• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The impending Hooper vs Pocock Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
People certainly like to put down pococks ball running as i think it is some attempt at validating their Hooper Love. Poey was a weapon on defence and was a damn good ball runner, the difference is that poey generally plays alot tighter than hooper so he finds less space.

I dont know if he will ever get back to being this good, but if he does, Hooper wont really have any advantages over Poey. Why cant we have both though? in the Wallabies Fardy plays Pococks role. why not just keep Hooper at 7, and put poey at 6?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
People certainly like to put down pococks ball running as i think it is some attempt at validating their Hooper Love. Poey was a weapon on defence and was a damn good ball runner, the difference is that poey generally plays alot tighter than hooper so he finds less space.

Hooper is a better ball runner than Pocock, it's got nothing to do with 'Hooper love'.

Hooper makes breaks close to the ruck, he makes them out wide too. For some reason the bloke is just very good at breaking tackles, wherever he is.

Last night was a massive step forward for DP, and if he can keep it up he'll be my pick to start at 7. A long way to go yet, though.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
Hooper is a better ball runner, but comments such as the one above saying Pococks ball running is a bit pedestrian is what i was referring to. The problem is Pocock also makes breaks close to the ruck and out wide, he almost always gets over the advantage line just like hooper, is as good at defending as Hooper, if not slightly more dominant. This is once again based on his form before injury but it looks like he might be getting back to that form.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Yes and it's the same as saying Hooper's breakdown game is nonexistent. He still tops pilfer stats regularly.

It's obviously going to come down to what the Wallabies need the most. In a RWC, probably a stronger fetcher but let's not forget Hooper has played every Test since the start of 2012 and only been on the bench for 5 or 6 of them. We don't know what it's like without him there yet. He's our best ball carrier and probably the best ball carrying forward in the world. He was directly responsible for two Phipps tries against the Highlanders and Blues that no other forward could've scored.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
People certainly like to put down pococks ball running as i think it is some attempt at validating their Hooper Love. Poey was a weapon on defence and was a damn good ball runner.

Rubbish. I do not love any particular player, I was putting forward my genuine, unvarnished, opinion.

Pocock is a trundler in attack.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Hooper is/was great over the ball at the Brumbies.. So let's not say adequate.. His good if that's his focus.. David Pocock good.. Well who is? I really hope Chekia unleashes one each half.. Go out there and prove who's better..

Sent from my D6503 using Forum Fiend v1.3.1.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Personally ,I wonder if Cheika would drop Hooper, he obviously would have a lot of brownie points for helping get Cheika the job;), and would the NSW players be happy playing under Moore as captain?? Just some points to ponder I think.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Personally ,I wonder if Cheika would drop Hooper, he obviously would have a lot of brownie points for helping get Cheika the job;), and would the NSW players be happy playing under Moore as captain?? Just some points to ponder I think.

do not feed the troll.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Not a troll. The bloke puts excellent input into this forum regularly and you call him a troll because he says something that might cause controversy?

Some people just can't handle when the NSW centric habits in Australian Rugby get called into question.
He isn't a troll. But that post is. So Cheika "owes" Hooper for his job? And NSW players wiill boycott Moore? Yeah, OK.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
He isn't a troll. But that post is. So Cheika "owes" Hooper for his job? And NSW players wiill boycott Moore? Yeah, OK.

I think the little face thingy (whatever they are called) was a good hint at the comment may have been tongue in cheek. The blokes record in this place should earn him the benefit of the doubt.

That is pretty much my view on the matter.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Pocock is already ahead of Hooper based on what they have shown so far this year.

Again, Hooper has never been able to dominate other Test teams the way Pocock has. The whole back row should be built around him if you're looking balance.

It's like having Michael Jordan in your team but starting Dominique Wilkins cos you like his dunks better and he's an easier guy to fit into your starting line-up.

It's not like the Wallaby pack is filled with hard men that have reputations for dominating other packs.You finally get the one guy who fills that role fit and healthy and has a proven track record and you go with the guy who makes more line-breaks.

Leave that stuff for the backs and keep the tough guy I say. But I'll be quite happy not to see him there come any AB Tests as well.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
I'd like to see Pocock get a run in the midyear tests, but I don't see Cheika doing this - not because of perceived NSW bias, but I just don't see him creating too many variables so close to RWC. My employment does not rest on the fortunes of our test team, so I'll say that I'd prefer Pocock because he performs his primary role In the engine room well, though I think either player and even Gill would serve us well.
Of far more concern to me is our second row, and 10, 12, and 13.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Nope I reckon the NSW players will protest if Moore is made captain

The players do not pick the captain. Protesting is a bit lame. The selectors will choose the squad, the team and then the captain. Then they should all get on with it. Hooper has done an admirable job in testing times and he will most likely be chosen again at some point but there will be a couple of more experienced candidates in the squad.
I would say Moore will be the captain as there is no question about his position in the starting side if fit. If Poey continues his successful comeback then he and Hooper will be in a tussle for the starting role week in and out. If they are both there no doubt they will be part of the leadership group along with Moore.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ok,Ok I was saying it all tongue in cheek about Hooper being owed, FFS, I admit as a reasonable neutral to being disappointed in the extreme at what happened with McKenzie because rightly or wrongly I had the impression that Link was shafted, and never got the support I think any captain should give his coach!
But I was serious on the Moore issue, once again personal opinion (why we come on here I thought) is,he would be the type of person that would make a very good captain, and I am not sure NSW players would be happy to play under him. And I not saying they would boycott him, but without players support captains, or coaches don't last long, or tend to be successful! Mainly because he did right thing when players all had a bender in NH 18 months ago! I do tend to think the captaincy will have a bearing on who wins the 7 jersey for Wallabies.
OK, I'll also add I think Pocock is probably a better 7, but as a kiwi will be quite happy to see him overlooked!

Reactions: BDA

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Pocock is already ahead of Hooper based on what they have shown so far this year.

Again, Hooper has never been able to dominate other Test teams the way Pocock has. The whole back row should be built around him if you're looking balance.

I think your memories of Pocock are slightly tinted.

Hooper HAS dominated at Test level. He's won 'player of the year' awards from numerous places, including GGR and the John Eales medal. I'm not sure how else you can measure test level performance.

Pocock was a good player, but it wasn't like we were destroying teams with him there, winning Bledisloes and shit. He had a good World Cup, but I wouldn't say he was any more dominant than Hooper was- they both have won the GGR player of the year, they have both won the John Eales medal.

Status
Not open for further replies.