• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Israel Folau saga

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The end of the world is nigh, apparently. Explains everything, if you believe it. Mind you, there are at least half a dozen of these predictions current at any time. Just google.

But we are still here.

S

sidelineview

This is, again, perplexingly contradictory.

Israel has the right, free from consequence, to publicly state his negative religious position on homosexuals but people are not allowed to comment on his views subsequently?

That doesn't happen in any other scenario. All legal proceedings (save a very select few due to special circumstances, typically where a minor is involved) are open to the public to both witness and comment on.

They were RA employees and should have respected the process.
For any of them to state or infer the situation was untenable for Folau's return to the team was inappropriate.
It seems any negative opinion re Folau was acceptable.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
For any of them to state or infer the situation was untenable for Folau's return to the team was inappropriate.

They were the Wallabies coach and captain and they fronted the media in an official capacity.

Neither of them said his position was untenable.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Ugh man, why the hell can't Israel Folau respect the rules then? I suppose i can see the distinction you are trying to draw but im not at all convinced.

S

sidelineview

Ugh man, why the hell can't Israel Folau respect the rules then? I suppose i can see the distinction you are trying to draw but im not at all convinced.

It'll all come out in the wash. We'll see.
Unfortunately it looks like its headed to court.

S

sidelineview

They were the Wallabies coach and captain and they fronted the media in an official capacity.

Neither of them said his position was untenable.

Didnt the coach say he couldn't select him as it stands.
The sentiment was against Folau.
Other employed players like Genia opposed Folau.

All of them should have made no comment and let the process unfold. Imo.
Pretty shabby by RA.

Anyway, that's history.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Interesting if reports true that Folau was told could continue to play If he took his post down which he refused. I am personally over the IF saga and he has a right to do what he is doing as does RA as an employer to teminate him for not complying with their requirements which any other modern day professional sporting organisation would impose. Good luck with your next adventure Israel but if you refuse to step back making these sort of posts you are choosing to end your pro football career which is your choice.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Gee I hope Izzy is getting some good advice from somewhere. Reports today that he and his long term manager are estranged.

So far that's the RA head of integrity (Barrister) and a QC (Quade Cooper), and 2xSCs that think the contract was breached and the penalty was appropriate. There's obvious questions about independence there, but that's a fair weight of considered legal opinion.

It seems he's made no reasonable moves to resolve this which the courts always take a dim view on

A legal challenge will be long and expensive. And as it stands, the risk for Folau financially must be pretty huge.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Gee I hope Izzy is getting some good advice from somewhere. Reports today that he and his long term manager are estranged.

So far that's the RA head of integrity (Barrister) and a QC (Quade Cooper), and 2xSCs that think the contract was breached and the penalty was appropriate. There's obvious questions about independence there, but that's a fair weight of considered legal opinion.

A legal challenge will be long and expensive. And as it stands, the risk for Folau financially must be pretty huge.

It's alright, he has Alan Jones in his ear........

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sadly, I think it is headed for court and there will be no winners.

And highly likely that Israel will never play in AUS again. He may take the Russian deal, if that is for real. (Buts probably the only place he would get a start in any sport)

Going to cost him and RA lots of money no mater what the eventual outcome is.

Just think RA could have handled it better, taking the hard line to try and get IF to conform was always going to be high risk.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)

And highly likely that Israel will never play in AUS again. He may take the Russian deal, if that is for real. (Buts probably the only place he would get a start in any sport)

Just think RA could have handled it better, taking the hard line to try and get IF to conform was always going to be high risk.

RA should have not signed him up last year, but he promised that he would be good and walk away if there was a problem. They took him at his word and unfortunately he has not kept to this.

His outbursts have an impact on the attractiveness of RA to sponsors (look at Range Rover and ASICS who have already pulled money out) and RA isn't in the position where sponsors are lining up.

It also has an impact on team harmony particularly as he promised not to go down this path again.

No club in a major league would take the risk of hiring him so unfortunately we probably won't see him again on a sporting field. And as his sporting profile diminishes as too will his influence.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
RA should have not signed him up last year, but he promised that he would be good and walk away if there was a problem. They took him at his word and unfortunately he has not kept to this.

His outbursts have an impact on the attractiveness of RA to sponsors (look at Range Rover and ASICS who have already pulled money out) and RA isn't in the position where sponsors are lining up.

It also has an impact on team harmony particularly as he promised not to go down this path again.

No club in a major league would take the risk of hiring him so unfortunately we probably won't see him again on a sporting field. And as his sporting profile diminishes as too will his influence.

Sadly, you are probably right.

But there could be very significant fall out when he is terminated. Especially given the number of PI Players.

No winners

I think at this stage its a delusion or mental illness of sorts. Totally brain washed to a point he probably believes God has actually spoken to him and told him to leave the post there. And maybe he has, how would any of us know.

So he will be sacked for a religious belief. I can see that is wrong, but I can also see the impossible position RA have got themselves in and understand their position.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

I'm not sure playing in Russia would be a good idea, regardless of whether he had other options.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I think there wasn't really a viable alternative here.

Not offering Folau a new contract would have been even worse. How would you sell the fact that you haven't offered your highest profile player a new contract because you were worried he might make objectionable social media posts again in the future?

I would also wonder whether RA would be more likely to get sued successfully over that than the position they find themselves in now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom