• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The impending Hooper vs Pocock Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
One thing it highlights for me is, that in terms of actual pilfering (by that I mean, physically turning the ball over and not just earning a penalty), Smith and Pocock are in a class all of their own in Australia. So damn strong.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If we are going to play that game, TPN and Cummins have the best winning record of players who've played a decent amount in the last 5 years at >75%.

They wouldn't be picked over their alternatives though would they?

I think this is a good point.

We're talking about a substantial period of time where there was significant changes both in the form of players who featured throughout and the players involved.

There's no doubt Pocock was a hugely influential player during that period but so were other players. It's shortsighted to suggest that our winning record is purely down to a single player.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
If we are going to play that game, TPN and Cummins have the best winning record of players who've played a decent amount in the last 5 years at >75%.

They wouldn't be picked over their alternatives though would they?

They weren't picked over their alternatives a lot anyway were they? Why would that change?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I think this is a good point.

We're talking about a substantial period of time where there was significant changes both in the form of players who featured throughout and the players involved.

There's no doubt Pocock was a hugely influential player during that period but so were other players. It's shortsighted to suggest that our winning record is purely down to a single player.

There is at least one game where a huge amount of guys here basically said that Pocock damn-near won the game by himself. Not some game against a minnow or an end-of-tour or exhibition game either. A RWC QF.

I haven't seen any Wallaby game since where you guys have been so strong in advocating Hooper's influence on a result.

No doubt that there are a lot of factors contributing to those wins in the Pocock Mark I era but hell - he's a pretty huge factor.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Cully just ignored the type of rugby Cheika played on the EOYT. We dominated possession and Ireland and England didn't starve us off the ball. England only won off the back of a dominant scrum it was that simple. Pocock doesn't change that at all.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There is at least one game where a huge amount of guys here basically said that Pocock damn-near won the game by himself. Not some game against a minnow or an end-of-tour or exhibition game either. A RWC QF.

I haven't seen any Wallaby game since where you guys have been so strong in advocating Hooper's influence on a result.

No doubt that there are a lot of factors contributing to those wins in the Pocock Mark I era but hell - he's a pretty huge factor.

That's kind of the point. Taking one game where I also agree Pocock was by far the most influential player and then using that as the reason why he needs to be in the team now is equally as flawed as taking a higher winning percentage and attributing that to a single player (when you could run the same argument involving other players).

The Wallabies might be a better team in 2015 with Pocock starting at 7 and maybe we'll find that out later this year but the logic of attributing results in a team sport to a single player is incredibly flawed.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Great game, but also highlights the rule changes since then

Clear release
Going beyond the ball and allowing the cleanout to help you scrag to the ball
The rules have changed but is it really that different? In the past three weeks we've seen both Pocock and Gill dominate the breakdown, getting multiple turnovers in much the same manner as the 2011 qf, so it looks like there's just as much room for a pilfering 7 in todays game.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And how did those two teams go? What about the fact that Hooper's ball running is directly leading to tries? Who says a pilfer is better than his running game?

Are we just ignoring the fact that Hooper scored 2 tries against the All Blacks in Eden Park last year? Because Pocock would not have scored either of those and whilst he might've gotten more pilfers, if we do nothing with that ball what's the point.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Great game, but also highlights the rule changes since then

Clear release
Going beyond the ball and allowing the cleanout to help you scrag to the ball

Isn't reffed at all consistently, maybe clear release is but the others never.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Cully just ignored the type of rugby Cheika played on the EOYT. We dominated possession and Ireland and England didn't starve us off the ball. England only won off the back of a dominant scrum it was that simple. Pocock doesn't change that at all.

He helps. He actually pushes in a scrum and as someone here mentioned when did you or anyone else say they saw Pocock have a bad test match?BUT last season a lot of people were saying Hooper was having bad test matches.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
That's kind of the point. Taking one game where I also agree Pocock was by far the most influential player and then using that as the reason why he needs to be in the team now is equally as flawed as taking a higher winning percentage and attributing that to a single player (when you could run the same argument involving other players).

The Wallabies might be a better team in 2015 with Pocock starting at 7 and maybe we'll find that out later this year but the logic of attributing results in a team sport to a single player is incredibly flawed.

McCaw might disagree. ;)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He helps. He actually pushes in a scrum and as someone here mentioned when did you or anyone else say they saw Pocock have a bad test match?BUT last season a lot of people were saying Hooper was having bad test matches.

First off you're kidding if you think Pocock's scrummaging compared to Hooper's at openside is going to make a significant difference. Secondly, that's funny because Hooper topped the GAGR for best player of the year. Again.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
First off you're kidding if you think Pocock's scrummaging compared to Hooper's at openside is going to make a significant difference. Secondly, that's funny because Hooper topped the GAGR for best player of the year. Again.

Didn't Fardy win it in 2013 and Slipper last year?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yes? Hooper won in 2012 and 2014 (he tied with Slipper, not sure why GAGR gave it to Slipper but that's another story).

Status
Not open for further replies.