I sense that posterity will judge granddad as the greater Wallaby.

D

Doc

I think BGS has produced more QLd Reps than anyone and are 2nd (or thereabouts) to Terrace in Wallabies (for qld schools). I may be wrong, but they should be simple to fill. Chapman for one was a far superior Schoolboy to where he is now.

T

tranquility

I think BGS has produced more QLd Reps than anyone and are 2nd (or thereabouts) to Terrace in Wallabies (for qld schools). I may be wrong, but they should be simple to fill. Chapman for one was a far superior Schoolboy to where he is now.

Yeah he is an obvious one. One of the truly under achieving schoolboy captains in recent years.

T

TOCC

St Laurences College Brisbane
1. Dan Crowley
2. Brendan Cannon
3. Damon Kelly
4. Mark Connors
6. Bill McLean
7. Laurie Lawerence
8. Nev Cottrell
9. Cooper Cronk
10. Luke Mclean
11. Peter Hynes
12. William Zillman
13. Doug McLean, Snr.
14. Jack McLean
15. Michael Tabrett

D

Doc

1. Dan Crowley
2. Brendan Cannon
3. Damon Kelly
4. Mark Connors
6. Bill McLean
7. Laurie Lawerence
8. Nev Cottrell
9. Cooper Cronk
10. Luke Mclean
11. Peter Hynes
12. William Zillman
13. Doug McLean, Snr.
14. Jack McLean
15. Michael Tabrett

I'd probably have Mandrusiak in there ahead of McLean or Tabs. While didn't play tests (neither did Tabs) played a bunch of games for QLD, AUS 7s including Comm Games medal and more Brisbane Club premierships than anyone.

Neil Betts ahead of Damon Kelly too.

T

TOCC

which McLean, and yeah mandrusiak was good but tabbrett unfortunately didnt reach his potential due to his untimely death but he did play for QLD, Aus A, Aus U21 and Australian 7's representative..

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
1. Dan Crowley
2. Brendan Cannon
3. Damon Kelly
4. Mark Connors
6. Bill McLean
7. Laurie Lawerence
8. Nev Cottrell
9. Cooper Cronk
10. Luke Mclean
11. Peter Hynes
12. William Zillman
13. Doug McLean, Snr.
14. Jack McLean
15. Michael Tabrett

Laurie Lawrence was from St Laurence's? Stuff the silver, that is Gold.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
1. Dan Crowley
2. Brendan Cannon
3. Damon Kelly
4. Mark Connors
6. Bill McLean
7. Laurie Lawerence
8. Nev Cottrell
9. Cooper Cronk
10. Luke Mclean
11. Peter Hynes
12. William Zillman
13. Doug McLean, Snr.
14. Jack McLean
15. Michael Tabrett

Too many McLeans. You'd have to bring either a toothbrush or a pair of sunglasses.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Dankie Oom Lee for this one, always a very interesting topic for our local Saffers and much debateable. Here is my picks for some of the top SA Schools.

First the two top Springbok producers over the years

Paarl Gimmies: vs Grey Bloem
15. Hennie Daniller Francois Steyn
14. Pieter Rossouw Jaco Reinach
13. Marius Joubert Pieter Muller
12. De Wet Barry Helgard Muller
11. Jean de Villiers Jackie Snyman
10. Louis Koen Ruaan Pienaar
9. Dewaldt Duvenhage Werner Swanepoel
8. Ashley Johnson Morne du Plessis
7. Klein Schalk Burger (Kobus broer) Theuns Stofberg
6. Schalk Burger (Jnr) Heinrich Brussouw
5. Schalk Burger (Snr) Gerrie Britz
4. Kobus Wiese Klein Flippie van der Merwe
3. Balie Swart Jannie du Plessis
2. Morne Visser Bismarck du Plessis
1. Andre Pollard CJ vd Linde

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Dankie Oom Lee for this one, always a very interesting topic for our local Saffers and much debateable. Here is my picks for some of the top SA Schools.

First the two top Springbok producers over the years

Paarl Gimmies: vs Grey Bloem
15. Hennie Daniller Francois Steyn
14. Pieter Rossouw Jaco Reinach
13. Marius Joubert Pieter Muller
12. De Wet Barry Helgard Muller
11. Jean de Villiers Jackie Snyman
10. Louis Koen Ruaan Pienaar
9. Dewaldt Duvenhage Werner Swanepoel
8. Ashley Johnson Morne du Plessis
7. Klein Schalk Burger (Kobus broer) Theuns Stofberg
6. Schalk Burger (Jnr) Heinrich Brussouw
5. Schalk Burger (Snr) Gerrie Britz
4. Kobus Wiese Klein Flippie van der Merwe
3. Balie Swart Jannie du Plessis
2. Morne Visser Bismarck du Plessis
1. Andre Pollard CJ vd Linde

Some notable names in those lineups, PB.

