• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Official Shield Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
pozible is also another big one in australia, You have to read the rules, one of the hindrances for a former project I did was the physical incentives we needed to provide back to the pledgers.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
OzCrowd is a local one, and doesn't seem to need physical incentives, certainly a bloke from high school who raised funds for a decathlon in Japan didn't have them.

Looking at it, 2.9% flat fees plus credit card fees of 30 cents plus 2.5%. Not too shabby, but I don't know anything else about them.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
so I have a new design idea.

rugby.jpg

What about a cup based on the classic rugby huddle. Where the men on their knees are in a huddle on a wooden base holding up a wooden bowl or cup. So the cups neck is made up of a team of anonymous rugby guys huddling together.

I think it would embody the spirit of rugby.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
carved out of wood? or cast in silver? Either way sounds complex (time and money).

Thoughts on paper:

simplest idea is a wooden shield, with a large silver plaque stating the name of the shield (and possibly a message to the winner - something about embodying the Spirit of Rugby). Needs a bottle opener cut into the back of it.

Name ideas? I still like the Shaun Mackey Shield, or we could call it the Community Shield, or the Spirit of Rugby Shield. In the end it's about the rugby community donating it to the game.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Either Green and Gold Challenge Shield, the Cosgrove Shield, or the Grass Roots Challenge Trophy.

Confirm the rules (I like the Randfurly Shield concept - must defeat the holder at their home). Establish a budget/target (say $2k). Establish a bank account. Publish the BSB and account number on here.

I'm in for $100. Only need 19 other likeminded Gaggerlanders to get $2k.

Make it happen. Keep it simple.

Carpe Diem.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Got a couple of ideas, but I need to get drunk then sober up before I know if they're reasonable or not.

I'm definitely in for $25-$100 depending om the final cost though.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I'm in for $100 too. I don't think we should tour it to the website though. It should be representative of a wider audience

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Ok. Highlanders stupid train of thought.

GAGR is a great community, and doing this shield/cup/trophy on its own would still be a very good thing to do. However, the trophy is about the rugby community as a whole as well, and to go on our own feels somewhat insular to me. Doing crowdfunding would allow a lot of people who aren't part of this community to join along as well. $2000 From 20-50 GAGR members and $2000 from 100+ members of the community at a whole is the same amount of money, but far more inclusive.

In terms of providing tiers and physical rewards and such, the obvious thing to do would be to go for a site that didn't require them, but you could do something.

Specifically, you could create some sort of booklet. Not flashy I know, but still. Say, A5, professionally designed with all the information about a bunch of things. The idea behind the Trophy, both concept and design. The rules for the Trophy. The founding of the NRC, it's spiritual precursor in the ARC, summary of the 2014 season. Who Shaun Mackay is, and why the trophy was named after him. A quick history of GAGR.

2 obvious tiers. Someone who pays more than $x gets a copy of the booklet, and someone who pays more than $y gets their name in the booklet as a significant contributor. With oodles of Good writers on the site, that's plenty of free labour for the writing, so the costs would be for a Designer and some Photo releases, as well as distribution.

As I said, happy to keep it ridiculously simple as well, and just get a few dozen of us to do it, but something to consider.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
We don't have the time to do a Senate Committee investigation into the mostest bestest way of implementation having consulted all the stakeholders.

We've already got about $300 committed. Who else is in?

Nike.

T

TOCC

I agree with Highlander, this needs to be a broader rugby community thing if it's to get any traction and be pushed through..

My suggestion, launch a crowdfunding drive in conjunction with a petition, come up with a proposal on the intent of the trophy outlining the details and concept of awarding the trophy, present this In a professional proposal to all the Super Rugby clubs and NRC teams, ask for expressions of interest.. Once there is a backing, forward this to the ARU and present a case which can't be ignored.

