• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Most Valuable Player in Australian Rugby ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Dollars wise I would think that Folau, Cooper, Pocock, Genia and Beale are the higest paid ATM - maybe AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as well.
Interesting fact: most are backs.

Some of the forwards are coming to contract upgrades: Hooper and Slipper are both young guns performing extremely well and probably deserve to be near the top of the tree. Trouble for M Hooper is the ARU surely view Mr Pocock as a real challenge for the 7 spot. Slipper (and even Keps) on the other hand has daylight behind him and he still a young bloke (25).. Moore is nearly done as is TPN so huge contracts won't be offered.

Simmo is still not far above his competitors but surely will get an upgrade. Horwill is a spent force (at contract time). Skelton is lucky to be even in the squad.

Genia will be downgraded as will Cooper - they are not seen as the "stand-outs" they once were. KB (Kurtley Beale) will also get a pay cut, I would think.

Most playing positions are covered by multiple players so the incumbants don't command the big contracts (that is just a fact of business - supply V demand).

Is Izzy worth the huge bucks. Not to me. He was shown up badly last week (yeah I acknowledge that was 1 week). Opposition teams seemed to have, to a degree, worked him out so his effectiveness just isn't as great.

TK has been a revelation. He should get a big big payday

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Players don't necessarily get paid what they're worth on the field. Backs get paid much more because it's their faces on the highlight reel, attracting sponsors, media interest etc. Folau is worth so much because so many articles featuring him will be read by League and maybe AFL fans.

People get upset that he mentions wanting to work with a league coach for example but you have to understand that if he says things like this the article gets put on the league section of the internet sights as well as the union ones. I doubt the ARU discourage it they probably do the opposite. That's why he's worth do much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Folau gets paid so much because he has other viable offers that the ARU have to match if they want him on the books.

Nobody else in the team has 16 NRL clubs as well as the French and English teams sniffing around.

You are only worth as much as what someone else is willing to pay for you (which is why Aussie tight forwards are never on big $$$…)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Folau gets paid so much because he has other viable offers that the ARU have to match if they want him on the books.

Nobody else in the team has 16 NRL clubs as well as the French and English teams sniffing around.

You are only worth as much as what someone else is willing to pay for you (which is why Aussie tight forwards are never on big $$$…)

Agree with that. BUT is he worth the $$$$$$ - suppose that is the question.

I understand that as a marketing strategy Folau is probably worth the money. His on-field performaces don't necessarily reconcile with his marketability

Example I have posed before: Wendell Salior signed by the Reds for a huge contract in its day - $500,000 for 3 years. People were horrified blah blah blah. Supposedly the increased crowd attendances in the first half (or thereabouts) of the first year of the contract paid for the whole 3 years.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Agree with that. BUT is he worth the $$$$$$ - suppose that is the question.

I understand that as a marketing strategy Folau is probably worth the money. His on-field performaces don't necessarily reconcile with his marketability

Example I have posed before: Wendell Salior signed by the Reds for a huge contract in its day - $500,000 for 3 years. People were horrified blah blah blah. Supposedly the increased crowd attendances in the first half (or thereabouts) of the first year of the contract paid for the whole 3 years.

I'd say his on field performances easily justify his salary.

He's just won the JEM, he was probably unlucky to not be a nominee for the IRB Player of the Year and he's already 15th on the Wallabies all time try scoring list after only 27 tests. His try scoring strike rate is only slightly behind Campese who is miles ahead of everyone else.

T

Train Without a Station

Zero. Unless I was there I'd say. And Peter Grigg works down in South Melbourne, so perhaps he'd notice them.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Zero. Unless I was there I'd say. And Peter Grigg works down in South Melbourne, so perhaps he'd notice them.
Not even KHunt or Izzy?

Maybe the better question is who gets recognised on Queen St?
It's Izzy, Quade, K Hunt. Maybe Horwill depending on how much he can hide behind his beard. Not many others.

T

Train Without a Station

Actually Hunt probably would by a few. As that bloke who kicked the winning goal against Richmond in 2012.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Not that it needs rehashing but the Wallabies 'brand' has died in Victoria in the last decade. We once sold out the MCG for a Bledisloe Cup match, with Gregan, Eales, Burke etc being if not household names, at least easily recognisable.

Anyway. Understanding the tension between paying a bloke for his on-field worth and contribution and rewarding the guys that bring the business and sponsorship $$$, I'd like to see Slipper get some solid compensation.

I've read in France the tighthead is the most revered and respected player in most teams. I'd love a similar ethos in Australia.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I've read in France the tighthead is the most revered and respected player in most teams. I'd love a similar ethos in Australia.

I don't think that's ever going to be close to the case here.

On the front page of GAGR in the player ratings against France, Foley gets a 4 after kicking 6 from 6 and most of the posts are saying that his rating should be lower.

T

Train Without a Station

BH, the criticism of Foley is that he kicks high percentages by taking kicks within 40, never outside the train tracks though.

People take issue with him being lauded for Wilkinson-like kicking when the team never opts to take the hard ones that a player like that would.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I don't think that's ever going to be close to the case here.

On the front page of GAGR in the player ratings against France, Foley gets a 4 after kicking 6 from 6 and most of the posts are saying that his rating should be lower.

Of course - that is only 1 facet of his play. His general play should see him dropped this week. QC (Quade Cooper) can kick as well. He should be a lot better around the field. If not, then we might be rooted

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH, the criticism of Foley is that he kicks high percentages by taking kicks within 40, never outside the train tracks though.

People take issue with him being lauded for Wilkinson-like kicking when the team never opts to take the hard ones that a player like that would.

That's not even close to what I'm trying to say.

Do you not think there is some correlation between our consistently below average goalkicking and scrummaging, particularly relative to our ranking as a rugby nation and the things we value as important in the game?

Likewise, many people thought it was outrageous than Johnny Sexton was nominated for the IRB player of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.