• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The impending Hooper vs Pocock Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I'd actually have Gill in front of Pocock ATM.

As another thread McMahon is really pushing for the backrow reserve spot and maybe even a starting spot in front of Fardy. His defensive work and carrying ability is outstanding.

No fucken way.

He's not big enough simple as that. It doesn't matter how good he is, he's got the body of a 7, so he either plays so well you cant NOT pick him at 7, or he fills in the squad.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Because there was a time when Pocock's name was being mention in the same breath as McCaw's - a position Gill has never been in.

Yes, it was 2yrs ago but the guy was MoM in his first game back this year and has every chane, if not likelihood of soing again.

More like 4 and 5 years ago. Pretty significant difference. I don't remember him being MoM that night, he got a like 1 or 2 pilfers? The Brumbies dominated with the ball that night.

B

Bobby Sands

Gee it's funny all this Gill V Hooper stuff. Colby has seemingly lost touch in the conversation. They are all contemporaries.

I personally think Liam will be the long-term seven, but that this RWC might be too much for him to overcome given the current ranking of players.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Because there was a time when Pocock's name was being mention in the same breath as McCaw's - a position Gill has never been in.

Yes, it was 2yrs ago but the guy was MoM in his first game back this year and has every chane, if not likelihood of soing again.

He got M
I'd put money on that horse over someone who has done nothing Wallany jersey, for whatever reason everyday of the week

He only got MOTM for sentimental reasons - I think most of the Brums would have thought so as well

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
He only got MOTM for sentimental reasons - I think most of the Brums would have thought so as well

I can accept there might have been an element of sentimentality attached to the award, but not only. He had a very good game in a team that performed good across the board. Regardless, the award was well deserved.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Ah fuck, I wish we could have some indication of Pocock's playing ability. It'd be really swell if the next few hours he could play a game at starting 7, so we could see how he goes and end all this conjecture. If only!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm thinking that it could also be considered is a Mandelbrot Set. Either that or The Hotel California.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I missed the first 20 minutes of the Brumbies game but I think Gill wins this round. Pocock good but disadvantaged by having other good players around him.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I thought Pocock was outstanding. I got the impression that he is trying to show Cheika that he can be just as useful with ball in hand as Hooper. Ran the ball really well, hit the line hard and got at least 1 superb line-break.
As always worked very hard at the ruck, and got a few pilfers. Also did a great job running the show for the Brumbies at the back of the maul. Excellent performance.

Not quite as good as Gill though, who probably put in the best performance from any Reds player this season.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I missed the first 20 minutes of the Brumbies game but I think Gill wins this round. Pocock good but disadvantaged by having other good players around him.

I'd say Gill also benefited from being in a team that was defending for the majority of the game. 7s like Gill and Pocock tend to stand out more when their team is defending under pressure.

Gills' defensive work was the most impressive part of his performance. Pocock didn't really get a chance to shine in that area (given that the brumbies were rarely under pressure) but still managed a few steals on defence

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I thought Pocock was outstanding. I got the impression that he is trying to show Cheika that he can be just as useful with ball in hand as Hooper. Ran the ball really well, hit the line hard and got at least 1 superb line-break.
As always worked very hard at the ruck, and got a few pilfers. Also did a great job running the show for the Brumbies at the back of the maul. Excellent performance.

Not quite as good as Gill though, who probably put in the best performance from any Reds player this season.

Well that probably ain't saying much... But as you said they both had pretty good games.

Status
Not open for further replies.