• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The new Wallaby jersey

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Wallabies have some form of tradition of white jerseys going back to the transition from green to gold (1956) and earlier. I also suspect they mandate its a lighter alternative.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
the shade of green is actually what I dislike most about this jersey, the classic jersey from my childhood is the Canterbury 1999 rugby world cup design with that almost emerald green (which you can almost see reflected in the shade used by G&GR). These days most of the producers are tending to go to base colours where the gold is fluro yellow and green a sick collared greens green. Its unfortunate.

F%$# Me. Now I know I'm old or officially hit mid life crisis level when somebody is referring to the 99 version as a classic from their f-ing childhood. :(

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I must disclose that I am the owner of one of these monstrosities. I coached a 13s or 14s team in whatever year that was and the kids bought me the jersey as an end of season gift. Can't remember the last time I wore it. I'm saving it in case I'm invited to a bad taste party.:)
1997-wallabies-jersey-jpg.3432

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
F%$# Me. Now I know I'm old or officially hit mid life crisis level when somebody is referring to the 99 version as a classic from their f-ing childhood. :(
@Gnostic, To many on here, the Y2K bug is ancient history like George Orwells novel 1984, and the collected works of Jules Verne and Billy Shakespeare, and Bledisloe Cup victories.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
RF, blue and gold WERE our heraldic colours. One of the series in the 50s against the Bokke was the turning point for the Australian rugby team to change from green to gold so as not to conflict with them (prior to the 50s the rugby boys wore green); following that many of our sporting teams adopted green and gold as their sporting colours. To his eternal credit that wonderful Australian, Bob Hawke, changed the appropriate laws to make our national colours green and gold.

There's a magnificent tapestry of Australia's coat of arms in the main chamber of the High Court building in Canberra, edged in blue and gold. They were, of course, our national colours when the building was opened in 1980.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Wallabies have some form of tradition of white jerseys going back to the transition from green to gold (1956) and earlier. I also suspect they mandate its a lighter alternative.

I kinda thought that too, but a lighter alternative to a light yellow? Kinda like Scotland going for a dark alternative to Navy isn't it?

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I have to say that the jersey looks a fair bit better in the photographs with players. It's certainly far too yellow for my liking but that has been a pretty standard complaint for a while now.

I'm glad the 'waves' on the front are far less visible than they were in the supporter jersey photo posted yesterday.

I agree. Worn by players it's a little less horrible but still is the worst Wallaby jersey I've seen. Maybe because they wear a green short with green socks. But from the supporters perspective, wear a canary yellow jersey without green isn't very nice.

The positive side: I saved 160$

The only way I could buy this jersey is if the Wobs win the WC, beating to the ABs at Twickenham. In that case I would be so happy that I would buy me a pink jersey with the Wallabies logo with the quote: "I'm not an Alcoholic, I only drink when the All Blacks lost a WC abroad"

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
RF, blue and gold WERE our heraldic colours. One of the series in the 50s against the Bokke was the turning point for the Australian rugby team to change from green to gold so as not to conflict with them (prior to the 50s the rugby boys wore green); following that many of our sporting teams adopted green and gold as their sporting colours. To his eternal credit that wonderful Australian, Bob Hawke, changed the appropriate laws to make our national colours green and gold.

There's a magnificent tapestry of Australia's coat of arms in the main chamber of the High Court building in Canberra, edged in blue and gold. They were, of course, our national colours when the building was opened in 1980.

They still ARE our heraldic colours, just not our national ones. but yes, I get your point.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
"Wallabies’ World Cup jersey causes outrage among supporters for awful design"

GAGR gains yet more mentions. The vomiting pineapple post heading for legendary status throughout Australia.

(EDIT 5:35pm: Also front page of tonight's The Australian emailed headlines bulletin as 'Thats a Shocker')

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...for-awful-design/story-fnii0mk9-1227390936685

We've got a mention in the NZ Herald on line.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11462902

Pineapple cruiser vomit seems to be going viral.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Alec Ross' Wallaby jersey from 1930. Enough to make the heart skip a beat.

1930-Alec-Ross-4.jpg
I once briefly wore one of those one night about 15 years ago at a party in the wee small hours, albeit from the early 50s - same colours, wool - would have been bloody heavy in a rainy game! But a serious bit of kit. It's a long story.........