• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Most Valuable Player in Australian Rugby ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paradox

I don't think that's ever going to be close to the case here.

On the front page of GAGR in the player ratings against France, Foley gets a 4 after kicking 6 from 6 and most of the posts are saying that his rating should be lower.

Lilo kicked at 83% last year at international level and wasn't really a fan favorite either.

This thread is about $$$. I daresay Folau is the most valuable player. Who has the most twitter followers?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
If you offered the average fan (or even anyone on this board) a chance to watch a replay of every scrum in a match, every kick at goal, or every backline move, would anyone choose anything but the latter?
Look I love a good backline move but jesus a great scrum can give a block strange feeling down below. It's team work that no backline move can hope to emulate.
This but wrong order
I actually think Slipper is much more important to the Wallabies than Kepu. I also think people get to caught up in the tighthead mantra.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I agree with Qwerty's order on the rational that there is the biggest gap between Kepu and our next best. Every other position could be replaced with less concern. As things stand at the moment, if we lose Kepu we're stuffed.

Edit: yeah - what he said

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Fair point. But I don't think Slipper was ever as good at 3 as he is going at 1, nor as good as Kepu is currently going at 3.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If you offered the average fan (or even anyone on this board) a chance to watch a replay of every scrum in a match, every kick at goal, or every backline move, would anyone choose anything but the latter?

From the weekend's tests I'll take the scrums from Italy v Argentina hands down thanks. There was some effort going in from both packs. It was a great example of what can happen under the current rules when both packs come to contest the scrums.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
From the weekend's tests I'll take the scrums from Italy v Argentina hands down thanks. There was some effort going in from both packs. It was a great example of what can happen under the current rules when both packs come to contest the scrums.
If you've been good this year that,'s what you'll get.

If you've been bad you'll have to watch the scrums form the last 20 minutes of this week's Ireland v Australia. The two Ben's v The Irish reserves, truly a mouth watering contest.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The Wallabies would be served well with the inclusion of Australia's most valuable forwards to have barely played tests: Dan Palmer, Albert Anae and Salesi Ma'afu as our front row (would need to convert Dan to hooker as he is on the smaller side these days), Kane Douglas and Hugh Pyle as our locks, and Peter Kimlin, Julian Salvi and Leroy Houston as our back row.

World beaters right there

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
THAT'S why they have the numbers 1 and 3 on their backs.

To assist you: Number 1 is the Loosehead Prop - he's the one on the side where our Number 9 (halfback) puts the ball into the scrum.

Number 3 is theTighthead Prop and the bloke on the other side of the scrum

Shit Scrubber, all these years of my playing/coaching/refereeing/following rugby, & yet I learn something new every day.:p

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
1- Israel Folau
2- Sekope Kepu
3- James Slipper
4- Michael Hooper
5- Wycliff Palu
6- Tevita Kuridrani

Pocock is out for his injuries, but under normal conditions, he should be on this list ahead of Hooper

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Shit Scrubber, all these years of my playing/coaching/refereeing/following rugby, & yet I learn something new every day.:p

mate - haha - of course my post wasn't for an excellant rugby exponent and objective critic of the game as yourself, merely for another less informed.

Have a gresat day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I suppose there should be 2 ways of looking at the question

1. $$$$$$$ - clearly that would be Israel - marketing, presence, cross code player

2. On Field Contribution: Probably Slipper from Keps from Hooper from TK then daylight. I think those blokes probably in any order, would make me content.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Number 4 or 5 my whole life ;-)

And with all the discussion on here about tight head props there is never enough about the tight head lock, who is usually just as important/the cause of much of the problem.

I just have very little interest in watching scrums given the way they are fed, refereed, covered by the broadcasters and commentated on, especially if I'm 20 rows back in the top tier at Suncorp and can't see what's going on anyway..

I think Will Skelton is putting a lot more focus on the role of TH lock atm. He could be the tipping point.

T

TOCC

Kurtley Beale and Quade Cooper when in form and when playing without off-field issues would be right up there.. Quade obviously more valuable in QLD and Kurltey more valuable in NSW.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Kurtley Beale and Quade Cooper when in form and when playing without off-field issues would be right up there.. Quade obviously more valuable in QLD and Kurltey more valuable in NSW.

Based on twitter, the two of them were trying to settle this over a game of FIFA a little while ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.