• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Climate Change Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They may reduce the spike when they work but they will not be able to do it 100% of the time. So I am afraid your point isn't valid. They will continue to build plants that provide 100%.

Don't need to ask the Greens about nuclear they are barking mad,--- look at the influence of the left in the ALP and you see the ideological problem.

Peak demand in Australia occurs on the hottest days of the year. Luckily solar is also generating well on those days.

There is ample evidence to suggest that the biggest spikes in demand are already being reduced due to the prevalence of PV systems.

Something like 1 million houses in Australia have one. That's a huge number.

New commercial buildings are being built with them and old ones are increasinly being retrofitted because the payoff period is getting shorter and shorter so it becomes a simple economic decision.

This is happening on an increasing scale. The market and the infrastructure need to adapt to that change because it's only going to happen more, not less.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'm probably going to get solar in anticipation of my bonus arriving this year. Running that pool last summer was awesome up until the fucking bill came in

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Peak demand in Australia occurs on the hottest days of the year. Luckily solar is also generating well on those days.

There is ample evidence to suggest that the biggest spikes in demand are already being reduced due to the prevalence of PV systems.

Something like 1 million houses in Australia have one. That's a huge number.

New commercial buildings are being built with them and old ones are increasinly being retrofitted because the payoff period is getting shorter and shorter so it becomes a simple economic decision.

This is happening on an increasing scale. The market and the infrastructure need to adapt to that change because it's only going to happen more, not less.

You miss my point. The system will have to be built because NO politician since Wran will allow there to be power shortages. Doesn't matter how many new buldings put them in or how many houses have them.

Solar panels one day may be cost effective but not in my lifetime so if its not subsidized it will not happen.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'm probably going to get solar in anticipation of my bonus arriving this year. Running that pool last summer was awesome up until the fucking bill came in

Get a horse attach it to a generator and feed it to walk in circles. Ah! another alternative source of energy.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You miss my point. The system will have to be built because NO politician since Wran will allow there to be power shortages. Doesn't matter how many new buldings put them in or how many houses have them.

Solar panels one day may be cost effective but not in my lifetime so if its not subsidized it will not happen.

There are no more subsidies for home solar systems yet they're still being built.

The system has already been built. I'm not sure what you're talking about. Of course we are going to have adequate electricity infrastructure as a wealthy modern country. As they become less competitive and CO2 emissions get priced back into the market (which will surely happen, I doubt you'd find an economist in the world who would predict against that), any new power stations are unlikely to be coal fired. They are only becoming less competitive.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Get a horse attach it to a generator and feed it to walk in circles. Ah! another alternative source of energy.

Yes well pointed out. But hardly efficient if I can't walk it on my roof, because my backyard is not even big enough for a miniature shetland.

Stop being a tool while you're at it.

What's your solution then? For when we run out of oil and coal and ozone I mean?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
As he said, that won't be during his life.

He's an American Senator then? ;)

As for things occurring during lifetimes - if this Siberian crater ejection turns out to be methane release, don't be surprised if shit starts going bad in the next decade! Watch everyone scramble to spend their money on renewables then.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yes well pointed out. But hardly efficient if I can't walk it on my roof, because my backyard is not even big enough for a miniature shetland.

Stop being a tool while you're at it.

What's your solution then? For when we run out of oil and coal and ozone I mean?

Nuclear to fussion. Spend the money there.

You can convert the coal to oil as the Germans did and the South Africans during the apartide period. Shale oil in Australia will last hundreds of years as will coal.

I have said many times climate change is real, the alternatives work but will not scale up successfully for large cities or industry. Having 20 to 30% is irrelevant to the whole problem as they are NOT solutions.

Sydney is growing as are it's energy needs and it will need more electricity. You dream of carbon pricing but it will be a mirage like it is in China. No one will do that least of all the develpoing nations that will want, no will demand electricity. We won't because it is uncompetative and no government will bring it back and expect to survive in office or get into office.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
He's an American Senator then? ;)

As for things occurring during lifetimes - if this Siberian crater ejection turns out to be methane release, don't be surprised if shit starts going bad in the next decade! Watch everyone scramble to spend their money on renewables then.

