• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The impending Hooper vs Pocock Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Not to detract from the premise of the thread, but has McCalman played at 6 - for the Force or Wallabies - or has he exclusively played at 8? Could be a handy option at blindside if Palu is fit.

I reckon TGC take his pick of Fardy, Dennis, Jones for BSF depending on his first-choice OSF i.e. Fardy/Dennis with Hooper; Jones/McCalman (if he is an option) with Pocock.

Otherwise I'll let you get back to the proverbial ferrari or lamborghini debate.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Don't think so, I think he has for Uni however. McCalman is ahead of Higginbotham/McMahon imo. If Palu/Fardy aren't fit, he's into the starting lineup at 6 or 8.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
McCalman has played a load of 6, but he plays tighter than the rest, so he wouldn't work as well if Palu was 8. With a Palu\McCalman nexus a 8, it fits well to have a Fardy\Higgers option at 6 who can play wider/freer roles.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If everyone is fit, I'd almost consider a back 5 in the forward pack of:

4. Fardy
5. Simmons/Skelton
6. McCalman
7. Hooper
8. Palu

19. Simmons/Skelton
20. Pocock

McCalman is slated to play 80 minutes. He moves to number 8 when Palu comes off and is replaced by Pocock who plays 6.

I thought one of the best points in Bob Dwyer's piece about selecting a RWC squad was about impact vs workrate and that he'd always take someone who scores a couple more points out of 10 for impact over a couple of points of workrate with the premise that the workrate will be filled elsewhere.

The two Achilles' heels of the Wallabies forwards are the scrum and the physical contest. Both are critically important to put us in a position to win. I thought that generally we've been much better in the physical contest than we were through much of the Deans era but the scrum has got worse. Our scrum will hopefully improve with Skelton's scrummaging improving and finding a reserve THP that is stronger at scrum time. I tend to think a pack that is high on impact will put us in a better position to win the big games.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
If everyone is fit, I'd almost consider a back 5 in the forward pack of:

4. Fardy
5. Simmons/Skelton
6. McCalman
7. Hooper
8. Palu

19. Simmons/Skelton
20. Pocock

McCalman is slated to play 80 minutes. He moves to number 8 when Palu comes off and is replaced by Pocock who plays 6.

I thought one of the best points in Bob Dwyer's piece about selecting a RWC squad was about impact vs workrate and that he'd always take someone who scores a couple more points out of 10 for impact over a couple of points of workrate with the premise that the workrate will be filled elsewhere.

The two Achilles' heels of the Wallabies forwards are the scrum and the physical contest. Both are critically important to put us in a position to win. I thought that generally we've been much better in the physical contest than we were through much of the Deans era but the scrum has got worse. Our scrum will hopefully improve with Skelton's scrummaging improving and finding a reserve THP that is stronger at scrum time. I tend to think a pack that is high on impact will put us in a better position to win the big games.

Putting Fardy at lock won't help the scrum woes. I really liked Bob's article and the points you raised. Although I think McCalman is more workrate then impact, at least at Test level. Whilst he isn't on the top of his game at the moment I think Higgers could potentially have more impact.

I'd actually go with:
4. Skelton - impact
5. Simmons - workrate
6. Fardy - impact/workout - all rounder really
7. Hooper - workrate
8. Palu - impact

Higgers bench.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
It's funny when you read all these comments like "Pocock was only good when the laws at the breakdown were different", "He isn't effective anymore because its harder to make turnovers now." etc.

Then he comes back and dominates the breakdown and makes countless turnovers.

IMO, if Pocock can stay fit and that is a still a big question mark then he's starting against the AB, England, SA.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I have not followed this thread at all, so forgive me for making an observation that might have been made.

Pocock is certainly the master of the turnover, but Hooper is far better as a ball runner - he can break a game wide open, in fact, against just about any defense. Pocock, by contrast, is pretty pedestrian with ball in hand. Hooper is pretty good at the breakdown, obviously not as good as Pocock.

So it seems to me that the choice between them would come down to the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition. (Other factors as well, of course - particularly form and fitness).

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I have not followed this thread at all, so forgive me for making an observation that might have been made.

Pocock is certainly the master of the turnover, but Hooper is far better as a ball runner - he can break a game wide open, in fact, against just about any defense. Pocock, by contrast, is pretty pedestrian with ball in hand. Hooper is pretty good at the breakdown, obviously not as good as Pocock.

So it seems to me that the choice between them would come down to the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition. (Other factors as well, of course - particularly form and fitness).
But Hoopers ball running is going to be nullified somewhat due to the nature of RWC games. I'd also disagree that he is "pretty good" at the breakdown. I'd say barely adequate for an Australian starting 7.

Though I shudder to think when we do make breaks who will be there to support the ball runner if Hoopers not in the team. He's the only one who works as hard as the AB's do off the ball, and that includes our backs. It's one area we are weak and seem to never look to address.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Im still backing G.Smith to sign for a 3 week contract with the Brumbies next year so he can take the 7 jersey ;)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's funny when you read all these comments like "Pocock was only good when the laws at the breakdown were different", "He isn't effective anymore because its harder to make turnovers now." etc.

My point was always he has done nothing this year, everyone was just basing how good he was on 4-5 years ago. He had an awesome game last night and another one of those will show he's still got it. This thread has a long way to go..

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
My point was always he has done nothing this year, everyone was just basing how good he was on 4-5 years ago. He had an awesome game last night and another one of those will show he's still got it. This thread has a long way to go..

Yes to be fair, Pocock needs to continue his form for the remainder of the season. And more importantly stay injury free.

But I think the value of his breakdown work was highlighted last game. Something I think the wallabies need more-so then a ball-running forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.