Lastly but not least, this needs to be a awarded on behalf of the Australian Rugby community, ARU may be the appointed stewards of awarding the trophy but it's on behalf of the public... No selling the naming rights or attempt to 'go corporate'.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
I'll chip in too

My only thought is that like the RS it is by the side of the pitch during the games and those that helped get to stand or sit close by and get some snaps with winning captain if they so choose

Also if we could get some sponsorship down the line from Sony or somebody we could all nominate some charities to benefit

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ok guys great stuff. I'd implore you to maintain the momentum. I've been in touch with the ARU, they have a guy on to market the NRC now which is a good step.

I've explained that we are doing this, with or without them, but I think we want them on side.

I'm happy to take the lead on this for the time being because its a great concept that hasn't gone anywhere.

I'd like to think we will have something set up next week to start taking donations.

My thoughts however is that its 'no strings attached'. We don't have the resources to apply to manage recognition whether it be creating a booklet, or distributing tickets next to the trophy. So if you donate, thanks you're doing because you believe in it. Fantastic. We might be able to record a list of names on the (or a different) web site somewhere but don't expect any 'ground life memberships' or anything.

I'm with TOCC in that this represents the rugby community. It won't be corporatised (ie it won't be the Sony Cup). It's a one off project to raise the funds to design and build and that's it.

It will be pushed the GAGR first and foremost and if we get sufficient funds through that, then great. If we need to get more than hopefully our relationship with the ARU and most of the unions will help take it further.

More details will flow, pretty quickly hopefully. Keep them coming here, including feedback on what I've said above.

From a design perspective, I am now thinking we make this a traditional shied. The NRC trophy is unique enough (the toaster) so think we could balance that by using an old school shield like the Ranfurly is (below). Who ever holds it at the end of the year, gets their name engraved.

4159333.jpg

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
names we will have to consider more broadly.

Shaun Mackay does fit as he played for Melbourne, the Brumbies and in Qld and NSW. But there are a few awards named after him these days and I wouldn't want to complicate it.

Something as simple as "The Community Shield" is an option.

Frank Row was our first Wallaby captain - the Row Shield

Or just someone more well known. Catchpole, McQueen, Templeton, Shehadie, Horan, etc

Brainstorm on amateur/grassroots rugby terminology?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah I've given the Mackay thing a lot of thought since I wrote that article and while its worthy, having received a bit of public acclaim, is it broad enough? There are a few things in his honour already e.g. Brumbies have something and I'm pretty sure other organisations have something too.

I'm not sure we want to go back too far into history, but naming it after a more recent human also risks a bit of unwanted interest for that person. Particularly if they're a Sydney club personality who doesn't even like the NRC ;)

So something less focused on a specific personality. While "Community Shield" fits, its a bit bland.

Using GAGR on it anywhere doesn't sit right with me because its slightly hypocritical that we say on one hand we don't want a sponsor attached to it, then essentially we are. o_O

I kind of know what I don't want, but don't have much in the way of what I do want.

Will give it some thought while I'm coaching tomorrow.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Or if we DID know a personality who would be interested, that might help?

That could work Gunner - but what about a little broader like "The Remembrance Shield" ? That way we kind of cover the guys like Mackay as well

Southern Cross Plate/Shield

something-something Wattle

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
I always wanted the third tiers award to be called the barrack square shield as it was the first place in Australia that rugby was supposedly played by random ship comers, alternatively we look at how rugby's organisation came from the roots and the first unions were set up at the oxford tavern (I think?)

Other notable mentions, memorial shield as in all soldiers, southern rugby shield with a tip to the first name of the union here or colonial shield just because we can own that name begrudgingly.

On design, what sort of shape will we be looking at? How will we make it iconic outside from any other standard shield in play? obviously the ranfurly has a very unique shape to it. I still think a big plank of burl would be both easy and unique. Keep the rough edges on it, made of local gum and put a plate and handles on it if you must.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Though I also think designing and having a wooden cup made with the stem of a huddled group of players could grow into an iconic trophy easily and not be overly difficult to produce with the right management.

Status
Not open for further replies.