• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Israel Folau saga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
This was mentioned last time.
He's not a member of a sect; he's a member of a particular Christian family.
There is much debate between the different Christian denominations about the finer points of the faith.

And again, he didnt express hatred for any group of individuals. Like it or not, he aired his religious views.

Misguided, inappropriate or wrongly worded perhaps but not hate speech.

Qantas is one of the leaders in political correctness stupidity, and that makes the situation worse.

It's highly unlikely he will back down from expressing his religious views.
hate speech
noun
noun: hate speech
  1. abusive or threatening speech or writing that expresses prejudice against a particular group, especially on the basis of race, religion, or sexual orientation.
    "we don't tolerate any form of hate speech"
Saying you are going to burn in hell for all eternity because of your sexual orientation, something you have no control over, is pretty threatening.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
hate speech
noun
  1. abusive or threatening speech or writing that expresses prejudice against a particular group, especially on the basis of race, religion, or sexual orientation.
Saying you are going to burn in hell for all eternity because of your sexual orientation, something you have no control over, is pretty threatening.

No, it's not. He would no doubt consider it a warning. Misguided maybe, but there's a big difference between warning people of the consequences (real or not) of their actions, and promising to bring those consequences about unless they adhere to what you believe.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Reckon we're straying pretty deep into the weeds here chaps. Once we start debating the reformation and freedom of speech you know it's almost time to turn on the lights and call last drinks.

I'd argue we should actually be discussing the reformation in more threads.

I believe many of the Wallabies tight forward issues can be traced back to the Council of Chalcedon- a fact that's been completely ignored by the fake news rugby media.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
Once upon a time sporting teams often had a chaplain. Somebody like Father Rod Bower should be called in to sort this out.

A team chaplain's not a bad idea, but if you're looking to restore a bit of harmony to the Wallabies set-up I don't think Reverend GetUp!'s the answer.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I wonder what he thinks of this ?

In Izzy's mind, he has repented to his lord and savior for the sin of marking his body. After repenting, he's now able to caste judgment on those who are living in sin.

The church he is part of needs to adopt the Sons of Anarchy approach on dealing with forbidden tatts.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
hate speech
noun
Blocking doesn't work when you're not logged in, so I saw that.

"Please don't cross the road without looking because I don't want you to get hit by a car" is quite clearly exactly the same thing as "I hope you get hit by a bus and die" in your world.

It wasn't persecution and it wasn't hate speech.

It was just wrong.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Blocking doesn't work when you're not logged in, so I saw that.

"Please don't cross the road without looking because I don't want you to get hit by a car" is quite clearly exactly the same thing as "I hope you get hit by a bus and die" in your world.

It wasn't persecution and it wasn't hate speech.

It was just wrong.
Please clarify in future my blocked status so i know whether to bother responding or not. o_O

I get kind of stuck on this. I see your point and perhaps on a strict interpretation you are right. But the practical outcome of what he said is to incite hate and persecute gay people.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
This conversation is actually very civil when you look at the comments sections on Fox Sports and ESPN. Lots of 'freedom of speech is dead!' and pro-religious propaganda being let through by their mods.

S

sidelineview

A team chaplain's not a bad idea, but if you're looking to restore a bit of harmony to the Wallabies set-up I don't think Reverend GetUp!'s the answer.

Would a Christian Chaplin be tolerated? It could be seen as discrimination towards other religions and against atheists.
Perhaps a Qantas-approved secular counselor would be acceptable, especially one who displayed the rainbow colours somewhere on their clothing.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'd argue we should actually be discussing the reformation in more threads.

I believe many of the Wallabies tight forward issues can be traced back to the Council of Chalcedon- a fact that's been completely ignored by the fake news rugby media.

He's right you know. What is the nature of Christ the forward pack? Is it a miaphysite being that has two exclusive natures, meaning it can only be good at set-piece or general play? Or is a monophysite being that can encompass both simultaneously? I believe that the ardent miaphysite Steady Eddie, following the passing of St John of Eales, may have taken the wrong path in extolling this mutually exclusive belief.

All I can say is, thank McCaw that he did.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Reckon we're straying pretty deep into the weeds here chaps. Once we start debating the reformation and freedom of speech you know it's almost time to turn on the lights and call last drinks.

Sounds like a good friday night drinks session to me

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think this is pointy end of diversity culture.

For all the platitudes about inclusiveness there seems to be a hierarchy of what segment of the diversity pie is more important/worthy than another

The world is still working through the reality that these things overlap and are not all complementary

Prediction: next will be a trans issue, that will be fun as well

edit - For the avoidance of doubt there term "fun" above is being used ironically
ie. the whole issue a can of worms with no right answer or consistant rules and makes the religion\sexuality nexus look relatively simple

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think this is pointy end of diversity culture.

For all the platitudes about inclusiveness there seems to be a hierarchy of what segment of the diversity pie is more important/worthy than another

The world is still working through the reality that these things overlap and are not all complementary

Prediction: next will be a trans issue, that will be fun as well
Its a popularity contest, surely. Cultural relativism, etc.

If this was the 50s Izzy wouldnt even be in the news.

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I see him as the equivalent of somebody standing on a street corner with a sandwich board* saying the end is nigh....just a oddball curiosity really.

* that sandwich board is now called twitter and 325k people are looking at it

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Give it a rest Adam, FP is one of the more measured and erudite posters in these parts and that wasn't what he meant. Your argument tends to lose its weight if you then heap all the same identity politics on the other party that you're accusing them of.

Status
Not open for further replies.