• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Haka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Couple of things. Different cultures have different ways they express themselves and motivates themselves and those around them.

SA rely on certain individuals to pump us up and can make them play out of their skins or picked them up. Joost vd Westhuizen was such a person and I have seen how he inspired and pumped up a mediocre Bulls side in a CC final to beat a star filled WP side.

NZ have the Haka where Australia put 100 000 Aussies into a stadium and a dude with a guitar singing a song about a sheep thieve who committed suicide. England have their singing the swing high swing low, Ireland got their upbeat anthem Call of Ireland, the Welsh have the English and France have that poor performing side which everyone writes who outplay any team on the planet.

Aussies singing Waltzing Matilda might seem as silly to others who is not a Aussie but then one do not know why or the meaning behind because you do not know their culture or live and expereince their culture. So you just don't get it.
Same with the Haka.
Same with SA playing Leon Schuster songs in the 95 final. But hwat really gave SA believee in 95 was Joost tackle on Jonah.
George Gregan also had that effect on other players around him and gave them believe.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Aussies singing Waltzing Matilda might seem as silly to others who is not a Aussie but then one do not know why or the meaning behind because you do not know their culture or live and expereince their culture. So you just don't get it.
Same with the Haka.
Same with SA playing Leon Schuster songs in the 95 final. But hwat really gave SA believee in 95 was Joost tackle on Jonah.
George Gregan also had that effect on other players around him and gave them believe.

Waltzing matilda has actually been banned by the IRB. It cannot be played in stadiums anymore.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
I also think that as a reply to the haka (especially the one where they motion to cut off our heads), Horwill should reveal a hidden stuffed kiwi and chop off its head whilst the Wallabies dance around him in an Aboriginal Tribal Dance.

This would satisfy me in terms of humour and as a reply to what is now an overused war dance.

I do believe France were fined for disrespecting the haka in the 2011 final as well.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
They weren't actually fined for 'direspecting the haka' but for crossing the halfway line. I don 't think Wales were fined for their challenge a few years back with the big stare down.

I don't care what other teams do or if they tell the ABs they can't do it. Wales also tried that a few years ago as well and the ABs just did it in the changing room.

Pretty disappointed crowd though if I remember correctly...

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
I always thought that Telstra song was a good firing up anthem - even dare I say it, better than Girt By Sea????

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Waltzing matilda has actually been banned by the IRB. It cannot be played in stadiums anymore.
Bollocks it has been banned by IRB, geez man where do you come up with that from?? IRB said tests in World Cup couldn't be held up while it was sung, there was never a ban on it being sung!!! You read to many half baked journalists lewisr!!!

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Lewis are you serious? That I did not know. Why did the IRB ban it? Surely they have no say over the constitution of countries and decide what is part of traditions and whats not?

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
They weren't actually fined for 'direspecting the haka' but for crossing the halfway line. I don 't think Wales were fined for their challenge a few years back with the big stare down.

I don't care what other teams do or if they tell the ABs they can't do it. Wales also tried that a few years ago as well and the ABs just did it in the changing room.

Pretty disappointed crowd though if I remember correctly.

Yeah IIRC they booed and booed. The NH journalists may have celebrated but that was the end of that idea.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Waltzing Matilda was banned for use at the 2003 RWC by the IRB because it is just a song which is not the anthem and doesn't have the same traditional and cultural heritage of the haka performed by the All Blacks and some of the PI nations.

Regardless of whether or not Waltzing Matilda is allowed now at non RWC matches, I'm quite happy to not see it performed. I always found it a bit kitsch.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Waltzing Matilda was banned for use at the 2003 RWC by the IRB because it is just a song which is not the anthem and doesn't have the same traditional and cultural heritage of the haka performed by the All Blacks and some of the PI nations.

Regardless of whether or not Waltzing Matilda is allowed now at non RWC matches, I'm quite happy to not see it performed. I always found it a bit kitsch.

Agreed, sing the Anthem and get on with it. If the home crowd want to sing it.........fine but we shouldn't need John Williamson (bless him) out there trying to pump the team up.

As far as the Haka...respect to the Kiwis but I'm over it.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
I think the IRB should have lessons in promoting. Lets see.
WC in Australia.
Final between England and Australia a song about a man who would rather die than submit to authority.

Would have been fitting for the final. I can only think it’s the price you pay for centuries of empire-building and world domination

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I remeber Wallabies winning a test in Chch a few years back where Wallabie's supporters started singing Waltzing Matilda off their own bat, it was great, remeber Kearnsie saying how much the players loved it, and as I recall most of the crowd seemed to enjoy it too. That is when Waltzing Matilda is good, just so the players know their supporters are there, any Aussie song would do it!! Like the Welsh crowd breaking out with Bread of heaven etc etc!! I know Colin Meads always reckoned it was worth extra points to Welsh at Cardiff Arms Park, and new players from visiting teams found it quite eerie!!

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I remeber Wallabies winning a test in Chch a few years back where Wallabie's supporters started singing Waltzing Matilda off their own bat, it was great, remeber Kearnsie saying how much the players loved it, and as I recall most of the crowd seemed to enjoy it too. That is when Waltzing Matilda is good, just so the players know their supporters are there, any Aussie song would do it!! Like the Welsh crowd breaking out with Bread of heaven etc etc!! I know Colin Meads always reckoned it was worth extra points to Welsh at Cardiff Arms Park, and new players from visiting teams found it quite eerie!!

Yup.......needs to be an organic kind of thing, not a stage managed production

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
So who's going on Saturday night & what do we have to do to get Waltzing Matilda pumping through the PA system??

I reckon it'd be a huge boost to the boys' confidence for the haka to finish up then the whole crowd starts belting out with "Once a Jolly Swagman...."

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
The Poms don't need their songs played over the PA system. Aussies need to be more spontaneous.......c'mon boys, you know you can do it.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
A few times during the Brisbane Lions games the PA system fairly discreetly would play a few notes of a tune then stop. It was the 'once a jolly swagman' but of the tune. It was very short and I guess they were hoping the crowd would pick up on it. Which it nearly did at one stage!

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
Long before my wife became a rugby fan she always watched the Haka before disappearing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.