If it's methane then it will bring crys from vegans to kill all the cattle and sheep.

The Greens will then advocate we become Vegans.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Nuclear to fussion. Spend the money there.

You can convert the coal to oil as the Germans did and the South Africans during the apartide period. Shale oil in Australia will last hundreds of years as will coal.

I have said many times climate change is real, the alternatives work but will not scale up successfully for large cities or industry. Having 20 to 30% is irrelevant to the whole problem as they are NOT solutions.

Having 20-30% of our electricity generated from renewables is not irrelevant. It has an impact and the number can grow from there. No solution is going to go from zero to 100% overnight and no one seriously expects coal fired power stations to be turned off overnight.

If it's methane then it will bring crys from vegans to kill all the cattle and sheep.

The Greens will then advocate we become Vegans.

This is such a load of crap. You keep making this point about methane from cattle as a distraction from CO2 emissions from burning fossil fuels. Everyone understands that methane is a problem but no one reasonably expects humans to substantially change their livelihoods and diets etc. overnight.

No one eats coal. The economy and the population can far more readily transition away from burning coal to generate electricity than it can to stop drinking milk and eating beef.

You keep making these outlandish comments about The Greens wanting radical policies. It couldn't be further from the truth. If you actually look at Greens policies, about the most radical things they advocate are estate taxes and decriminalisation of drugs.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Having 20-30% of our electricity generated from renewables is not irrelevant. It has an impact and the number can grow from there. No solution is going to go from zero to 100% overnight and no one seriously expects coal fired power stations to be turned off overnight.

This is such a load of crap. You keep making this point about methane from cattle as a distraction from CO2 emissions from burning fossil fuels. Everyone understands that methane is a problem but no one reasonably expects humans to substantially change their livelihoods and diets etc. overnight.

No one eats coal. The economy and the population can far more readily transition away from burning coal to generate electricity than it can to stop drinking milk and eating beef.

You keep making these outlandish comments about The Greens wanting radical policies. It couldn't be further from the truth. If you actually look at Greens policies, about the most radical things they advocate are estate taxes and decriminalisation of drugs.

1. It will never be 100% so we still need a 100% system such as coal, nuclear etc etc.
2. Methane is close to crap but why focus on CO2 if your interested in climate change. It can't be focused on one emission that makes no sense.
3.Why expect reasonable humans to not give electricity to India, China etc.
4.Changing our food is too hard so lets focus on CO2
5.Last election didn't Milne want to close the entire coal industry and forestry industries down. Thats not radical? They are water melons

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
1. It will never be 100%

Once upon a time, people thought the earth revolved around the sun. And computers would never be practical solution for home use. And the iPod would be dead by next Christmas.

The point being that "Never" is an over used word.

I'm not against nuclear in any fashion either.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Once upon a time, people thought the earth revolved around the sun. And computers would never be practical solution for home use. And the iPod would be dead by next Christmas.

The point being that "Never" is an over used word.

I'm not against nuclear in any fashion either.

Never -- perhaps. But if we have a few days with no sun which does happen atleast half a day and the wind doesn't always blow so I feel comfortable. But I do take your point.

Does that mean you agree with the other points?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Never -- perhaps. But if we have a few days with no sun which does happen atleast half a day and the wind doesn't always blow so I feel comfortable. But I do take your point.

Does that mean you agree with the other points?

No one is suggesting that we become 100% reliant on solar and wind right now.

The technology does not yet support that.

More storage options are becoming possible and battery technology is improving rapidly and the price is coming down.

The advancements in this area are massive in just the last few years. That will continue.

It is perfectly possible right now that we could have baseload power provided by natural gas plants which are incredibly more environmentally friendly than coal fired power stations and then have solar and wind providing the rest.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah that is some scary shit, in prospect. Massive dumping of methane into the atmosphere will make the carbon issue look like a picnic.

Question is, can we stop it?

Status
Not open for further replies.