• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Gagr Podcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
What's with the safe-word?

I thought that a "safe-word" was associated with something else.;)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I see in the twitterverse that @Rugby Reg has secured Campo as a podcast guest for the end of March. Great scoop.

I'd like Campo to discuss his kicking skills. He seemed to be able to effortlessly carve up 50 metres plus with his kicks from the hand. Was he self taught, just doing what came to him naturally supported with self learning from countless hours of repetitive trial and error on the training paddock, or did some one coach him in the technical aspects of kicking?
What is his view of overall kicking skills in the Australian game?

Has the game got too structured and templated today, and would a player who just follows where their feet take them be able to flourish in the modern game?

There is no denying that what Wally Meagher and Cyril Towers pioneered at Randwick was revolutionary for its time, and very successful in its execution. The term Running Rugby seems to have gained some mythical status. Many of the rugby illuminati and the media seem are increasingly using the term as a catchall for how to redress what they perceive is wrong with rugby, and it is being viewed by many as the holy grail. In your mind, what is Randwick Running Rugby and can it be effective against today's defences?

If they were still alive, would Wally and Cyril be able to take today's Wallabies to a World Cup victory, and what would they do that is different from that what a team of full time professionally qualified Coaching staff would do?

Rugby Sevens at the Olympics. Everyone has high hopes that Rugby 7's will drive expansion of all rugby worldwide, yet crowds seem to be disappointingly low on the IRB 7's circuit, except for Hong Kong and Twickenham. Do you think rugby 7's olympic presence will lead to a surge in rugby's popularity, and will that growth be felt more in the existing strongholds or in the minnow countries?

Apart from scoring more points than them, what do we need to do to beat the Kiwis to win the Bledisloe back?

You now reside in South Africa and have been there for long enough to get a great understanding for the culture and vibe of the place. Could rugby, with all its complexities and technicalities, ever be replaced in South Africa (or in other African countries) by the more simple variation that is Rugby League?

In the amateur days, there was plenty of talent from Rugby lost to League. Apart from the exceptionally talented, not too many of the high profile rugby players that crossed codes went on to stellar careers in League. The tables have been turned since Rugby went openly professional, and now League is losing plenty of their talented athletes to Rugby. As before only the supremely talented athletes seem to be able to make a switch seamlessly and success is not guarenteed. What are your views on raiding the ranks of other codes to fill up the professional ranks of rugby, and what is your opinion of the counter philosophy that rugby would be better off spending on programmes that increase participation numbers and focus on long lead time junior rugby development programmes?

Little has changed in the junior rugby environment since you were a little tacker running around on the ovals of Canberra. If anything, the concentration of junior rugby players in a small number of private schools in Sydney, Canberra and Brisbane has increased, with almost no rugby played in state schools. Is the situation the same in South Africa, and how is the SARU rolling out programmes to engage the population in the poorer demographic areas?

Jason Campese. Forward or back? Australian Green and Gold, Italian Azure Blue, or South African Green and Gold?

caymantim

Herbert Moran (7)
Disappointing... living on the other side of the world I am always looking forward to the podcast to get me through the drive to work!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Can we secure a referee for an upcoming podcast?

It would be good to get their take on the recent IRB refereeing memo about rolling mauls, high tackles, and the like. It is likely to have an impact on TRC and RWC games.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Can we secure a referee for an upcoming podcast?

It would be good to get their take on the recent IRB refereeing memo about rolling mauls, high tackles, and the like. It is likely to have an impact on TRC and RWC games.

Jaco Peyper would be a good guy to get on the podcast and he's likely to be in the top tier of referees for the RWC.

Probably difficult to do, but he'll be in NZ or Aus for the Rugby Championships won't he?

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Hi, wanted to say thanks for the podcast.
I almost fell over on my walk this afternoon when the 'Mon-cock' name was suggested for the new back-row combo.
Great recovery with the 'LBGT' suggestion as well.
Brilliant stuff - thanks for doing it.
A true laugh out loud moment.......and that's a phrase I never use
Well done guys.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
He
Jaco Peyper would be a good guy to get on the podcast and he's likely to be in the top tier of referees for the RWC.

Probably difficult to do, but he'll be in NZ or Aus for the Rugby Championships won't he?
I know that Reddit tried to get him to do an AMA and the SARU don't approve of them doing stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.