• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

I’ll tell you what has given me the sh!ts in today’s media – its the article about (former Canadian Rugby Intl) Mike Pike playing for the Swans this weekend.
In it there is a quote by some nobody, claiming with absolutely no question that, ‘Everything in AFL is harder’ (than rugby).
What? Playing for your country in a world cup knock-out game is harder in AFL?
Packing down scrums is harder in AFL?
Catching a bomb out of your 22 with the entire opposition forward pack waiting to smash you is harder in AFL?
Fark you and everything about you AFL.

Sigh.

I guess if you were looking for something to take exception to, you could take exception to this.

Or if you had a balanced view, you'd probably think it's pretty normal for an ex-rugby player to consider everything about playing AFL being harder. Much like an ex-AFL player would probably find everything about rugby harder.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Which article are we talking about exactly?

I have read several Mike Pyke related articles today and in the last few days and none of them are critical of rugby.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Its in today's Australian
No, my view is balanced, and it wasn’t Mike Pike saying it. ( I actually find him to be a solid chap – clearly a rugby man!).

It was some other AFL nuffy who has never played rugby before stating that ‘Everything is harder in AFL’.

It was a deliberate put-down which he truly believes.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The aerobic requirements are a shitload harder in professional AFL. A lot of guys are running 20km+ and not a lot of it with the ball. Heaps of contact off the ball, and although its not that hard, he's a back, so its probably about equal for him because he was playing for Canada.

AND because backs are fucking pussies.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
The aerobic requirements are a shitload harder in professional AFL. A lot of guys are running 20km+ and not a lot of it with the ball. Heaps of contact off the ball, and although its not that hard, he's a back, so its probably about equal for him because he was playing for Canada.

AND because backs are fucking pussies.
Pretty sure he was a 2nd row

T

Train Without a Station

Actually just checked. Fullback. 200cm. Bit of a Paul Hauff isn't he?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
AFL in generally seems to have a much healthier respect for union than league. I know a lot of them appreciate union more than league too.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
AFL in generally seems to have a much healthier respect for union than league. I know a lot of them appreciate union more than league too.

they like the kicking.

AFL people bore me with their interpretations of rugby - every one of them who has discussed the game with me has told how he could fix all the Wallabies' problems by changing their kicking.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Its in today's Australian
No, my view is balanced, and it wasn’t Mike Pike saying it. ( I actually find him to be a solid chap – clearly a rugby man!).

It was some other AFL nuffy who has never played rugby before stating that ‘Everything is harder in AFL’.

It was a deliberate put-down which he truly believes.

I just read the article in a copy of The Australian in a cafe.

All that you can be talking about is two sentences which follow on from his ruck coach suggesting he still doesn't know all the rules.

It says something like:

Everything is harder about AFL. In rugby it's fairly easy to run in the right direction. In the AFL it's an elite skill.

You're kidding yourself if you're getting upset over that.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Hi comment was, 'Everything is harder in AFL'.
Such a flippant comment pisses me off, is wrong and disrespects rugby.
Feel free to disagree and watch AFL continue to destroy Australian sport. Basketball first, cricket next.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hi comment was, 'Everything is harder in AFL'.
Such a flippant comment pisses me off, is wrong and disrespects rugby.
Feel free to disagree and watch AFL continue to destroy Australian sport. Basketball first, cricket next.

It was just a segue into a comment about it often not being clear which
direction a player should be running in AFL.

It is a flippant comment because it was leading into a bit of a joke.

Australian basketball has probably never been stronger. A reasonable part of it currently is because American players who came out here in the '80s now have kids who are awesome and are Aussies.

Blaming AFL for killing basketball in Australia is a long bow to draw.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
OK Crashy think we've got the picture. Can understand where you're coming from and as I pointed out: Mike never played sustained top level rugby so its a little different for him.

And to everyone who doubted me: big Mike Pyke fan here. I know my shit ;) Watching him smash blokes in the AFL is my favourite part of the whole game, because he's the only one out there who knows how to!

P.S. FUCK basketball.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Australian basketball has probably never been stronger. A reasonable part of it currently is because American players who came out here in the '80s now have kids who are awesome and are Aussies.

Blaming AFL for killing basketball in Australia is a long bow to draw.

The NBL was definitely much bigger back in the late 80's/early 90's, particularly in cities such as Melbourne and Canberra........... but it only has itself to blame for its own downfall.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

AFL is going to kill cricket?

Possibly the most popular sport in Australia?

A summer sport the AFL doesn't compete with?

Right..............

o_O

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
What I can say on the AFL v Bball issue is that when the NBL had prime time free to air coverage (ie on Channel 10 Saturday night at 7:30) it was the AFL that paid massive overs to get that spot and basically priced the NBL out of the market.

The major sponsor for the NBL (Mitsubishi) dropped off after it lost that FTA slot and it started to go to water thereafter.

It tried to reinvent itself on fox but it was losing money like nothing and a combination of questionable management and lack of big money behind it (and teams crumbling) it was on the brink.

I've been a huge NBL fan since the early 80s, and still follow it but it's one of the sad stories of Aussie sport.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What I can say on the AFL v Bball issue is that when the NBL had prime time free to air coverage (ie on Channel 10 Saturday night at 7:30) it was the AFL that paid massive overs to get that spot and basically priced the NBL out of the market.

The major sponsor for the NBL (Mitsubishi) dropped off after it lost that FTA slot and it started to go to water thereafter.

It tried to reinvent itself on fox but it was losing money like nothing and a combination of questionable management and lack of big money behind it (and teams crumbling) it was on the brink.

I've been a huge NBL fan since the early 80s, and still follow it but it's one of the sad stories of Aussie sport.

Actually, it would've been Channel 10 forking out the money to get the AFL in that time slot...............

Status
Not open for further replies.