With Paarl and Bloem some distance apart would these schools play each other regularly? What sort of comps do they play - national, or within each city (like GPS, CAS, etc, etc in Australia)?

BTW, Senior, Junior and Klein = a triple Burger!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Some notable names in those lineups, PB.

With Paarl and Bloem some distance apart would these schools play each other regularly? What sort of comps do they play - national, or within each city (like GPS, CAS, etc, etc in Australia)?

The Big schools dont play for a specific Cup or competition. There has been years since Paarl Gimmies and Grey Bloem played its other. Since two years back an ex Paarl Gim Head Master, Basjan Reinard introduce the Wilde Klawer series where the top 14 schools play the others they don play yearly on a home and next year away basis which include all the teams from all age groups aswell as the other winter sports like field hockey and soccer.

Wilde Klawer Series
Wildeklawer_Super_Skole_logo_final_2010b.jpg

This years fixture list
This year the tournament will be hosted at Diamantveld, Kimberley (the previous two was at Paarl Gym and Affies) on 30 April and 2 May 2011.

Fixture list for the first two days:
Day 1

Waterkloof vs Paul Roos Gimnasium
Glenwood vs EG Jansen
Middelburg THS vs Outeniqua
Monument vs Diamantveld
Boland Landbou vs Framesby
Grey College vs Paarl Gimnasium
Paarl Boys’ High vs Affies

Day 2

Affies vs Paarl Gimnasium
Glenwood vs Paul Roos Gimnasium
Boland Landbou vs Diamantveld
Grey College vs Waterkloof
Middelburg THS vs Framesby
Monument vs Outeniqua
EG Jansen vs Paarl Boys’ High

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Klein Schalks broer Kobus also played for WP wing and 2 tests for the Bokke. To confuse you even more Freek Burger the referee is also a Paarl Gimmie. We produced also Wynand Mans and now the up and coming Francois Veldsman is a current teacher here and doing great.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The Big schools dont play for a specific Cup or competition. There has been years since Paarl Gimmies and Grey Bloem played its other. Since two years back an ex Paarl Gim Head Master, Basjan Reinard introduce the Wilde Klawer series where the top 14 schools play the others they don play yearly on a home and next year away basis which include all the teams from all age groups aswell as the other winter sports like field hockey and soccer.

Cheers. Interesting that no title is up for grabs. I suppose each team would look to their W-L record each season instead.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Cheers. Interesting that no title is up for grabs. I suppose each team would look to their W-L record each season instead.
We do have a FNB Top20 rating weekly. I try to update it in the Grassroots section. Over the last decade its always either Grey or Paarl Gim at the top but franchise wise, The Stormers or more specific Western Cape schools dominate our schoolboy rugby. You'll find one maybe two strong one per region but in my area in Boland, Paarl you'll find three , four adding Paul Roos 30 kms from here in Stellenbosch. Our lot played strong ones week in week out because we are closer in a 60 km radius.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Marist Canberra
15. Gavin Mansfield
14. Tony Kennett
13. Joe Roff
12. Matt O'Connor
11. Andrew Williams
10. Baden Stephenson
9. Grant McNay
8. Graham Reed
7. Julian Salvi
6. Andy Dalton
5. Phil Thompson
4. Craig Sweeney
3. Dean Zammit
2. Phil Yuen
1. Brett Foster

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
1. Dan Crowley
2. Brendan Cannon
3. Damon Kelly
4. Mark Connors
6. Bill McLean
7. Laurie Lawerence
8. Nev Cottrell
9. Cooper Cronk
10. Luke Mclean
11. Peter Hynes
12. William Zillman
13. Doug McLean, Snr.
14. Jack McLean
15. Michael Tabrett

TOCC and Doc - did you guys go to St Laurences? If so, when did you graduate?

M

Maroon Army

What about Liam Bibo TOCC?

And not that it matters but Cronk played at 12 for Sunnybank and Lauries when I funnily enough was playing rugby at Sunnybank and Lauries .

Also completely pointless name drop but I played first XV with Ben Mowen in 2002. Champion bloke on and off the footy field.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
What about Liam Bibo TOCC?

And not that it matters but Cronk played at 12 for Sunnybank and Lauries when I funnily enough was playing rugby at Sunnybank and Lauries .

Also completely pointless name drop but I played first XV with Ben Mowen in 2002. Champion bloke on and off the footy field.

Wait wait wait - you played first XV for SLC in 2002? Name please! :)

Edit: Or was that first XV at Villa? Tad confused, haha.