• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Ideal NSW Schools Comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
^^^^ A school which certainly should be added to this list is St Edwards College, has produced a number of boys in previous years who have shone at both schoolboy or senior level.
There appears to be no urgent push to play rugby (or a competition to participate in) and a number of these boys ended up at other schools in their senior years -
In recent years some of the representative players include - Declan O'Donahue, James Wilkinson, Kirt Anthony, Nathan Gittoes, Connor Watson , Joe Williams , Max Stewart

Indeed, the Central Coast as a whole should be a critical development area. I believe St.Edwards is an Independent Catholic Boys school of about 900 boys Yrs 7-12. It should therefore serve as the Main feeder of junior development. Central Coast Grammar is another school, but already plays Rugby. However, they are in DIV 2 ISA and only field about one team per age group. Should their student numbers grow they and St.Edwards would be welcome additions to ISA DIV 1. Or even CAS

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There are isolated pockets of excellence in the wider Central Coast, Newcastle and Hunter Region that would benefit from being involved in more regular competitive rugby games.

Harv

Herbert Moran (7)
Forgive my ignorance about the details (I'm a long way away) but from what I've picked up in these forum posts, it seems the great developmental move made by the schoolboy rugby powers is for the GPS schools, rather than play two rounds against their traditional counterparts in competition, will play trials against the Associated Schools and restrict the GPS comp to one round. I'm guessing that's with a view to morphing the two associations in the future. Is that an accurate reading? So, does that mean ISA schools which commonly play trials against both GPS and CAS schools, will be unable to do so next year? I thought the obvious move from a rugby standpoint (and in the interests of the schoolboy elites joining the 21st century, and maybe saving the game from complete eradication amongst kids whose parents don't have deep pockets for school fees- or choose to send their kids to a diverse school) would be to develop opportunities for the big schools to play "different" opposition more often -- leading CHS schools, perhaps, or regional/ bush schools which might "qualify" through a qualifying comp to face the big swinging dicks. Sure, the traditional fixtures (First XV through to Sixth XV etc) would be hard to fill against schools with a shallow pool, but imagine if Joeys deigned to meet Westfields in first XV and 16a on a diverse day of rugby at Hunters Hill that featured other Joeys teams going up against a strong ISA outfit ... or maybe a rising school like St Edwards qualifies to play a few fixtures against Waverley? From afar, at least, it looks as though the rugby authorities have given up the ghost on CHS and bush schools which is just insane. A variation on the Waratah Shield involving a diverse bunch of schools -- even clubs, shock horror -- against the traditional powers is not only possible, it's sensible and perhaps essential. It doesn't ruin the rah-rah tradition, the GPS comp will still be the gold standard, but rather than setting up relatively meaningless "trials" against equally well heeled institutions, isn't it time for the leather patches to understand their precious boys (and in the future the rugby girls') rugby education and life experience might be well served by testing themselves against the talented people who will likely kick their entitled arses a few years down the track?

Status
Not open for further replies.