• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Jinx Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
How good is this All Blacks team looking? Hungry, skillful, fit and lucky with the refs. I really can't see them dropping a match this 3N. Probably not this year. Certainly not to us. Their lineout is solid, their scrum excellent and their work at the breakdown exemplary. Their defence is impenetrable and their attack is inexorable.

Yes, they'll humiliate the Wallabies this Saturday. 43-0.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Well said. Jeez they are looking good, should be clearing space in the trophy cabinet for old Bill I reckon. It is just all coming together for them- the backline looks skilfull, the forwards have heaps of ticker and best of all no major injuries!!

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Damm those All Blacks look good. There is no way we can beat them. I remember hearing that before the 2003 RWC semi final.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Yeah, the All Blacks are too well-prepared for major injuries. Dan Carter's achilles tendon is looking especially supple and well-conditioned. Like a willow-branch wearing a russian leotard.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Look at this rubbish:

Australia openside flank David Pocock has been given a glowing report by New Zealand ahead of their massive Tri-Nations meeting this Saturday.

The Wallaby picked up the man-of-the-match award for his efforts in Brisbane, which earned him a great deal of praise. Yet he will instead be looking to follow up his Super 14 showing of this year, when the Crusaders lost to Western Force.

Pocock was a constant thorn in Richie McCaw's side that day and number eight Richard Brown is expecting more of the same in Melbourne.

''David is no slouch and he has now played well against Richie McCaw a number of times. I'd back him all the way,'' he said, speaking to the Sydney Morning Herald.

Meanwhile, All Blacks Head Coach Graham Henry has given his own glowing assessment of the player after his performance against the Boks.

''He played bloody well,'' Henry said.

''He is very combative at the tackle, and physically very strong and stable. So he has the ability to hang in. You get smashed around a lot trying to do the job in that area of the game, and he has the physical and mental strength to be able to handle that.''

Like Henry, McCaw was also impressed by his opposite number ahead of this Saturday and cited Pocock as being a real menace in slowing down South African ball last weekend.

''He did cause quite a nuisance of himself at the breakdown and you could see the Boks getting frustrated,'' said New Zealand's captain.

''So he had an impact there. The Springboks weren't as accurate as they would have liked and he [Pocock] is these days pretty good at reading how to get in there and be a menace.''
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_6281956,00.html

And this piffle:

Recalled All Black scrum-half Jimmy Cowan has hailed soon-to-be opposite number Will Genia as possessing the same cool style as Daniel Carter.

The duo will collide this Saturday in Melbourne with the Highlanders man starting ahead of new father Piri Weepu. Genia meanwhile is now a shoo-in for Australia after another strong showing last weekend, still with just 13 caps to his name.

But Cowan is refusing to start any mind games or verbal tactics ahead of the All Blacks fixture as he rates the Reds man as one of the world's best.

"Look at the two of us, we're totally different," he joked, speaking to AAP.

"You've seen that through his captaincy in the Super 14. He was pretty sharp in that area.

"He reminds me a lot of Dan Carter when he plays - he's pretty cool, calm and collected when he's playing and you sort of see that in his game too."

Genia scored what is quickly becoming his custom style of try against the Boks, pouncing on some weak fringe defence. But what has made his form that bit more impressive is that he's back from a broken hand that he picked up during the latter stages of the Super 14.

"It's a real testament to his character to come back and play like that, with intensity like that," added Cowan.

"He's just a tough little bugger too."

Such warrior similarities have not just been shown in the Test arena, however, with Genia unbelievably playing on against the Highlanders with strained knee ligament. And Cowan was only too quick to urge his opposite number to leave the field.

"I didn't know that at the time," Cowan said of Genia's injury.

"I kept telling him to get off but he wouldn't get off.

"I rate him very highly and he's just carried on where he left off in the Super 14, hasn't he, sniping and doing what he does best."
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_6281221,00.html

McCaw knows full well that Pocock is years away from nearing his own lofty heights. He'll step up this Saturday and put the young pretender in his place. Mark my words. And Genia? One word: leprosy.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah how good has Cowan been lately? Such a disciplined player, certainly will be no stupid penalites from him this weekend.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Too right fellas, those All Blacks look utterly invincible at the moment. Not even a team with Eales, Campese, Farr-Jones, Horan, Little and Ella could get close to them.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Fairly ordinary attempts to build the Wallabies up I thought just so they can look good when they win.

Everybody knows that Genia and Pocock are over-rated.

And Dan Carter is the best goal kicker in the world.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
am being taken away for the weekend by my lovely wife to a surprise location.

Hopefully its not Melbourne and hopefully I don't get any sex.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
am being taken away for the weekend by my lovely wife to a surprise location.

Hopefully its not Melbourne and hopefully I don't get any sex.

Oh come on. Turn in your Male Sex Membership card on your way out...

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Is that the best you guys can do? I do reckon the Wobblies will go the full 80 with 15 men on the park and the ref will ruin the game.

M

Muttonbird

The All Blacks will be soft and unfocused this Saturday after the NZ media and public have hailed them as the next big thing.

The Wallabies will be unified and determined at the thought of being labelled underdogs and, as always, when they play in Australia they will get a healthy dose of "hometown" decisions in their favour.

The Men-in-Gold's pick and go style of play will be fizzing at 100% and the All Blacks will fail to number-up in defence around the ruck and smash them onto their backsides.

Yep. The Wallabies have got this one in the bag and the win will fuel their quiet and understated belief that they can take the Bledisloe this year with the Tri-Nations Trophy as a nice bonus.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
It's going to be ground hog day this weekend. Darn those kiwis, they are just unstoppable and will certainly win again on a wet and windy night. Shmoo is bound to get another red and Richie won't be penalised at all. I suspect young A Finger will not cope with the pressure and Hogson will be on the bench all night.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The All Blacks will put at least 30 past the Wallabies this weekend. No way you'll come close to them.

In all honesty they are superb at the moment.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I'm not sure that counts as a jinx, coming from PaarlBok. I think that's just an honest appraisal.

All Blacks by 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.