• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The impending Hooper vs Pocock Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Folau had the same back. As Kearns said great slight to see backs like that.
Folau's happened when he was making a break, bloke had a hold of his jersey and it ripped off in his hand as Folau stepped past.. It happened right in front of me, I guess it could have already been ripped prior to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Now I am not an Aussie but I feel that if Pocock can get some sort of form together and stay injury free (fingers crossed) then he is likely to get that Wallaby 7 jersey, and maybe even captain. He comes across as a great role model and a great guy, both on and off the field. Which isn't something that all players manage. Most national teams seem to have a few dicks these day, so more people like Pocock would be great to see in the sport.

Shelts - everyone outside of Australia sees what a huge piece to the puzzle a fit Pocock is for the Wallabies. As good as Hooper is, I just don't think he carries that same fear factor as Pocock does.

As an AB fan, I'm always fairly confident that the ABs can limit Hoopers overall impact on a game. Pocock is a completely different story - you get the feeling that he has the ability to simply take over any given game in a way that few players on a team sport can do a la a McCaw or a Jordan or a Jarryd Hayne.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Shelts - everyone outside of Australia sees what a huge piece to the puzzle a fit Pocock is for the Wallabies. As good as Hooper is, I just don't think he carries that same fear factor as Pocock does.

As an AB fan, I'm always fairly confident that the ABs can limit Hoopers overall impact on a game. Pocock is a completely different story - you get the feeling that he has the ability to simply take over any given game in a way that few players on a team sport can do a la a McCaw or a Jordan or a Jarryd Hayne.

His form needs to be a lot better than it currently is to be back in that sort of consideration.

Pocock played 35 minutes against the Tahs and had one excellent pilfer but apart from that did very little.

He was prominent in his linking game between the forwards and the backs but both the Brumbies forwards and backs struggled to gain the impetus they needed during this time.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
His form needs to be a lot better than it currently is to be back in that sort of consideration.

Pocock played 35 minutes against the Tahs and had one excellent pilfer but apart from that did very little.

He was prominent in his linking game between the forwards and the backs but both the Brumbies forwards and backs struggled to gain the impetus they needed during this time.

MoM in the first game this year, so long as he stays un-injured, I think his form will be up there.

I'd much rather face a Wallabies with Hooper than Pocock.

**Now I've said that, we'll probably play Australia in the RWC semi and Hooper will score the winning try with an amazing individual effort.....LOL

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I just want Pocock to stay on the paddock long enough to seriously apply the blowtorch to the other contenders. If he's fit, he'll be in the squad and maybe even starting, depending on the tactics of the day.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

I agree with this. Still early days but I think the signs are there that Pocock can be just as good as he used too. Already a decent pilfer against the Tahs.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

Let's face it, Ritchie McCaw is the benchmark test 7. I have yet to see Hooper trouble Ritchie. Pocock on the other hand is a different story. I think it is on the record that the opponents Ritchie respects the most are Dusitour and Pocock.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Let's face it, Ritchie McCaw is the benchmark test 7. I have yet to see Hooper trouble Ritchie. Pocock on the other hand is a different story. I think it is on the record that the opponents Ritchie respects the most are Dusitour and Pocock.

What does that matter though? Rugby isn't a one on one sport.

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)

Pocock is one dimensional, so he pilfers and tackles - Hodgson and Gill too quite effective but without the muscle, and Pocock as a link man operates at a rudimentary level - compared to Hooper - and all of the aforementioned lack sound captain-type decisionmaking (organising/rallying team, onfield opportunities, relationship with whistle), to which I would say Hodgson prolly has the best experience.

While tis too early to say, I havent seen anything from Pocock, Hodgson, or Gill to challenge Hooper on what he has done in the last two years to date, to warrant any reasonable challenge for that starting openside jersey.

Its fair to say, Hooper role in the Tahs premiership, esp as fill-in capt, may have earned him stars and stripes with Cheika.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

The man some consider the greatest rugby player ever, his opinion on who is a great player doesn't matter?

Joe Dumas will always be considered one of the best defensive NBA players ever to me because he's the one guy Jordan always said was the hardest to play.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
The man some consider the greatest rugby player ever, his opinion on who is a great player doesn't matter?

Joe Dumas will always be considered one of the best defensive NBA players ever to me because he's the one guy Jordan always said was the hardest to play.

Not especially. It's interesting, but not particularly important. We all knew already that Pocock was a great player four years ago. A breakdown and defensive monster when the game and law interpretations were geared towards assisting that type of flanker.

He's been injured for the last two years, a timespan that's seen Hooper become arguably the best player in Australia. So while Pocock might have been that guy three or four years ago, he isn't right now. Can he be again? Quite probably.

But even if he does come back to full form in the next over the next few months it means you need to pick someone in the backrow who can get across the advantage on a reasonable basis - probably Higginbotham, a player the h8ers h8 almost as much as they do Hooper.

On balance, I'm happy with Hooper until Pocock shows such exceptional form that he demands inclusion.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Not especially. It's interesting, but not particularly important. We all knew already that Pocock was a great player four years ago. A breakdown and defensive monster when the game and law interpretations were geared towards assisting that type of flanker.

He's been injured for the last two years, a timespan that's seen Hooper become arguably the best player in Australia. So while Pocock might have been that guy three or four years ago, he isn't right now. Can he be again? Quite probably.

But even if he does come back to full form in the next over the next few months it means you need to pick someone in the backrow who can get across the advantage on a reasonable basis - probably Higginbotham, a player the h8ers h8 almost as much as they do Hooper.

On balance, I'm happy with Hooper until Pocock shows such exceptional form that he demands inclusion.

How many loosies were beasts at the last RWC and aren't today due to the law changes?

Hooper is nowhere near the game changer that Pocock was at the highest level. And I reckon the Wallaby forward pack is more in need of a hard man than a line-breaker. I reckon that Pocock is more than adequate at grinding the hard yards getting across the advantage line.

I'm sure I wouldn't be the only non-Wallaby fan who would prefer to see Hooper/Higgers in a starting line-up rather than Pocock/whoever's-next-in-line in the back-row.

Status
Not open for further replies.